“Much better than expected”

Holiday Inn Bar Harbor Regency
Ranked #30 of 41 Hotels in Bar Harbor
Grand Cayman
“Much better than expected”
Reviewed October 14, 2012

we booked a cheap deal so ended up with a room facing the car park and pine trees but that aside it was a very good pick. The staff were all very friendly, the hotel clean and well maintained, very nice bar and restaurant just off the lobby, $5 in a taxi into town, rooms are large and had armchairs by a huge window that we watched the sunset, over the car park and pine trees.

Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (370)
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Auckland NZ
Reviewed October 14, 2012

Stayed here two nights while on a Trafalgar coach tour. Spouse and self believed the hotel to be fairly average though do understand that our room would have been discounted so would not have been the top rated.
Greatly enjoyed a lobster dinner on one evening as part of the tour but cannot recall what we ate in the restaurant privately on the other evening.
Breakfasts in the Stone House were just OK though we needed to walk through rain on one morning.
I suspect there are better hotels in Bar Harbor though these have not been experienced by us. BH is great for visits to Acadia National Park.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Durham, North Carolina, United States
Reviewed October 13, 2012

We would have totally enjoyed our sty except when we returned from dinner we found our room door open wide. The staff said the maid left it open but could give no explanation why she was in the room, then they changed the story to the Supervisor may have been in the room, but then they admit they don't know that either. They would not call a manage and don't have security. We lost a trailer hitch last night in the parking lot. They don't have any security cameras either. We just don't feel safe here. Everything else was very ice.

Room Tip: Stay in the main building
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank Douglas B
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Bar Harbor Regency, responded to this review, October 26, 2012
Dear Douglas B,

We look forward to hearing back from you soon.

Janice A.
Case Manager
IHGCare
Wilmington, Delaware
Reviewed October 13, 2012

I had only one night to spend in Bar Harbor on my own so I wanted to stay somewhere safe and particularly avoided motels and inns (where there seemed plenty of room availability). I wanted to stay in a B&B, but the places I contacted required a 2-night minimum stay. (I made this trip during the first week of October)

I chose this hotel because it accepted a one night stay, and I heard the Obamas stayed a this place when they came for their vacation in 2010. If the President stayed at this place, it must be safe! The hotel is a short drive from Bar Harbor and close to a gate entrance to the park (which is good if you have very little time to explore the area/the park like I had). Their outdoor facilities (Lobster shack, bar, etc) were already closed for the season and the grounds were being prepared for winter, which was unfortunate as the weather wasn't that cold yet and it made the place feel a little unwelcoming.

I wasn't particularly impressed with the views of Frenchman bay. It is just a view of a body of water - not particularly captivating.

The room I was given is located in a building that is detached from the main building where there the rooms have no views. My room looked tired and needed some care and attention. Because of the poor quality of the room, I felt that I paid too much for what I got. I was most concerned when I found out that the card security for the building was not working. With the card security not working and the building detached from the rest of the main hotel, anyone can just walk in and out of the building.

I'd stay here again only if I had no better option. I think this place charged too much for the quality of their rooms and service.

Room Tip: My room looked tired.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank MidlifeF

Travelers are raving about these Bar Harbor hotels

Portland, Maine
Reviewed October 7, 2012

Staff was very friendly and polite. The room description said it was partial view of the ocean, but neglected to state mostly a view of the parking lot. The grounds were very nice and well maintained, but it was obvious that this did not carry over to the inside of the buildings. The room was clean, but had a bad odor. There were also cracks in the ceiling. For $235 per night I expected something a little nicer than what I compare to a cheap motel.

Room Tip: don't stay here unless the rate is less than $100 per night other wise it is not worth it.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Robc c
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Bar Harbor Regency, responded to this review, October 24, 2012
Dear Robc c,

As always we are glad to read feedback from one of our valued guests. Thank you for recognizing our polite staff and well maintained grounds. However, it sounds like we fell below your expectations, and I apologize you were not satisfied with the hotel interior, unusual smell of the room, condition of the ceiling and room rates. I have taken note and wish to thank you for all your valuable comments. These are of great importance to us and allow us to monitor and improve our service continually.

Again, we are sorry that you did not enjoy your stay and hope that you give our hotel another chance to provide you with a better experience.

Zelyn N
Case Manager
IHGCare
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed October 7, 2012 via mobile

This is an absolutely gorgeous resort. Many of the rooms in the main building are oceanfront. Absolutely pay the few dollars difference to sit on your own deck with a cup of coffee, watching the spectacular sunrise. Restaurant is great for dinner and drinks. Located a five minute drive from town and five minutes from Acadia. They have restored the original Bar Harbor Club, now protected by the Eden Trust. Cleaning staff are the only limitation. Otherwise, enjoy this terrific location. Parking is free of charge.

• Stayed October 2012
Trinity, North Carolina
Reviewed October 6, 2012

Hotel staff was very courteous and accomodating when a room change was requested because of a noisy air conditioner. Beware -- when restaurant suggestions were made they are all programmed to give the same answer. The restaurants in downtown Bar Harbor are totally cruise ship oriented -- ie. the food does not need to be good because they know they will never see you again.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple