“Horrible place and service.”

Sunnyside Motel & Cottages
Ranked #31 of 42 Hotels in Bar Harbor
Reviewed November 27, 2013

We booked the two bedroom cottage on a long weekend. When I was talking on the phone with them I spoke it so clear that I would love to book it for "2 nights" and they said "ok" so when we arrived there, the story change. They charged my credit card for "3 nights". I complained about that and they said well, they only do 3 nights for a long weekend and if we don't want to stay, they are ok with that but will charge me for a night (costs almost $200). And of course, I know how long we will stay because we have to go back and work too. I can't be wrong with that. Be careful, if you want to stay at this place, make sure to ask them a confirmation. For my case, I asked them and they said it's ok. I already booked you a place. Don't worry, bla bla bla....! But again just ask, please!
For a cottage, bedroom is small for the master bedroom. Kitchen and bathroom are also way too small. The main entrance door need to be fixed. Only one car can park in front otherwise if you have another car, you have to park on the motel side. No camp fire. If you need to get food, you have to drive to somewhere.
For the service, maybe because we argued with each other when we just arrived there so they said they will give us a tour, show us a map but yes he did that. Just with us not with my friends because we went there like a big group and came seperate times. My friends talked to me and said how come they didn't say anything about the information, even though they were say they will be helpful. On the next day, we went to get coffee at lobby and asked them for some sugar. So he said oh don't know you guys drink coffee with sugar because I'm not. And he tried to find some but unfortunately they ran out. I can't believe that will happen with this place because people usually drink cooffee with sugar, maybe some don't. But still, I think you better should have some. I travel a lot and went to Bar Harbor so many times, I always got a good treat except this cottage.
One more thing, there are so many signs inside the cottage and say after you use thing, you have to clean it otherwise they will charge you later. So we didn't even touch anything and so uncomfortable because we pay for staying there and use the amenities but end up we have to clean all things. That kinda sucks, right? Why do I pay for my vacation and I have to do the things by myself. So ridiculous! I won't never ever stay again and better do camping or sleep in car instead if i have no place to stay.

Stayed: September 2013, traveled with friends
6  Thank Ailey C
sunbh, Owner at Sunnyside Motel & Cottages, responded to this reviewResponded December 1, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to submit your review, and more importantly for staying with us during the Columbus Day weekend. While we appreciate our guest's comments, your review seems to provide conflicting information and inaccuracies. Yes, you did inquire for a two night accommodation, however prior to making your reservation we informed you that we had a three night minimum for the holiday weekend. You acknowledged this and agreed in making the reservation as evidenced in your confirmation which was emailed to you on October 1, 2013 at 7:53 PM. We can gladly provide either a screen shot or duplicate email to reconfirm. Furthermore, you signed the charge slip in agreement when we spoke on the topic during check-in.
Our cottages are "housekeeping cottages". As the title implies, you are responsible for general upkeep of your unit, despite our daily provided housekeeping services. Our policy regarding cleaning refers primarily to our kitchen supplies and appliances, as you may have noticed the placards were placed in the kitchen area with language specifically referencing the kitchen. We simply ask that guests leave the kitchen (utensils, pots, pans, etc) in the same cleaned condition they were provided. This is a fairly standard practice among condo/cottage/cabin rentals. We sincerely apologize if that seemed confusing.
Once again, thank you for your feedback. We strive to provide every guest with the very best accommodations and service that we can.

Reviewed October 1, 2013

WE stayed 2 nights in the motel. Very comfortable like in a mountain cabin.
the room especially the bathroom was immaculate. Nice to have small refrigerator. microwave and moring coffee available in the office. The owner Richard spent quite a bit of time outlining thing to see, do and where to eat. Price very reasonable. As with other reviews highly reccomend it.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Molemontana
Reviewed September 14, 2013

We called at the last minute and was graciously accommodated. We found it very convenient to Bar Harbour and Acadia National Park and the proprietors were friendly very helpful and responsive to our questions and concerns. We were delighted at the cleanliness and how well maintained the place is. We highly recommend it!

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank danette55
Reviewed September 11, 2013

We stayed two nights in the motel.The room was clean and comfortable.The owners were very friendly with us. They gave us some tips and suggestions from the area.The price was really good considering the area.A convenient Laundromat is available.We spent a good stay.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank mariaL51860
Reviewed August 26, 2013

We stayed one night in the motel and two in a cottage. We were very impressed with the cleanliness. Being able to stay in the cottage and being able to have the kitchen to cook in worked great for us. The owners were extremely accommodating and friendly. I highly recommend this place. The rates were great and the rooms and cottages were great. My family hopes to make this an annual trip and we will be staying here when we return.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Celeste T
Reviewed August 14, 2013

Stayed for two nights & enjoyed it. Proprietors are friendly and helpful, Great wake-up coffee available in the lobby. Room was clean and the TV and refrigerator worked fine -- all we needed for a the evening after being out all day. No real amenities. Price seemed OK considering the rates for other hotels/motels closer to Bar Harbor.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Richard J
Reviewed August 7, 2013

We stayed four nights in a two bedroom cottage which was just the right size for our family of five. One bedroom with a queen bed and the other bedroom with two double beds for the children. The cottage was very clean and comfortable with daily housekeeping. The kitchen was a great asset for us as we could prepare breakfast each day rather than having to go out to eat. The screen porch was a great spot for morning coffee, which is available at the office or brew your own with the coffee pot provided in the kitchen. The porch was equally welcoming for a glass of wine in the evening after exploring all day. The location is good- provides access to many areas of the Park and Ellsworth. Even though it is located along Hwy. 3 it is still very quiet in the evening. Very nicely landscaped- beautiful flowers around our cottage. Price was fair considering we visited during peak season and the owners were very welcoming and accommodating. Overall the cottage was a great place to stay with a family-good value and clean.

Room Tip: All the cottages looked very nice, we stayed in #7.