“Farm to Table Gem!”
Review of Sweet Pea's Cafe

Sweet Pea's Cafe
Reserve with OpenTable
Sweet Pea's Cafe is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #39 of 148 Restaurants in Bar Harbor
Cuisines: American, Healthy
Dining options: Breakfast
Description: We are a farm to table, slow food, establishment. What we do not grow on premise we source locally. We raise our own oysters and mussels are raised by our good friends one mile from the farm. Our meats are hormone/antibiotic free and humanely raised in East Corinth Maine. Wine is produced and coffee is roasted here as well.
Bar Harbor, Maine
“Farm to Table Gem!”
Reviewed August 29, 2014

I will honestly have a hard time spending my money anywhere else in BH the next time we visit! I can't help but get behind someone who respects their community and knows where their product comes from! Sure, they have some service/inventory kinks to work out... but the food is PHENOMENAL!!! Everything I've ever had on the ever evolving menu is delish! I could eat the smoked salmon pizza, daily. If you want a fast food meal - find a churn and burn spot - there are many to choose from. This is a place to chill out with a drink, kick back and enjoy the scenery and company. Take a deep breath, enjoy the little things, the simplicity of the food, the quality of the product... talk to the staff... you're in MAINE. The way life should be. Enjoy it. :)

• Visited June 2014

Hartford, Connecticut
“Great stop on your way to Bar Harbor”
Reviewed August 23, 2014

We stopped here for a wine tasting, not realizing that this great farm-to-table cafe was located on the premises. We sat down at the bar for some coffee and dessert and were pleasantly surprised by the comfortable feel of the place as well as the food. I had a lavender and honey panna cotta that was perfect and the blueberry seasonal pie was amazing as well. Definitely worth stopping for!

1 Thank kirswood
Chicago
“A farm that owns the table”
Reviewed August 21, 2014

You don't get more farm-to-table than this. Sweet Pea's Cafe is located on a farm that produces vegetables--and lilies! They also have an assortment of farm animals. In fact the cafe is named after one of their cows. There's also a beekeeper and a winery that makes wine from grapes from as close as New England and as far as Italy. Plus, there are sculptures on the grounds from a local artist. In short, this is a place where people are devoted to what they do. It's the anti-Denny's.
Now for the meal. First off, the breakfast menu was a bit quirky. The only mention of eggs was the scrambled eggs within the breakfast burrito. No mention of eggs any way you want them. We asked if they would make a plate of scrambled eggs. Sure. No problem. You just have to ask.
The menu also offers popovers, a local specialty. We ordered them and the waitress said they were in the oven and would take 15 minutes. Everything here is homemade, and that means there's no assembly line, as at a Denny's. We were willing to wait.
It was worth it. My vegetarian son loved the breakfast burrito, which he said was loaded with cooked fresh vegetables. The yogurt parfait was described as a perfect balance of yogurt, granola and fruit. The homemade sausage patty was delicious. It was the size of a hamburger, easily enough for two. And the popovers were good and hot.
In short, not a place if you're in a hurry. But if you want a breakfast place where the food is fresh, homemade and served by people who seem happy in their work, this is it.
One last thing: our waitress explained that the chef studied and worked in Italy, and that his pizzas are great. We didn't have a chance to get back to try them. But we will the next time we're in the area.

1 Thank DonD2701
Albany, New York
“Fantastic afternoon treats!”
Reviewed August 13, 2014

We stopped in for an afternoon treat. My son got the S'mores calzone which was amazing - the smokiness of the calzone crust cooked in the wood oven with the marshmallow and chocolate melted goodness was the ultimate! My daughter got the Nutella pizza, topped with blueberries and strawberries was great as well. My wife's had the special - lavender panna cotta was delicious as was my blueberry pie and my other daughters thumbprint cookies. Can't wait to go back and try pizza

1 Thank Jeff Z
Baltimore, MD
“Very Good with the Potential to be Outstanding”
Reviewed August 12, 2014

We were tired of the choices in Bar Harbor, so decided to drive down Route 3 to see what we could find. The sign for "farm fresh food" caught our eye, so we pulled in here. We ordered three pizzas, and a salad. The food was fresh, and local, which was great, but some of the combinations just didn't work (salmon pizza). It would also be nice if they had a few more choices. The staff was extremely nice, my husband got a free sample of a local rum after he inquired about it, and when my kids ate all the ginger cookies before I had a chance to try one, we got another one for free. All the cookies were DELICIOUS. We love farm to table restaurants, so this place was right up our alley, and it was very good. I think with time, it has the potential to become one of the best places on the island.

2 Thank MerrylandMama