“Fun Place, Good Fish Tacos”
Review of Finback Alehouse

Finback Alehouse
Ranked #24 of 152 Restaurants in Bar Harbor
Cuisines: American
Good for: Families with children, Local cuisine, Bar scene
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Lunch, Reservations
Reviewed September 17, 2013

We had a lovely lunch that rolled into late afternoon cocktails on a rainy day. The interior is really nice, all polished wood, we felt like we were on a boat while sitting at the bar. The island fish tacos were amazing, one of the top ones I have ever had: lots of fish, great flavor, good heat from jalapeños but not overwhelming. And the blueberry "lemonade" is top notch, it should be called the Maine mojito!

Reviewed September 17, 2013

We loved the inside of this place The hand done woodwork is just lovely. We sat at the bar and had great service. Enjoyed chatting with the locals there. My husband had the cobb salad. The house smoked bacon in the salad was delicious. I had the amazing short rib grilled cheese. We enjoyed our visit there and will return next time we're in town.

Reviewed September 14, 2013

We stopped here for lunch while in Bar Harbor. I was surprised to see the prices when I opened the menu as they were higher than I expected for a pub-style restaurant.

I got the Fish and Chips - which were good...and my husband got Chili - also good.

He also had a couple of beers. The Wicked IPA by Atlantic Brewing Company got a ranking of 8 out of 10 and the Thunkder Hole Ale got a 9 out of 10.

Reviewed September 12, 2013

We noticed the early bird special posted last night so tonight tried it out. The beer was delicious. The lobster dinner which included corn on the cob or French fries and coleslaw for $13.95 was fantastic. Deserts were yummy. The blueberry pie was the "real thing". Service was very good. It is a cute restaurant and a good value. I wish I wasn't leaving the area or I would go back again!

Reviewed September 8, 2013

We visited this restaurant for lunch because as we walked by we saw a Trip Advisor Award of excellence sign printed and posted in the window. That and my husband noticed something that struck his fancy on the menu in the window. I am giving it an overall generous score of average.

Atmosphere:
We were not sure if they were open because the place was on the dark side and no one was sitting at any tables. However we went on it and were told that they had just opened. The atmosphere felt like a pub and the room was dominated by a large bar. There were wooden tables and a painted tin ceiling. By the time we left there were a few more tables of folks, but I was wondering if the place was empty because of the food…but more on that.

The Food:
My husband ordered duck meatloaf ($12) and was very happy with it. He rated it an 8 out of 10. It was a generous portion and was served atop a bed of mashed potatoes and a piece of toast. It had a very nice sauce which had rosemary in it and was garnished with fresh rosemary. He ordered a Gritty’s Pub Ale on tap ($5.50) which was delicious with the meatloaf.

I wasn’t as happy with my choices. I was in the mood for scallops so I asked the server how many were in the serving. She stated 4 so I ordered a cup of clam chowder to go with it. The chowder ($7) was about a 6 to 7 however; I was very disappointed with the scallops ($12). There were only 2 on the plate and were served with some kind of seared pork bellies. The scallops were over cooked and not very flavorful and I think the server should know the answers to a simple question like how many are on the plate. However, they were served on a delicious bed of corn, tomatoes and baby spinach.

I would go back for the beer and the meatloaf, but I would never consider the scallops again. I would recommend sticking with pub fare and beer if you go here.