“overpriced and mediocre Inn”
Review of Bar Harbor Inn

Bar Harbor Inn
Ranked #10 of 41 Hotels in Bar Harbor
Reviewed September 14, 2007

Terrible do not go…..
We stayed at the Inn for five days in August for our honeymoon. Upon arrival, I found out that the honeymoon package I spend 300.00 on was not put into my reservation package. There were no apologies and there was no attempt to make up for the mistake. When we arrived in the room, which I was told by the reservation staff was large and had a Jacuzzi and fireplace and private balcony, I saw a room that was cramped, sans fireplace and had a small cramped patio that had hedges so overgrown in front, you could not see the beautiful view of the ocean in front!
We promptly switched to another mediocre room with a fireplace. The Jacuzzi was so loud it actually vibrated the bathroom and we had to literally yell at each other in the tub. Needless to say the Jacuzzi was not usable. Money down the drain. It took two days and several requests to receive the champagne and strawberries as part of our honeymoon package (it was supposed to be in the room on arrival). When we finally received the strawberries, room service went into our room while I was in the bathroom to put the strawberries down. They just entered the room without our permission during our honeymoon I was beside myself. Housekeeping knocked on our door repeatedly despite do not disturb signs because they “had” to replace out bathrobes in our room. The dinners included in our package were mediocre at best. The steaks were overcooked and tough both nights. At $36.00 a steak, I do expect it to be cooked correctly and to melt in my mouth. Breakfasts were very good and delivered within twenty minutes of ordering. The spa was wonderful and my massage was out of this world. We did communicate our complaints to hotel management and no response was given. I am not one of those people who are never satisfied and it takes a lot for me to complain. This hotel is not worth the money it costs to stay there.
The hotel has a spectacular view but the rooms are as nice as any Holiday Inns I have stayed in…nothing more. For the prices we spent, and for what we received, it was not even close. I will defiantly visit Bar Harbor again but will stay somewhere different. I am just sad our honeymoon there was not what we had hoped. We did have a wonderful time in Bar Harbor nonetheless.

• Stayed: August 2007, traveled as a couple
14  Thank JeffPalmer80
Write a ReviewReviews (1,774)

Reviewed September 12, 2007

We have stayed at the Bar Harbor Inn once a year for the past eight years, and this year we were there twice, because my daughter got engaged there. My soon to be son in law, proposed in the gazebo, where the inn had set up a dining table with linens, rose petals and a nice meal for them. Before this, he had booked a spa treatment for her, while we were arriving. The Bar Harbor Inn has a lovely spa where my daughter has been twice now, which she thought was wonderful. The Inn has one of the prettiest locations that I have ever seen. And everytime we come into the driveway, it takes my breath away. The Bar Harbor Inn does a wonderful job on the landscaping and flowers, it always looks so pretty. My husband and I always stay in one of the oceanfront rooms that has a small balcony. The rooms are very clean and comfortable with many amenities. We always take advantage of the continental breakfast, which is very filling with a nice variety of things to choose from. I think they have done over some of the rooms and have updated them. This will be nice when all the rooms have had this updating. One of the other things that stands out at the Bar Harbor Inn, is the very friendly staff. They are always at your service with a smile. Being at the inn is so relaxing and peaceful....we sit on our balcony and watch a few lobster boats going out or some kayakers gliding by. Being there is a real stress reliever. Such a lovely, lovely place to be.

Stayed: September 2007
1  Thank BHRgirl
Reviewed September 5, 2007

My wife and I stayed at the Bar Harbor Inn for a week and loved every morning waking up to the ocean view and great service. The rooms were very nice and the staff very helpful!! We will return.

• Stayed: August 2007
Reviewed August 30, 2007

An absolutely wonderful experience. The service was perfect, the restaurant outstanding. The employees were courteous and caring.

• Stayed: August 2007, traveled with family
1  Thank mart13057
Reviewed August 29, 2007

I did a lot of research on hotels to stay at in Bar Harbor. I wanted to report that The Bar Harbor Inn was wonderful. It arguably has the nicest location of any hotel in Bar Harbor. The view is phenomenol, the hotel is gracious and old, but charming...you are within walking distance of everything in town (stores and restaurants, that is).The Newport ROoms, although they have no view, were clean and comfortable and a good value in August. We paid $219 per night and the rate included a full breakfast. Well, a large buffet...no hot eggs or pancakes, but they had hardboiled eggs, tons of fruit, coffee cake, bagels, etc. We booked late and probably would have gotten still better rates had we booked much earlier. The oceanfront rooms across from Newport were virtually identical to our rooms in Newport, but they had a great view. We live near the ocean, so didn't much care about that.

If you go to Bar Harbor, check out The Deck House in Southwest Harbor. It's a small restaurant which has a wonderful broadway cabaret program. i believe they perform every evening in the summer. Actors and singers mostly from NYC....the real deal!
There is a $10 cover fee per diner to pay the waiters/performers.

We stayed 1 night at Harborside Hotel and Marina which was around the corner from the Bar Harbor Inn. It had a beautiful pool and a nicer lobby, arguably, but our room was smaller and had no little refridgerator in it. The fridge comes in handy for storing lunch ingredients for hiking in Acadia. We paid over a hundred dollars more for the room, which had no view, and it wasn't worth it.

The Harborside is newer than the BHI and also has a good location, but somehow, I didn't like it as much. Slightly nicer hotel, but not as charming. Front desk people were all foreign and not particularly warm and welcoming.

Bar Harbor was a great destination for our family of 4....with 2 kids ages 9 and 12.

Also, Improvacadia performs an 8pm show that's appropriate for families with children. It was very, very funny and was one of the highlilghts of our trip. Not expensive, either.

• Stayed: August 2007, traveled with family
4  Thank wayfaringmom62
Reviewed August 23, 2007

We enjoyed much of our stay at the Bar Harbor Inn. The views were certainly worth the price of the room, which was pleasant, if not somewhat cramped. The grounds were lovely and well kept. The complimentary continental breakfast buffet itself was definitely above average. And having breakfast on the lawn which bordered the shore was nothing short of spectacular. However there were a few issues we noted during our stay:

Apparently the hotel stores it's folding chairs on the opposite end of the complex from where they are used. This necessitates the transport of said chairs on golf carts which the staff use taking the shortest route possible which is accross the lawn (instead of utilizing the parking area behind the buidings.) Of couse this happens in the morning which resulted in more than one interrupted breakfast. They even asked for our assistance in moving the tables we were forced to leave. In their rush to make the numerous trips required to complete the task, I saw them nearly hit a toddler with the cart on one occaision.

A further disruption of the ambiance was the "shore walk" that ran along the edge of the hotel grounds. While the hotel has a spectacular, literally on the edge of the ocean view, it also has a public path running through it. From sun up to well past sun down there was a constant parade of people going back and forth past the front of the hotel, many of whom had no compunctions about staring up into the hotel windows. If you are looking for a quiet ocean retreat, this is not the place for you.

We were also not pleased to find that the sheets had not been changed once in the 8 days that we were there. Certainly something that I did not expect in a hotel in this price range.

The most disturbing part of our experience was the mysteriously reappearing cup. I used one of the mugs that the hotel suppled with the in-room coffee, as a brush cup while waterpainting. The first day, I used a particular shade of blue paint, and did not use it any of the following days. When leaving the room to be serviced, I placed the cup where it was obvious that I had used it and expected it to be replaced. Finding two "clean" mugs in the coffee area later, I did not think much of it until the next day when I notice the blue that I had used the day before was on the handle. Again I left it out the next day. Same results. And so on for the entire duration of our stay. I know that a savy traveller does not drink out of a cup in a hotel room unless it is in a sealed wrapper. I never imagined I would have the reason why so vividly illustrated to me. I wonder if the next guests found themselves drinking out of a mug with blue paint on the handle. (And by the way, we're talking about watercolor folks, something a half-hearted rinse in tepid water would have removed.)

And don't even get me started on the amount of dust on the furniture in the room.

So, if you love ocean views, people watching (and being watched), don't mind having your breakfast interrupted , and have a healthy immune system, this is the hotel for you. You might just want to make sure that your vaccinations are up to date before you go.

• Stayed: July 2007, traveled with family
3  Thank Nienna
BHI, Innkeeper at Bar Harbor Inn, responded to this reviewResponded August 29, 2007

It is wonderful to hear that this guest found our property to be lovely and well kept. It also seems that they particularly liked our location which is in the center of Bar Harbor, with eight acres of lawns and gardens and 1,000 feet of ocean frontage. In fact, some of our rooms are within 50 feet of the water which affords a fantastic view of the harbor or the Porcupine Islands.

Being a historic inn, and part of the rich heritage of Bar Harbor, we have continued the tradition of allowing the use of the Shore Path which winds by the hotel for scenic strolls along the ocean. The Shore Path was created around 1880 and passes by many inns and “cottages” and it is a wonderful way to experience the charm of “old Bar Harbor”. More information about the shore path can be found by entering a search in Google, “shore path bar harbor”. Very few of our thousands of guests ever comment about allowing this tradition to continue.

It is hard to comment on this guest’s other remarks since they seem so unusual. We do set up chairs for an occasional outdoor wedding on the Main Inn lawn overlooking the harbor. There is a very brief period of time when the chairs need to be transported for the set up but it should not require the moving of any of the chairs or tables used for our outdoor breakfast area. If this occurred it must have been an exceptional circumstance.

Likewise, the comment about the cup seems very odd. It certainly is our procedure to wash all cups that are used each day. Our procedure for replacing linens is every other day for guests that stay two or more days, unless the guest requests the sheets be replaced daily. This is a common practice in the hotel industry to conserve on natural resources. Our housekeeping department is staffed by very experienced people, many who have been with us 20 years and more. Frequently we receive positive comments about the staff like “This was the cleanest room I have stayed in”. We are proud of all our staff at the inn.

It is unfortunate this guest’s stay was marred by these perceived inconsistencies to our usual high standards. Our preference in any situation like this is the guest let us know if they are being inconvenienced in some way so that we can make it right during their stay. Our heartfelt desire is that every guest leaves the inn with a wonderful, memorable experience as many other guests have experienced and commented in other TripAdvisor reviews.

Reviewed August 22, 2007

The female review....We pulled up to the Bar Harbor Inn and were like "oh wow! look at the view". The door is always opened for you as you walk in the lobby. The staff was very pleasant. We stayed on the first floor facing the water. The room was nicely decorated and very clean. The view of the sunrise in the morning was absolutely breathe taking! We were in walking distance to everything which is great. Enjoy your stay! We did!

The male review..." it was wonderful!" ha

• Stayed: June 2007, traveled as a couple