“Probably my favorite place in town”
Review of Finback Alehouse

Finback Alehouse
Ranked #20 of 152 Restaurants in Bar Harbor
Cuisines: American
Good for: Local cuisine, Families with children, Bar scene
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Lunch, Reservations
Reviewed June 3, 2014

I am living in Bar Harbor for the season and love the rotating beer selection here. Not only do they consistently have great beer, but the main bartender, Chloe, is friendly and knowledgeable. A few tips: the spinach salad is amazing, and so are the crab cakes. Don't forget to try some of the meads they feature as well.

1  Thank Stephanie H

Reviewed May 19, 2014 via mobile

Upon walking in to the Finback we were greeted by a friendly and warm staff. The environment is incredibly comfortable and welcoming. The food is delicious with grass fed beef a variety of options and very filling portions. The selection of draft beers is varied and complimentary to the wonderful cuisine. They have a great mix of local and away craft beers. This is a must visit when dining in Bar Harbor! Don't miss out.

Reviewed May 19, 2014

We stopped by here for lunch while we were in town. They have great drink and menu selections. My husband got a delicious haddock sandwich. I got the hummus plate and the hummus was barely edible. I could have sent it back but we were in vacation mode and so I just enjoyed my mojito and picked at my husband's yummy sandwich. The bartender was also playing host and waiter and he did a fantastic job managing all three duties. Overall it was just an average experience.

Reviewed May 18, 2014

Went today for a late lunch and had the lobster dinner (18.95) which included fries and coleslaw, a fish and chips (15.00) and two Black Bears beers(5.50 for a pint) which is from a brewery in Orono, ME. Service was good as was the food. The beer menu was extensive, they even had a beer from North Coast Brewery in Ft. Bragg, CA! We stuck to Maine beers. Would go back again.

Reviewed May 17, 2014

We were here in the middle of May during the Taste of Bar Harbor festival. On Thursday we joined in the Dessert Taste which took us to many establishments in town for a taste of a specially prepared dessert. We arrive at the Finback Alehouse after having had a dozen other desserts already, and quite honestly thought we had already found our winner in the earlier samplings, on top of which we had reached a point of really being satiated with too much sweats. Still, at 10 minutes till 9 we entered and found that unlike the other places which had the dessert pre-prepared, Finback Alehouse was making their desserts to order. This took a few extra minutes and what came out wasn't really much to look at: a couple of pieces of fried banana bread, a few slices of banana, some ice cream, and a drizzle of maple syrup. What's special about that? PLENTY!! It was so good, that I called the server back and told her that any chef who could make such a wonderful dessert out of those ingredients was the chef I wanted to see what he could do for a meal.

My wife ordered hamburger sliders. I asked for a recommendation and ended up with the Lobster Mac and Cheese. Not surprisingly, both of us had had our fill from all the desserts we had eaten so after a few bites while it was hot, we asked for a box to take it with us. We enjoyed these items for lunch the next day.

Both as a dinner and as a lunch we enjoyed these thoroughly. Now, I'm from the Midwest, and I sort of laugh at what passes for beef in on the East Coast. But the quality of the sliders (which my wife allowed me to sample) was excellent possessing a smoky flavoring you rarely find even when cooking over the barbeque at home. And while it is the most expensive mac and cheese I've ever eaten, costing the same as a full-priced entrée, it is probably also the best. There was no skimping on the crab in the mac and cheese, and that same smoky flavor was presented and worked in a way I would not have anticipated.

In addition to the food, I want to commend the attitude of friendly service we encountered during our visit. By the time we had sampled the dessert and decided we were interested in a meal, the kitchen was scheduled to close. But they said no problem and were quite happy to fix us not just something, but anything we wanted from the menu. Our waitress provided us with high quality service, continually checking on us and seeing that our needs were met. The bar was filled with friendly people who so that we found ourselves having conversation with a few other patrons giving us opportunity to observe that all were being similarly cared for.