“Inexpensive but had problems” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Sunnyside Motel & Cottages

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Bar Harbor
Sunnyside Motel & Cottages
Ranked #28 of 41 Hotels in Bar Harbor
Los Angeles
“Inexpensive but had problems”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 7, 2008

We stayed in a motel room for 3 nights since we weren't planning on spending much time in the room. It had a queen size bed and was adequate. My main complaint regards the bathroom. It was very small, about 6 sq feet, and had an out-dated shower stall. I can't begin to describe it other than being from the fifties or forties, it looks like a temporary set-up. Both the sink and shower had water leaks and constantly dripped. The towels were wafer thin. No in-room coffee or tea, or ice-bucket. Really bare bones accommodations. Lack of power outlets for recharging electronic devices such as battery recharger, pda, cell phones, and laptop. Had to disconnect lamp, clock, and refrigerator.

The motel says free wireless connection, but for all the nights of our stay it never worked. My laptop says connected, but very weak and totally useless. When I reported that the internet connection was not working, the owner says it's due to the rainy weather and suggested that I stand outside to get a better signal. When he made that comment I just walked away in disgust with such an asinine suggestion. If it wasn't raining at night, it was freezing cold in the 40's F.

Overall very disappointed and had hoped for more, but then again you get what you pay for. Next time I will spend more to suffer less. This is an husband and wife owned facility and closes down after 10 pm. If you arrive after 10 pm, look carefully for the hotel and cottages because they turn off most of the lights, even their marquee goes dark. During the day you can't miss it as all the cottages and hotel are painted a bright yellow (i.e., sunnyside)..

Location is not convenient and is the first hotel upon entering Mt Desert Island and is about 10 miles from Bar Harbor, and 7 miles from the Acadia National Park Visitor's Center. This review is for their motel accommodations. Perhaps the cottages are better than the motel, but I won't test my luck twice.

• Liked — Inexpensive
  • Disliked — Most everything about the accommodations.
  • Stayed October 2008
3 Thank npphotog
sunbh, Owner at Sunnyside Motel & Cottages, responded to this review, April 11, 2009
Thank you for staying with us and taking the time to post your concerns. Although our facilities are simpler than those you'll find at bigger hotels, we choose to focus on cleanliness, comfort, and most importantly, affordability. We strive to provide the best value we can possibly offer in an area of overpriced competitors and, as such we must forego certain amenities. We understand the need for niceties such as WIFI, but I must apologize and simply state that I am in no way as knowledgeable as I'd like to be to help resolve connectivity issues, etc. As a point of information, all motel bathrooms have been renovated this year, so guest concerns have been addressed.
Please accept my apology for the few shortcomings you may have experienced. Once again, thank you for your patronage.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
Panama
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 25, 2008

We (2 people) stayed here because the hotel owner and operator said he would give us a discount. We wanted a kitchen and was tired from our long drive. I signed the credit card slip without looking at the final price (foolish me). I trusted I was given a good rate as he promised esp discounted more since I planned to stay 3 nights.
According to him,the cottage was the best one. Well it was drab, dirty, uncomfortable and cold. I even come down with a coughing cold. On the second day I was looking at the credit card slip and I was amazed at the price. He charged close to $300. I asked him about it nicely and he got explosive. He said I was a trouble maker and he would sue me. I asked him for a receipt and he refused to give it to me. I packed up my bags and left Maine a day earlier than planned. Even though I only stayed there for 2 nights and overpaid for 3 nights: I never received a refund. I called my credit card company immediately on the drive out, but it was not a good one. They wouldnot deduct it and would reimburse after their review. I also dealt with the chamber of commerce and the Arcadia National Park information center and after many letters back and forth, they did nothing becasue the owner lied and said I had agreed to the price and I stayed 3 nights. I have been around the world and this was the WORST experience I've had.

• Liked — nothing
  • Disliked — misrepresentation
  • Stayed October 2007, traveled with family
4 Thank stanvia
Boston, Massachusetts
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 9, 2008

Cute, clean cottages with almost all the necessities. Decor/furniture a bit dated and sparse. Little kitchenette had the basics. Owners were friendly and nice, but fyi they run a very tight ship. Reasonably priced for travelers on a budget- however, it was almost 10 miles out from Main Street in Bar Harbor. Next time we visit the area we will probably try a place closer to town (and I am willing to bet we can find an ever better deal).

• Liked — cleanliness
  • Disliked — location
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Mubble83
NH
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 6, 2007

I traveled to Bar Harbor (8/07) to see Acadia and my girlfriend and I had a 1 night reservation at Sunnyside Cottages. We checked in and found the room to be decent but the bathroom layout could use some upgrading. The room was clean and it was right off Rt. 1. Road noise was minimal.

We came back from a long day in the park and dining in Bar Harbor (11 pm) to find that several parking spots directly in front of our room were taken with other cars. The parking was logically set-up to provide parking for each motel unit directly in front of the room. I wasn't sure where to park and attempted to contact management but the office was closed. The posted sign stated that there was no vacancy indicating a full parking lot likely later in the evening. I carefully parked on a grassy area (not in especially great shape) directly across from the parking intended for my room. This was a tempory solution until the morning since I did not want to extend the same discourtesy to some other renter by taking their spot. I also did not want an unhappy renter to key my car in anger. I planned to immediately move my car at daybreak.

I went to my car around 6-7 am the next morning and found a sign on the windshield stating not to park on the grass. We hurriedly packed all of our supplies into the car and proceeded to the office to check-out. We met the owner and I explained to him the reason for parking on the grass. He went into a tirade about the incident stating that there were no assigned spots, etc. and did not listen to any of my comments. He did not even acknowledge that numbered spots would be a good idea for the future. He also threatened to hit me! We left in disgust but knew that the motel itself was ok, however, he needs training in customer service.

My recommendation to all before staying is to be aware of this situation (owner's wife was very pleasant during checkin and not part of this problem ) and to request an assigned parking spot in front of your room to ensure that there are no parking issues. It is not reasonable to have people park all over the parking lot in front of other rooms causing a domino effect inconvenience. Numbered spots would fix the problem and be an inexpensive solution.

If the owner's read this, please take this proactive suggestion to heart and assign numbered parking spots to the rooms. It will greatly help customer satisfaction and reduce future headaches for both. Thank you.

Stayed August 2007
6 Thank jdiws
new york
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 3, 2007

We stayed in this place for 4 days and 3 night. The place is more than we expected. Its clean and affordable, the owner, Richard was very friendly.
The cottage we got was 2 bedroom with 2 double bed and a twin bed and a kitchenette. According to the owner, it is a newer unit, so it has electric heater in each room also television in each room.
Its also has portable BBQ grill that we can use, 2 lawn chairs and a picnic table right outside our cottage.
Each cottage in the property has its own screen porch, which very nice.
They have a policy that we should do our dishes before we leave or they will charge $25, which we don't mind at all.
The location is not too far away from bar harbor, 5 to 10 minutes driving and there are restaurant around the area.
We did not tried the swimming pool, because it was close for the seasons. We truly enjoyed the stay....

• Liked — the screen porch at the front of the cottages
  • Disliked — n/a
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled with family
Bergen County NJ
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 8, 2007

I stayed at the Sunnyside Motel and Cottages with my boyfirend for a week in August. Maine is AWESOME and the LOSTER is incredible! I would go back in a heart beat. Here is the skinny on the island of Bar Harbor.

Many of the places in and outside of Bar Harbor are NOT chains. Some are clean and some aren't even neat. Sunnyside is 9 miles outside of town but VERY clean. I had an older cottage , which was very clean but if you want a better bathroom and better bed get a newer cottage. The Pool was clean and you can do laundry there..which is nice. There is no heat or A/C in the cottage so bring an extra fan....I like it cold when I sleep =). The cottages are great becuase you can make breakfast instead of spending money and get mor Lobstah (the way they say it in Maine) at night or for lunch.

Now if you want to get out and about....there is MUCH to do! Stay away from the THe Log Cabin Restaurant, just outside town. It is terrible. DO BY ALL MEANS GO to a Loster Pound! You will have the best Loster in your life! I liked Lunt's and Trenton's just over the bridge outside of town - the prices where right, the people were nice and the LOSTAH was awesome!

DOn't do the fishing trip BUT do the Margaret Todd Sunset cruise and the Whale watching. Acadia National Park was a nice trip and the Atlatnic Brewing Co. was nice too.

Have fun!

• Liked — It was clean!
  • Disliked — the shower was small
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled on business
The Colony on Frenchman's Bay
Acadia Sunrise Motel
Acadia Sunrise Motel
#1 of 3 in Trenton

Been to Sunnyside Motel & Cottages? Share your experiences!