“Love, Love, Love”

Ranked #7 of 41 Hotels in Bar Harbor
Hunlock Creek, Pennsylvania
“Love, Love, Love”
Reviewed September 14, 2013

Will come here every year. We stay in OCEAN FRONT LODGE.. Worth every penny. Service is excellent .People are friendly. Close to every thing ,no problems with parking, 2 blocks from town.
The restaurant is good and the location is to die for.

Room Tip: Ocean front lodge is a great view.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Rustie_11

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (521)
Mesa, Arizona
Reviewed September 14, 2013

We haven't stayed in the Inn, but several times over the last four years we have enjoyed ourselves at the Terrace and on the balcony outside of the lounge, on the second floor.

The menu is perfect for lunch, afternoon appetizers and a refreshing beverage. The yellow umbrellas are iconic, the views and people watching entertaining, and the service has always been excellent. Time after time, staff are friendly, professional and attentive.

We recently entertained two German scientists and their wives on the balcony outside of the lounge, and they were completely delighted with the view. We enjoyed cocktails, a couple of lovely bottles of wine, and appetizers. Our bartender/server was exceptional, and as we watched the evening set in, we couldn't have imagined a better ending to our day on M.D.I.

Of note, the greeters at the Terrace are the first people one encounters at the entrance, and they have been gracious, welcoming and accommodating. I love this place!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
Brunswick, Maine
Reviewed September 11, 2013

We had a corner room with a private balcony waterside view, room 432, highly recommended. The room was entirely excellent, with good WIFI, but little glitches were: no mini bar, no wine awaiting us, no dock for iPod/Phone, just a CD player clock radio. Anyone carry CDs these days? A previous renter had bent the deadbolt, but it was immediately repaired. The bathroom grout was clean but could use a little refreshing. Some outside lights are left on all night, presumably a good idea for security, but not particularly conducive to pitch black sleeping.

The positives were: a new LG TV. It has audio inputs on the back if you have your own cable. The WIFI was fast for a hotel. The place is overall terrific, a masterpiece of what an independent hotel can do. The doormen were just superb. As soon as you enter the lobby, you know that you are in a completely high end place.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 10, 2013 via mobile

Spectacular ocean views, fabulous food, exceptionally friendly staff and wonderful accommodations have lured my wife and I back to this magical place for over 20 years. We just returned from a trip (Sept-2013) where we purchased the 4-Night Autumn Escape package and found it to be an exceptional value. Of special note, all meals served at the hotel's 'Reading Room' Restaurant, while overlooking stunning harbor views, were heavenly delicious and served by an outstanding staff. Our trip to the Bar Harbor Inn was an absolute delight and could not be matched by any other property on the Island.

Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
BHI-GM, General Manager at Bar Harbor Inn, responded to this review, September 11, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for being our loyal guest and we appreciate your very kind Tripadvisor review of the Bar Harbor Inn & Spa. It is our pleasure having you as our guest each year (for over 20 years) and we always enjoy welcoming you back.

Thank you for your feedback on our ocean views, fabulous food, exceptionally friendly staff and wonderful accommodations. I am very pleased that you enjoyed your 4 Night Autumn Escape package during your stay with us. We look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Estill Springs, Tennessee
Reviewed September 10, 2013

The Bar Harbor Inn Resort and Spa is in the perfect location if you are visiting Bar Harbor. Loved walking on the path by the water and into downtown... and, of course, the lobster is great. The hotel itself is very tired. Our room looked like a holdover from 1980 and was about like a mom & pop roadside motel. For the price, I expected a comfortable chair or sofa. And, I didn't expect worn formica countertops in the bathroom. And, for the most part, the staff is average at best. Rarely did I get a greeting. And, as I write this review while enjoying a cup of coffee in the lobby at 7:30 AM, they are vacuuming the carpet... wouldn't one expect that to be done during a less busy time of day? Again, the Inn is in the perfect location and they don't have to work hard to get customers. I won't be back.

Room Tip: Go to another hotel
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank DeepInTheWoodsMike
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review of our Inn during your recent stay with us. I appreciate your wonderful comments on our perfect location and great views. It was our pleasure having you as our guest.

I apologize that you felt that our hotel is tired. I appreciate your feedback on the items you mentioned regarding your room. Each year we select rooms to renovate during the off season. Last winter we renovated 29 rooms and 49 bathrooms of our 153 rooms on the property. The year before that we renovated 29 rooms as well. We are continuing to renovate and update our rooms moving forward. This past winter we replaced the entire exterior of our Main Building facing the grounds. We are very pleased with this project.

It is very disheartening to hear that you thought our staff is average at best and rarely did you receive a greeting during your stay. Thank you for mentioning this and I take full responsibility for that. This is not something that you would expect while staying at our Inn. I apologize about the timing of our vacuuming of the lobby at 7:30 am.

Thank you for mentioning our perfect location again at the end of your review. Our staff works very hard to provide Memorable Guest Service for all of our guests and I apologize that we failed you. I hope you give us another chance in the future.

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed September 8, 2013

The location of this hotel is amazing - incredible views of the water but right in town within walking distance of all the shops and restaurants. You cannot get a better spot.

Unfortunately good service and a good location are only two components to a nice stay. The rooms are horribly in need of updating and remind me of beach motels you might have stayed in during a high school senior week or college spring break. The bedding and curtains were a faded tattered floral pattern that must have been decades old. The phone, alarm clock, fridge and hair dryer probably date back to the 80s. The carpeting must have been original. There was nothing about the room that gave me a nice upscale or beach resort feel. It is the complete opposite from the picturesque views of the hotel exterior you find on the internet.

Also, everything about the hotel from the menu at the restaurants to the décor of the lobby to the landscaping felt old-fashioned and dated- NOT historic, quaint or classic - just old. There was a list of DVDs that you could pay the hotel to "rent". What hotel takes guests money to "rent" DVDs in 2013? That just seems tacky. The pool had this motel feel and it closed at dusk. I expected more. In their defense, my husband and I are in our mid-30s which appeared to be about 25 years younger than the hotel's target audience. The majority of the clientele appeared to be retirees.

Also, there are some odd processes in place. I was told upon check-in that the second key was not available but would be delivered to my room. It never was but luckily my husband and I did not really need it. In addition, you have to call housekeeping if you want them to change your sheets everyday - otherwise they do not do so and they do not have a card you can simply place on bed. The card is to indicate you don't want your sheets changed AT ALL during your stay. I have never seen that and it was really inconvenient.

Again, the photos of this stunning white beachside resort against the water looks inviting but if you care about the age and condition of your room then you would be better off spending your money on another hotel.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank HappyNewlywed08
Dear Guest,

Thank you for being our guest and I appreciate your positive comments regarding our excellent location, incredible views of the water and our good service. I apologize about all the items you mentioned in your review. I have discussed your items with our department managers and we plan on addressing them.

We continue to upgrade and do renovations with our rooms and the entire property. Thank you for your input and I hope you will give us another chance in the future.

Overland Park, KS
Reviewed September 8, 2013

My wife and I just stayed 4 nights here, in the Newport Building (no ocean view). The room was well appointed, with a small balcony and refrigerator. Overall, the grounds and main building were beautiful, and the staff polite and accommodating. We ate one dinner in the Reading Room which was excellent with good service. The continental breakfast was superb, with loads of fresh fruit. Yes, the Inn is somewhat dated and yes, the rooms (especially those with ocean view) are expensive, but the location is unbeatable in Bar Harbor. The walk to town is about a block, with all its busy pedestrian and car traffic, but the Inn is comfortably situated along the oceanfront at the end of town. We would have no hesitancy returning here.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Bruce L
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to give us a review and for being our guest. I am very happy to hear that you had a Memorable Stay and found your room well appointed, our grounds and main building beautiful, our staff was polite, continental breakfast was superb and you had an excellent dinner in our restaurant.

It was our pleasure having you as our guest and we look forward to welcoming you back in the future.