“Great Meal”

Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Franklin, New Hampshire
“Great Meal”
Reviewed August 26, 2013

This is a little pricey but very good food. My daughter loved the Lavender Brule(I am sure I did not spell it correctly)---.Very nice atmosphere.

Visited August 2013

Bar Harbor, Maine
“A return visit doesn't disappoint”
Reviewed August 23, 2013

Mt Desert Island offers many opportunities to have a good meal and, repeatedly, Town Hill Bistro remains as one of our favorites. Be sure to get a reservation as this place continues to be popular among both locals and visitors. Though small, the setting is charming and comfortable with enough spacing to have private conversations yet on a scale that the enjoyment of others adds to a festive ambience. The owner, JJ, is quick to welcome everyone coming through the door while he stays busy making his amazing "Mo-tini" cocktails. The menu changes with what is fresh from local farmers and the salads are perfect starters. This night, I enjoyed a steak, which is something I almost never eat. Cooked perfectly and accompanied by wonderful mashed potatoes. Companions loved their panko-crusted haddock and the fish is always a sure bet here.

3 Thank Lilybdog
Lahaina, Hawaii
“Our Best Meal in/around Bar Harbor”
Reviewed August 22, 2013

This was our wild card reservation (in addition to Mache Bistro and Havana). We weren't sure we wanted to drive, etc., but the trip was well worth it. I read the other reviews before we went and after we got home, and I have to say that every dish at Town Hill was well-thought-out and perfectly executed. I understand some of the less-glowing comments, but Bar Harbor is not really a fine dining destination IMHO. It has some really good food and great local ingredients and has fun spots with their own vibes, but it is not a foodie mecca. It's a family vacation town. A *seasonal* town, too. So after the first two places we got a feeling for what to expect, then Town Hill really surprised us in the best way. Our server was knowledgeable and professional. The food was terrific. If you're only having one "nice dinner" out, don't compare it to your last degustation menu in NY or Boston, it's not fair to Bar Harbor.

1 Thank NeitherHereNorTher
Baltimore
“Not Mainely excellent.”
Reviewed August 17, 2013

My wife and I had great expectations which were not met when we had dinner last night at Town Hill Bistro. I made reservations well in advance and the owner, Maureen, was told that it was my wife's BDay. We were greeted pleasantly and immediately taken to our table. A few minutes later a young woman comes to the table, and without introducing herself or , at least, saying something introductory, like "how are you folks today", or just "welcome to Town Hill Bistro", the first words out of her mouth were "I have a few specials for you today". I'm sorry, but, I offer more pleasantries to the person I pass on the street than that. It was only after she told us of the specials that she then asked us about drinks. She never did introduce herself.
The meal was just OK, certainly no gourmet experience. Nothing bad, but, nothing particularly special. My wife's salad of organic greens was purely simple. No attempt made to make the salad interesting in any way. I had the cold shrimp on sliced cucumbers appetizer which had very little taste. And, it was made with those tiny little shrimp, you know ,like those that come out of a can. The shrimp at that size have no taste or texture and with little to no seasoning in the dish, it was a miss. Just give me two or three nice size shrimp that have their own taste and texture with a delicate but flavorful sauce and i would be happy.
As for entrees, the lobster couscous was very tasty and well prepared,but, again they used those same little tiny shrimp in the dish which have no visual or taste appeal. If you are going to add shrimp to this lobster dish then put one or two nice sized sautéed or grilled shrimp in the dish for an added dimension.
My pork shank was well prepared, full of flavor, and very tender.
Finally, we ordered the steamed lemon cake for desert. It came out with no candle for my wife's BDay! This, after I had notified them at the time of making the reservation and mentioning the occasion again when I confirmed the reservation a few days ahead of time. Are you kidding me? You have no more than ten tables in the entire restaurant and you can't make a special moment happen?
As we were leaving, I went to the woman who was managing, expecting that she was Maureen, the owner. She said, "no I am not Maureen. Maureen, is home in bed by now". Well, Maureen, maybe if you were in your restaurant you could have seen to it that a simple but important little detail, like, the candle, would have happened.

11 Thank Sailorman320
Mamacook, Owner at Town Hill Bistro, responded to this review, August 18, 2013
Dear Sailorman, thanks for coming in! Just two things in response. First, birthday candle? Seriously? You're correct, you did speak to me, Maureen, when you made your reservation & yes you did mention your wife's birthday. I spoke to my awesome staff and from now on, whenever someone mentions it is a special day, we are going to light sparklers and dance around the dining room while singing a specially composed birthday extravaganza song! Thanks for the tip!
Secondly, Maine shrimp. Maine shrimp only come in one tiny little perfectly sweet and delicate size.
We DO NOT use any seafood that is not locally and sustainably caught and that is why you will NEVER see Southern Gulf Coast (aka Jumbo Shrimp) at our place. Just because you are not aware of what a delicacy you were served, doesn't diminish they're beauty. And on a final note, lighten up, buddy! I'm sure that your delightful company was alone enough to make your wife's special day just wonderful!
PS... I work 7 days a week. About 80-90 hours a week from May-Nov. Not that I should need to explain it to you, but Friday nights I get to spend a few hours with my parent deprived 7 year old son and his Dad. You can try to make me feel bad about not being available for you to explain your displeasure about not putting a candle in your adult wife's special birthday dessert, but time with my child is way more important to me.
Falls Church, Virginia, United States
“Amazing Gnocchi and the desserts are ridiculous”
Reviewed August 16, 2013

My wife and I were able to get a table twice during our annual two week stay on the Island. Both visits were a delight. The staff is very friendly, knowledgeable and low key. Wine selection was very good - not too flashy but well thought out. The food shines here. try the Gnocchi. Off the charts. For dessert - the panna cotta is so smooth and delicious but the steamed lemon cake is one of the best desserts I've had in years (and I'm a pastry snob).

Small space so I would suggest calling well ahead to secure a table.

If you are looking for super fancy and stuffy, not your scene. The focus is on the atmosphere, food and service and they get top marks in all three departments.

1 Thank Eric A