“Great place to stay on the water”
Review of Bar Harbor Inn

Bar Harbor Inn
Ranked #7 of 41 Hotels in Bar Harbor
Mansfield, Massachusetts
“Great place to stay on the water”
Reviewed June 24, 2014

Excellent Restaurant and hotel to stay at.
Enjoyed the room on the water side.

Everyone was excellent to work with - from the time I showed up ( without a reservation) to departure.

Highly recommended

Room Tip: Room with a water view in the Main Building
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (511)
Milford, Michigan
Reviewed June 23, 2014 via mobile

We stayed four nights in the main hotel with a bay view king room. They were recently remodeled so this was a nice perk! It was wonderful to wake up and go to bed with this view. I would stay here again! Great staff and location. Did not do the breakfast because there were so many other great restaurants around to try. Loved this place!

Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank mtimes3
central NH
Reviewed June 21, 2014

Amazing ocean-side part based on the pictures (be sure to walk along the ocean on the public path that goes for about a mile and which you can access right from the grounds), but look into where your room is in the hotel. They obviously added on some time ago (maybe 30 years) and put the new parts on the interior of the property-no water views and nice, but nothing like the photos. I didn't even get to be in the main building and feel like a guest when I checked in--they had a check-in station near the door and I got the sense that I didn't belong. My room was in a motel-type building and you drive right up to your room--which is not part of the classy New England resort hotel experience. Very 3-star. I would have given an extra star for the private balcony perhaps, but the dividers between the balconies are slanted so that you have to be seated right against the exterior wall in order to have any privacy because anyone standing on the balconies right next you can see you, be close enough to shake hands, etc., which basically makes it awkward not to engage them politely, even though that's not something I want to do on the balcony of my hotel room. Breakfast was very good and in an ocean-facing part of the complex--had a great variety but without substantial foods like eggs and meats. I enjoyed the pool and hot tub (usually hotel hot tubs gross me out), but the memory is tainted by that fact that I left my suit hanging on the back of the bathroom door when I checked out and I never got it back. I called only about an hour later, could not get a person on the phone, and left a message on the housekeeping line offering to pay to have the suit mailed to me. They didn't even bother to return my call. Poor service on top of a "nice, but not great" room. So this hotel has a 3ish star interior and what is probably a 5-star oceanside part. I did not feel like a valued customer, much less a guest. For my money, I much prefer the Harborside about two blocks away--I've stayed there three times and always been impressed, but then again, there are probably no-view rooms there too that are probably not as nice as the waterside ones. Still, I love that place, but that's for another review.

Room Tip: Go ocean side or expect just an upgraded motel experience
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
4 Thank 333MJK_69
Dallas, Texas
Reviewed June 19, 2014

Beautiful hotel with incredible history, beauty and exceptional service. I stayed in a room on the second floor with a view of the harbor and pool as the rest of the rooms were already booked in the main inn. Next time I will book earlier so I can be on the waterfront.

The rooms are perfect and the housekeeping is excellent.

It is the best location and has the finest restaurant named the Reading Room as well as a casual place outside to watch all of the boats and schooners.

The never took advantage of the coupons as I do not like continental breakfast so I dined in the Reading Room for most of my meals.

I did suggest they put out a canister of hot water along with the coffee they serve as many guests prefer tea. Otherwise you are struggling with trying to get the hot water out of a drinking fountain type unit.

They hire the best, most professional and happy people I have ever met. They welcome you with open arms and are happy to help you with anything you need.

I stayed there for 4 nights so I could visit Acadia National Park. The weather was perfect and even if it rained a bit it was still so beautiful.

Room Tip: I would stay in the main inn on the second floor it is worth it.
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled solo
Savannah, Georgia
Reviewed June 17, 2014

We stayed here for only one night having missed our cruise ship in NYC. Oceania kindly made arrangements for 37 of us to get to Bar Harbor where the ship was coming in to port on the third day. We were on our own for hotels however. I searched for some place to stay and selected the Bar Harbor Inn. What a delightful surprise. When the taxi pulled up to the front, we were delighted. The staff was incredibly helpful. Our room, in the older part of the building was charming and spotlessly clean. We had a great time exploring the grounds and the little town of Bar Harbor. Good Things do come out of bad ones.

Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed June 15, 2014

Topnotch resort. We stayed in the oceanfront lodge....as advertised....our room overlooked the ocean and nearby islands. Watched harbor activity of lobster boats, cruise ships and marine birds and stars at night from our private generous sized balcony. We chose an upper unit but could have stayed in first floor unit also as there were unobstructed views from both levels. Our room had a very large easy chair, table and 2 chairs. There was a walking path from harbor onward which meandered in front of the lodge lawn. "Continental breakfast" served in the lodge building really does not describe the luxurious spread.....bowls of fresh yogurt, blueberry among them, abundance of a variety of fruit, granola, several short breads and muffins, plus bagels, breads, etc. and the best coffee we have ever had, bar none. Dining area also looked out on the harbor islands. Staff was gracious and helpful. We felt pampered!
The Inn itself was in a great location as it was within short walking distance to the downtown harbor, multitude of quality gift shops, restaurants and local tours/boat trip departure points, yet spacious enough land area that we were able to escape to quiet privacy at the lodge. We were able to park and walk most of the stay. BTW we experienced a few showers and complimentary umbrellas were provided, of course! Staying at this hotel definitely enhanced our Bar Harbor experience. We would surely book here on another visit to the area.

Room Tip: Oceanfront lodge with private balcony was perfect. Rooms in other buildings did not seem to have as...
2 Thank Eileen M
Massachusetts
Reviewed June 12, 2014

We recently stayed here for a quick three night getaway. The location is perfect, within walking distance to the town and the view from the inn is beautiful. We had one of the rooms that just overlooked the property not an ocean view, those rooms looked amazing. The room was clean and comfortable. My only complaint was some sort of noisy motor went on and off all night, it wasn't in our room seemed to be coming from next door. It only lasted one night but was a bit annoying. The grounds are very pretty and there is a nice ocean walk path right out front. We tried the free continental breakfast, it wasn't anything special, juice, coffee, beagles, cereals, yogurt, enough to keep you satisfied but since my husband and I both like a nice hot breakfast we decided to try some of the local restaurants the other two days..the hard boiled eggs were a bit funky tasting, can't recommend those. Overall we enjoyed our stay and we even used our coupons for dinner in the beautiful Reading Room Restaurant and had a wonderful meal at a reduced price.

1 Thank Emileesgram
BHI-GM, General Manager at Bar Harbor Inn, responded to this review, June 14, 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for choosing to be our guest during your recent stay in Bar Harbor. I am very pleased to read that you enjoyed our location, view and that your room was clean and comfortable. I apologize about the noise you experienced during your stay. It is great to hear that you had a wonderful meal at our restaurant. We look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Fred Link