“Just average”
Review of Acadia Inn

Acadia Inn
Ranked #14 of 41 Hotels in Bar Harbor
Reviewed August 8, 2012

This was my family's first time staying at Acada Inn and in Bar Harbor. One thing I would like to point out is that they do a very good job at keeping the rooms clean. The free continental breakfast was fantastic. I liked the bathroom a lot and the staff at the front desk was very friendly and always helpfull.

Now to the things about Acadia Inn that earned the "average" rating...
First of all, our air conditioner did not work properly. It would turn on and off at random times and it was abnormally loud. Luckly, after the first night, we called the front desk and they fixed the problem so for the rest of out stay the AC worked. Also, we could hear every move the people above us made. The ceiling seems paper thin. So, during the night we like to open the windows and turn off the AC because we can get some fresh air inside. On our last night, we noticed that our room had a lot of mosquitos in it. We were about to close the window when we realized that one of our windows had the screen cut out. The frame for the screen was there but the whole screen was gone and looked like someone just cut it out!

Just a few more things...
we found out that the maids come pretty late in the day (around noon) which bothered my wife for the first day. If you choose Acadia Inn, I would make sure to bring an air freshener too because our room didn't smell great. Oh and our toilet barely flushed. We called the front desk for someone to come up to our room to fix it, but it didn't work so we had to flush it a few times before it actually went down.

And that was our trip for the most part. Maybe I just had a bad room. I don't think I would go here again, but I'd like to point out that it's really not a bad hotel, they just need to make some improvements.

Room Tip: I would get a room on the third floor so you don't have any noise from above.
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Ryan F

Reviewed August 8, 2012

My daughter recently treated me to a weekend at the lovely Acadia Inn for my birthday. I was very impressed with the comfort and cleanliness of our room as well as the public areas. The shuttle service was very convenient and relieved the stress of dealing with the in-town traffic. What made our stay most enjoyable was the staff at the front desk --very efficient, friendly, and a great source of info about all the area activities and restaurants. They even managed to find a few birthday candles to put in the fresh warm cookies they make in the lobby ! A great place to stay in bar Harbor!

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed August 8, 2012

Friday Aug 3rd my wife and I as well as my sister and brother in law stayed here. we phoned ahead to make reservations, at which time we asked if the televisions had clear pictures to watch the Olympics we were told yes no problem but when we arrived at our room the TV had horrible reception so I phoned the front desk and complained they sent a girl to our room and she handed me another set of room keys for the room next door and told me "here go check this room" so I did and the TV was the same. Then the next morning when we woke up and decided to have our morning showers there was no hot water.Upon check out I complained and I was told " oh we are enviromentally friendly here and there is no hot water very early in the morning... what a bunch of crap. the room cost me $197.00 for one night I would expect this kind of service from a $50.00 a night room not $200.00 a night. and when I wanted some sort of discount I was told the manager was not in and told to call back later thet day. but surprise still no manager and since then I have called on two different days and still have no talked to anyone.Stay away from the Acadia Inn because all they want is your money

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
3  Thank ralph2761
acadia98, General Manager at Acadia Inn, responded to this reviewResponded August 13, 2012

First I would like to say I am extremely sorry that you have been unable to reach me. I was extremely surprised when reading this review at your attempts to contact a member of management, as I have not received any messages from you and I am at the hotel every day 7am to 5pm, except Saturday. During my time away from the hotel I frequently check my voicemail, as this is a 7 day a week business. During the day and evening shifts there is always a manager on duty, anytime during the day when I am not personally available our Front Office Manager usually is. I have since tried to contact you as well both via phone and email have not received a call back from you?

Our Night Supervisor, left information about your Television issues and mentioned that she herself, went upstairs and personally prepared and showed you the new room, unlocking the door, turning on the lights and AC as well as testing the TV channels with you, to make sure you were satisfied with the new room before heading back downstairs. She noted that you were pleased with the new room and the television; she also mentioned that upon check-in there was some confusion as to who was paying for your room and was concerned that this issue set the two of you off on the wrong foot. On the morning of your departure, our Front Desk staff noted that you had mentioned, upon departing the hotel, that you did not have hot water in your room. She was taken by surprise because it was the first anyone had mentioned this to her. I can assure you that we have plenty of hot water 24 hours per day and it is not turned off at any time when the hotel is open. The Front Desk checked with Maintenance and they found the boilers to be operating properly and up to temperature. They performed temperature checks in vacant rooms and found a good supply of hot water. We also had no other hot water issues that day or surrounding the time you were at the hotel. In fact just this spring we replaced two of our hot water tanks as a pre-cautionary measure due to the age of the tanks.

I have stopped trying to reach you as I feel if you wanted to speak with me, I would have heard from you by now. I am sorry that you were not satisfied with your stay and I am truly sorry for whatever miscommunication has happened with you trying to contact me. I welcome hearing from you if you would like to discuss what happened further.

Reviewed August 7, 2012

I stayed at the Acadia Inn more than once, it has become a favorite. They haved added outdoor movies this year on Tuesday and Thursdays!! What a great idea. I noticed they renovated the bathrooms which adds to the overall look and feel of the property. And I was sooooo glad to hear it is a smoke free enviroment, keeping up with the times. The pool is always well kept, and the grounds are very inviting. You can easily see how much the staff takes pride in where they work. The staff-what can I say-always there to answer any questions, go the extra mile to make sure each and every guest is well taken care of. They are professional, curtious, and make everyone feel right at home. If your going to Bar Harbor, this would be my recommendation of a place to stay. Enjoy, I always do!!

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank cimackinnon
Reviewed July 31, 2012

We showed up late (we informed them we would be late at time of reservation) we had to wait around about 15 or 20 mins because there was no one at the desk. When the lady heather [--] finally came out from the back room she looked like she had been asleep on the job. She was immediately rude to the point that I asked her if it was too late to refund our money which it was. She then proceeded to tell us we were loud and belligerant which caught us all off guard because it certainly wasnt the case.. Once this happened my husband and 2friends went outside just so they couldnt be accused of anything else and I sat on the couch by the lobby desk and had to ask her THREE times to please, please just do not talk to me and just figure out my room key so we could be done with it.. It was almost like she was trying to fight with me because it was late, we had obviously woke her up , and there were no other employees around to witness this. I take pride in my work and im extremely embarrassed for her and acadia inn.. I normally would not complain but after spending almost $400 on two rooms to give my husband a happy birthday and end out being treated worse then ive ever seen any employee ever treat anyone I feel I should write this so others dont make the same mistake I did. I should also mention the stair ways smelt like hot puke and are room had a few strange aromas too. We are locals and I highlllllly suggest oceanside inn thats were we usually stay and they are super friendly, great rooms, and awesome views!!!! Save your money almost any where is better then acadia inn!!

• Stayed: July 2012
4  Thank Travelincheetah
acadia98, General Manager at Acadia Inn, responded to this reviewResponded August 1, 2012

It deeply saddens me that you felt our front desk staff was terrible and rude. It is also very uncharacteristic of our Front Desk staff. Many reviews on Trip Advisor have noted that our staff is very friendly and knowledgeable. It is always our goal to be as friendly and accommodating to all our guests as we can.

I am very surprised that given your unpleasant experience that you did not mention anything to management or other staff upon check-out. Management first heard from you via a phone call 2 days later when you threatened to post a negative review on Trip Advisor if we did not give you a full refund of your room. The altercation which occurred between your party and the evening staff member as well as our night security personal, upon your check-in at 2:30am was logged as two couples who entered the hotel being loud and under the influence of alcohol. The staff members noted that derogatory comments were made towards the staff and you were asked to please quiet down as there are guest rooms close to the lobby and we were at full occupancy.

The staff person you spoke with as well as our security person that was called to assist were primarily concerned with maintaining a quiet environment for the rest of the guests in the hotel. It is unfortunate that you interpreted this as being rude. The security person you also spoke with noted that all the parties did remain inside the lobby. Neither our front desk staff member nor our security person noted that you had requested not to stay. Given the situation this would request would have likely been granted without question.

Reviewed July 30, 2012

Yep...thats what the girl at the counter told us...we were tired so we took it anyway...breakfast was solid and they let me park the bike under the overhang which was nice...room nothing special...seems the owners think this place is a bit nicer than it really is...overall OVERPRICED for what u get

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank hiplain1
Reviewed July 28, 2012

We stayed at the Acadia Inn this weekend following a family reunion in nearby Trenton. Our other choice for accommodation, the Bar Harbor Grand, was not available for the night we requested so the website send us to this, another of their properties. These hotels are all owned by one family, including the beautiful Bar Harbor Inn, also a favorite! The Acadia Inn is a nice spot for a short stay, near but not really walking distance(especially if you like to shop and anticipate carrying back to the room) to downtown Bar Harbor. All these properties are well maintained, very clean and with great customer service. Has an outdoor heated pool. hot-tub and playground for the kids.The complimentary breakfast includes a variety of choices including cereal, waffles, fruit, yogurt and eggs and, really good coffee. Other features include being close to the park and lots of great restaurants intown (that's another review to follow)

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family