“Beautiful hotel; best views in town”
Review of Bar Harbor Inn

Bar Harbor Inn
Ranked #6 of 42 Hotels in Bar Harbor
Reviewed January 24, 2014

I am admittedly biased as my husband and I got married here in August 2012. The whole wedding planning process was a delight, as was working with Nicole and Melissa. The Reading Room restaurant was the perfect size for our 85 person wedding, the food was very good (and we got a lot of compliments), and their cake baker built us a delicious and absolutely gorgeous wedding cake. The vendors they recommended for other things were also generally good. Even though it ended up being foggy for our outdoor ceremony and then pouring rain for the indoor reception, we loved our wedding. The views from the lawn are spectacular in the sunshine but even in the clouds we were able to see some of the nearby islands and it was still quite nice. The only bad experience we had with the wedding was with the spa and it was terrible - they insisted on doing my hair after all my bridesmaids even though we repeatedly asked them to do otherwise, which resulted in them rushing through my hairdo (it fell down partway through the reception) and me having to rush through hair and makeup. Most of my bridesmaids were also unhappy with their hairstyles. They also charged me (without telling me) for my mother-in-law's hair (I never mentioned her to them and she didn't come in with me and the bridesmaids - so not sure why they thought they had the right to charge me for something I did not request)....and the kicker is -- she had already paid for it herself! So we were charged twice (it was corrected after some aggravation). I highly, highly recommend the Inn as a wedding location, but avoid the Spa at all costs.

We have also stayed here, on our wedding night and on a separate occasion in October 2013. The rooms in the Main Inn and the Oceanfront Lodge are very expensive, more than $350 in summer and well more than $200 even very late in the season (mid-October). For that price, I can understand why some might be disappointed by the rooms themselves (they are comfortable and clean but not nearly as fancy as you typically get at that price point). However, you are paying for the view and the balcony/patio, which are phenomenal. They also include a lot in the rate - free continental breakfast, free wifi and free cookies, tea and juice in the lobby in the afternoon.

Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank ahm5885
Write a ReviewReviews (1,777)

Reviewed January 24, 2014

My Husband and I have been staying at the Bar harbor Inn for 15 years now. We love this Inn. The staff is very friendly and accommodating. If you have an issue they are at your door in minutes. It is very clean and has amazing views of Frenchman's Bay. The terrace grill has great food and cocktails and the view from your table you can't beat it. Yes the prices are a little high at the inn, but its all worth it. You can't go wrong staying here.

Room Tip: staying in the main inn has the best rooms
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
Reviewed January 24, 2014

Stayed here with my boyfriend for the weekend - It was absolutely wonderful - We walked out of our back door and were greeted by the chilly fresh ocean - We walked to get our breakfast lunch and dinner (the in hotel resteraunt was pretty pricey, but whatever) - There are so many great shops, restauruants to eat and drink at - We drove to Acadia every day (which is only 10 minutes away) It was a wonderful trip - The rooms were extremely clean and the fire place in the common area is where we spent our last few minutes before bed. I LOVE it here!!!

Room Tip: Get a room with a door to a small patio - You can walk right to the ocean.
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 23, 2014

We have spent many of our Thanksgivings here and look forward to it every year. The location on the water is breathtaking. Short walk to the main part of town, restaurants. Situated on the waterfront walking path. Staff is very attentive. A quintessential Maine experience.

Room Tip: We prefer the waterfront rooms in the main, original building. Room #120 is our favorite: large, qu...
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
Reviewed December 13, 2013

After a long drive through a very rural area we arrived in Bar Harbor and the Bar Harbor Inn was a sight for sore eyes. Bar Harbor is just about the nicest little town we've been to, and everything on the hotel property was impeccable, and the staff couldn't have been more pleasant and helpful. The included breakfast was impressive - fresh fruit & baked goods as far as the eye can see....my only complaint - we were only there for one night!

Room Tip: Can't go wrong with an ocean view room
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed December 9, 2013 via mobile

I was in bar harbor and found the inn still open after the regular tourism season. What a delightful and beautiful location.
Attentive staff who were eager to make sure my stay when well.
Rooms were remodeled within the past few years and quiet as well as being quite pleasant.
I can not comment on their spa or on-site restaurants as they had closed for the season just before my stay.
I plan on staying here next year when in area.

• Stayed: December 2013
1  Thank Ajbrx
Reviewed December 7, 2013

We visited Bar Harbor Inn in late August. It was charming and quite comfortable. The package we purchased included a lobster dinner which was served outside, a dinner in their diningroom, breakfast and a cruise.

We were not in the main building, but the room was nice with a lovely view of the harbor. The staff was helpful and polite. And the food was delcious.

It was an enjoyable stay.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple