“Amazing Gnocchi and the desserts are ridiculous”
Review of Town Hill Bistro - CLOSED

Town Hill Bistro
Good for: Local cuisine, Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Falls Church, Virginia, United States
“Amazing Gnocchi and the desserts are ridiculous”
Reviewed August 16, 2013

My wife and I were able to get a table twice during our annual two week stay on the Island. Both visits were a delight. The staff is very friendly, knowledgeable and low key. Wine selection was very good - not too flashy but well thought out. The food shines here. try the Gnocchi. Off the charts. For dessert - the panna cotta is so smooth and delicious but the steamed lemon cake is one of the best desserts I've had in years (and I'm a pastry snob).

Small space so I would suggest calling well ahead to secure a table.

If you are looking for super fancy and stuffy, not your scene. The focus is on the atmosphere, food and service and they get top marks in all three departments.

1 Thank Eric A

Maine
“Not sure this is #1 on MDI”
Reviewed August 15, 2013

Although my partners dinner was superbly cooked and just as he expected, mine did not live up to expectations. The grilled arugula was good and the blue cheese dressing tasty but not a first rate salad. After a few bites the bitterness of the arugula came thru and the grilling just added to it. It lacked other ingredients that could have countered the "bite" and although I cant say what, It just wasn't one of those composed salads that just wows you with the right combo of greens, fresh inseason veggies,and accompaniments. I then tried the lamb steak special. It was dry and just above room temperature. My partners pork had come out hot and I definitely knew mine had either sat for a bit or an attempt to reheat it was made. My side dish of potato was hot as were the mix o vegetables and it was accompanied by a cucumber raita which was good. I did not finish it and ate from my partners pork shank. a few other service issues added discomfort to the evening, and although not bad, not perfect in everyway either!

Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Great dining on MDI”
Reviewed August 14, 2013

We had a delicious dinner and excellent service on a busy evening. We walked in without a reservation and the bartender/maitre d' was very accommodating. A good variety of dishes from local sources that are originally prepared. Best meal we had on MDI.

Durham, New Hampshire
“Delightful”
Reviewed August 11, 2013

This little bistro is so unpretentious and with first class food. We have been making a yearly stop at it since soon after it opened. It was good then and even better now. I had two small plates, starting with two local cheeses - a goat's milk camembert that was mouth watering and another somewhat firmer goat's milk cheese that was also divine, followed by a wild mushroom dish that was fabulous. My husband had a green salad followed by pork loin and those were excellent too. Excellent wine list also.

Alexandria, VA
“Perfect in every way”
Reviewed August 11, 2013

We arrived for dinner in a driving rain, amidst dark clouds and low-hanging fog. Our table was waiting for us and within minutes we felt totally relaxed and at home in this small, lovely, unpretentious dining room. This was our second visit and as before, we loved every bite of our beautiful, perfectly prepared meals: terrific soup and salad, fresh flounder, lobster and shrimp over pearl couscous, homebaked breads, and creme brulee with lavender.

The hostess and our server were friendly and welcoming, offering a taste of a wine we were considering: service was prompt, but not hurried and the price of this amazing meal was far below what we paid in some of the other highly-rated restaurants on Mt. Desert.
All in all, a delightful evening in every way.

2 Thank MartsoSwan