“A dream come true ...”
Review of Bar Harbor Inn

Bar Harbor Inn
Ranked #10 of 41 Hotels in Bar Harbor
Reviewed August 9, 2007

When my husband and I were poor college students at the
University of Maine, we looked at the BHI from afar and wondered
if we would ever be able to afford to stay there. Our dream finally came true this summer. We stayed in a king room with balcony in the Oceanfront Lodge and couldn't have been happier. The room was lovely and the view of Frenchman's Bay from the balcony was spectacular. (I will attach a photo of the sunrise later.) We joined a group of eight for dinner in the main restaurant (I don't recall the name) and all were happy with their meals. I should add that we made the reservation that morning to celebrate a friend's completion of a coast-to-coast bike ride for the Lance Armstrong Foundation, and the dining staff couldn't have been more accomodating. They went out of their way to make the evening special including a window table overlooking the bay.

My only surprise with the BHI was the lobby, a large square room. I expected a grand entrance that would match the exterior and grounds of the BHI. If that's my only "complaint", well, you get the picture.

Stayed: July 2007
2  Thank SebagoSue
Write a ReviewReviews (1,774)

Reviewed August 7, 2007

This hotel and its staff exceded all of my expectations. First off, when my boyfriend and I got there, we noticed when we walked into our room that there was luggage in it. We alerted the front desk, and immediately the asst. manager came over and took it away, making apologies along the way. It was taken care of in a matter of 3 mins. Our room was lovely, very clean, with 1 king bed and a back deck, which we loved. Little did I know, this was the weekend my boyfriend was going to propose. He had already worked it out with the staff of the dining room and events. A gazebo on the hotel's beautiful grounds was set up especially for the two of us, complete with flowers and a very private setting. We had a private waiter, and being a vegetarian, I was able to choose whatever I wanted to eat. It was extremely romantic, and every last thing went wonderfully. And of course I said yes! And he had managed to suprise me by bringing my parents and his parents to Bar Harbor, and they suprised me afterwards. The hotel staff was great in that, too, because they made sure their rooms weren't near ours. I also was able to sample a hot stone massage from their spa, and it was fantastic! The entire experience was very relaxing.
Overall, the Bar Harbor Inn is a wonderful place to stay, you can't beat the location, and the staff made my engagement very special.

• Stayed: August 2007, traveled as a couple
1  Thank katybish
Reviewed August 6, 2007

Better than we expected. Even with two teenagers, the food, accommodations and view were enough to keep them very happy. Within walking distance to all shops and restaurants in town. The service at the Inn was superb. We did not want to end our paradise vacation.

We are already recommending this Inn to all of our friends, and we hope to go back soon by ourselves (without kids!)

Randy & Lynn

Stayed: August 2007
Reviewed August 1, 2007

My husband and I stayed at the Bar Harbor Inn from 7/26-7/29. We were
able to book a package that included 3 full breakfasts and 2 dinners at the Reading Room, a 2 hr cruise, and a gift certificate for the gift shop.

We stayed in a lodge room overlooking the water—absolutely beautiful.
We had a great balcony that included a screen door. As others have mentioned, you can hear the conversations of guests on the adjoining balconies, but you can't see anyone sitting on the adjoining balconies unless you go out of your way to do so.

Our meals were wonderful. I had read previous complaints about the free coffee. My husband is a chain coffee drinker and he said it was good. The coffee and tea were available in the main lodge throughout the day. Also lemonade, cookies and watermelon were available during the late afternoon. The lemonade was delicious.

All personnel were extremely nice. The room was spotless and newly renovated. The bathroom was updated with a new vanity and shower enclosure.

Housekeeping was great--Lucy obviously made it a point to notice our "routine". She was incredibly efficient.

There was plenty of parking at every time of the day. Oddly enough, no one checks to be sure that only guests park in the lot. I guess it
isn’t necessary since there are plenty of parking spaces anyway.

The walk to the village is about 3-4 minutes at the most. It's a 10 minute walk to the grocery store on Cottage St.

The resort has an ideal location—quiet, yet close to everything.

As other people have noted, the shore path does go by the oceanfront rooms. It wasn’t a problem for us; it gave us something to look at.

I can’t imagine anyone not loving this place!

• Stayed: July 2007, traveled as a couple
1  Thank micnadkel
Reviewed July 31, 2007

My wife and I and our 3 children had a wonderful time staying at the Bar Harbor Inn in mid July. This is a 3 star hotel but a 5 star location. We stayed in the Oceanfront Rooms and had an amazing view of Frenchman's Bay from our balcony. Even when it got fogged in the next 2 days, it was still great being able to hear the waves pounding the shore all night long.

Equally important is the hotel's proximity to town. No parking worries, and we could easily walk to restaurants, bike/kayak rental shops, and Island Explorer buses.

The hotel itself is not worth the price, but if location is important to you, this can't be beat in Bar Harbor.

• Stayed: July 2007, traveled with family
2  Thank Domer90mom
Reviewed July 23, 2007

We stayed at the Inn for 5 nights in July, 2007. Due to late planning and late availability, we were able to reserve a King Suite in the original Inn for the 5 of us (3 teenagers). The loft part of the room has a wonderful view from the balcony, and is separated from the downstairs room (pull out sofa and rollaway) only by the staircase and an open wall with a curtain. The balconies aren't very private, but the view is compelling and other visitors enjoying their views were friendly. The shore path does run along the backside of the property along the water, but walkers don't seem like they are imposing on your privacy, rather they are part of the whole scene. The staff was friendly and attentive and the facilities were in very good shape. The Terrace has arguably the best view in town and meals are priced pretty much the same as other local higher-end restaurants. The breakfast is very popular but they kept it well stocked through the whole morning (blueberry muffins, bagels, english muffins, fruit, cold cereal, coffee, juices) and the walk over to the Oceanfront Lodge can't take more than 2 minutes from any room on the property. Do make sure you know where your room is and what the view is, the premium price is certainly not worth it if you can't see Frenchman's Bay in all its glory. Shopping and other restaurants were close by - in ten minutes you can walk from the property to upper Cottage Street or the Town Green to catch the Explorer. We're looking forward to another visit.

• Stayed: July 2007, traveled with family
2  Thank Enjoytheride
Reviewed July 4, 2007

As written in my title, very nice rooms and surroundings. The front desk personnel were alittle stuffy, not giving you a welcome feeling. We stayed in three hotels in Bar Harbor to compare for future stays. This hotel and the Harborside Hotel I would rate about the same, both second to the Bayview Hotel.

• Stayed: June 2007, traveled with family