“Great experience!”
Review of Acadia Hotel

Acadia Hotel
Ranked #8 of 41 Hotels in Bar Harbor
Reviewed June 20, 2007

My husband and I stayed three nights in mid-June at the Acadia Hotel. We booked the "king" suite, which boasted a small refrigerator and whirlpool tub. This was our first visit to Bar Harbor and we could not have found a better location. Everything was within maybe a quarter or a half-mile from the door. The town green is almost directly opposite, and as other reviewers have mentioned, there's a natural-foods store (drinks, snacks, coffees) and Cafe This Way (AMAZING breakfasts!) right next door. The room was not overly large and didn't have the most sophisticated decor, but the price and location were so wonderful that we felt we made a lucky choice. It was clean and comfortable, and the bathroom in particular looked recently remodeled and very nice. We were in room 5, which was off the side porch. The only suggestion I could make would be to leave a small electric fan in the room -- we ran the a/c on 'vent' because we like a breeze at night, and to drown out the audible traffic noise. (To be fair, we didn't think to ask for a fan; perhaps one could have been provided.) And there was no phone in the room, so bring your cell and charger. Bar Harbor in June was wonderful, uncrowded with great weather, and we're glad we chose this hotel! We would definitely come back.

• Stayed: June 2007, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank historybee

Reviewed June 2, 2007

Stayed at the Acadia Hotel for two nights. Off season rates were very reasonable.

PRO: Unless you prefer accomodations with a water view, you won't find a better location. Situated catty-cornered from the town green, it's right smack in the middle of downtown Bar Harbor. I's easy walking distance to everything--restaurants, shopping, the free buses. Next door is a natural food market that stays open til 10 p.m. where you can get coffee, drinks, yummy baked goods. Another door down is Cafe This Way.

The central location makes it a great place to stay if you are traveling wtih a group whose members have differing stamina. Folks can come and go (on foot or using the free buses) at their own pace without the need for a car.

CONs: The great location comes at a price: noise. I had never realized how much traffic there is on Mt. Desert Street until I stayed in a room that faced the street. The traffic didn't wake me up, but once I was awake, there was no falling back to sleep. I didn't want to run the air conditioner simply to drown out the traffic noise, but it was apparent even throught the closed windows.

While I might go back to the Acadia House or another inn on Mt Desert Street because I enjoyed the location, I wouldn't do so unless I could be assured a room that did NOT face the street. Of all the Mt. Desert Street inns, this one is probably the closest to the road, sitting back only about two car lengths.

The flowered wallpaper is over the top. The photos on the website are an accurate depiction of what we had in our rooms. I'm not against all flowered wallpapers--I have seen flowers done well (more subdued colors, smaller patterns.)

Not all baths have tubs, something that is on the web site but I didn't catch when making reservations. I'm one of those gals who loves her bath, so when I checked in and discovered I had only a shower I asked for a change, but a tub room wasn't available for my entire stay.

• Stayed: June 2007, traveled with family
3  Thank MicheleS
Reviewed October 29, 2006

My husband & I stayed here for several nights from Oct. 23rd through the 26th. The previous review covered a lot of ground & I concur, so I'll just offer some additional thoughts. I really enjoyed the decor, a colonial style home with a lot of charm & class. We were in Room 5, & the great thing about this room is that you have direct outside access (inside, you have to climb stairs to get to your room.) Our room lead out onto the porch at street level. We weren't happy with the bed, it was much too firm for our liking. The tv was so small you have to wonder why they bothered. Think of it as a large radio. One of my pet peeves in hotels, inns, B&Bs, is always a lack of trash receptacles. I have allergies & need a place for my moist tissues. Since there was nary a wastebasket in our bedroom, that meant either getting up & going to the bathroom everytime I wanted to discard something (with my allergies, I would get lots of exercise!) or creating a trash heap by the bedside. I did just that one day, hoping that the cleaning people might get the hint & offer up something, but that idea fell flat. Anyway, it was a cozy room, & incredibly convenient to everything that Bar Harbor has to offer. (Tip: leave your car parked in front & walk everywhere. You really don't have to drive anywhere in BH, it's small.) The town was locking up its doors & flying south for the winter during our stay. So if you go during the winter, know that Tapleys (on Rte3)is the only place you can get breakfast, or so we were told.

4  Thank anglepoise
Reviewed October 19, 2006

This hotel is right in downtown Bar Harbor, so it is incredibly convenient to the restaurants, shops, and waterfront. If you've never been to Bar Harbor, Acadia Nat'l Park is very, very close.

Our room, #7, had a very comfortable king bed and a small TV. The rate was $90. The bathroom was clean, with adequate water pressure. The room was very small. The heating/AC unit worked well and very quickly, i.e. if you changed the temp you'd feel it in minutes.

The descriptions of this hotel as a "B & B without the breakfast" are accurate. This is more of an inn than a hotel. You check in in a small foyer, and then you're off to your room. It is like walking into a large home. There is no lobby, pool, lounge, mini-bar, or room service. We didn't expect or want any of that, but I'm mentioning it to clarify what the place is like.

This is a clean, quiet place to sleep, shower, and keep your belongings while exploring Bar Harbor. It's not a hangout.

We enjoyed our stay at this inn. The comfortable bed left us well-rested after a night out in Bar Harbor. Checking in and out was also very simple.

Tips:
Right next door is a natural grocery store with excellent coffee, plus it's a place to buy bottled water, etc. for the room.

The Thirsty Whale is a favorite among locals. The waitstaff are friendly and they do a great job. The drinks are priced reasonably, and the food is pretty good (for bar food). You won't pay annoying tourist trap prices there.

Reviewed October 18, 2006

Firstly, coming from the UK, the Acadia is not what we call an hotel, being small and with very limited facilities it is a guest house to us. This proved a bit of a problem since we like the atmosphere of hotels. First thing you do on check in is pay the bill for your whole stay, a bit disconcerting but at least it allows you to leave when you wish. You get a good sized room with A/C and a narrow but adequate bathroom. Everything worked but the room refrigerator was plonked beside the bed and needed switched off during the night so that we could sleep. Decor is not to everyone’s taste, Laura Ashley top to bottom. Bedding was a bit worn here and there with obvious fading. Location is great and there is parking out front. No meals but restaurants are nearby. For the money it cannot be beaten but if you want something bigger with a sea view go up market.

2  Thank Brude
Reviewed July 20, 2006

This hotel is just perfect for us.

It is quiet, no pools, arcades, or big screen TV's blasting. Since it is somebody's home, it is VERY quiet.

The best way to describe it would be like a fine B&B, minus the breakfast. A good thing, because while I like the personal service offered by most B&B's, I am tired of having to listen to some retired bankers talk about where they have been traveling while I try to eat my breakfast.

The rooms are about the cleanest you will find in a hotel. Everything is cleaned and restocked daily.

The location is perfect. It is in the middle of town, walking distance to everything, yet still very quiet. Bar Harbor is not like Las Vegas.

If you want to visit Acadia National Park, there is a free bus that runs all day located about 100 feet from the front door. Much easier than taking your car and having to find parking.

The town pier is walking distance. That is where the whale watching and sight seeing trips depart.

The Acadia Hotel is very clean, quiet, and within walking distance to all.

• Stayed: July 2006, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
10  Thank Paul_from_NYC
Reviewed June 19, 2006

We spent our first stay in Bar Harbor at the Acadia Hotel in mid-June 2006. We paid $80 per night plus tax for a queen-sized room with kitchenette (Room 11). Our room was a decent size and also contained a single bed, which would be useful if travelling with a child. There was a small TV with cable, as well as free wireless internet - a nice touch. The kitchenette contained a microwave, fridge and sink, but no toaster or coffee maker. Still, it meant we could have breakfast in our room (the hotel does not offer a breakfast service). The room's decor was a bit flowery, but no more so than your average American B&B, for example, and the bathroom was fine. The ceiling was also just 6' 6" high, but we had been warned about that. The housekeeping service was thorough, and the room was well stocked and cleaned.

The Acadia's location is great - just off the village green, next door to the Abbe Museum on one side and the Alternative, a natural foods grocery store and cafe which was open from 8 am to 10 pm during our stay and was extremely convenient. Cafe This Way, which does great, affordable breakfasts and dinners is also just two doors down, and Bar Harbor's dozens of other eateries are all within walking distance. The sea front is about five minutes' walk away. The hotel offers free off-street parking, so you never have to contend with Bar Harbor's street parking issues. All in all, we were very happy with our stay at the Acadia and thought it provided very good value for money and an excellent location. You can certainly pay a lot more and get less for your money in Bar Harbor. One caveat - book early! This place is deservedly popular.

Stayed: June 2006