“Clean, friendly, affordable.”

and 1 more site!
Sunnyside Motel & Cottages
Ranked #30 of 41 Hotels in Bar Harbor
Reviewed August 6, 2013

We only stayed at the Sunnyside for one night - in one of the hotel rooms. It was great for the price. I would have liked one of the cottages but booked late and they don't do one night unless it's not otherwise booked. Everything was clean, the people were friendly. I'd recommend it. It turned out to be a little farther from the park entrance than we would have liked, but again the price was right. No need to spend a lot of $$$$ for a place to sleep. I'd shy away from the rooms that face the road and was worried night time traffic would wake me where I was but it didn't. Room had AC but there was a great breeze.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank marianne583

Reviewed August 5, 2013

I had no idea what I was getting into when I drove the 600 plus miles to stay here. The location was perfect. I was traveling with three young ones and this location allowed us easy access to Acadia and Bar Harbor, but alos left us close enough to ellsworth that we could get to a real grocery store and some other restaurant options that were less touristy. The price was very fair, and the owners did everything they could to make our stay pleasant. When one of the owners met my daughters she gave them a whole lesson on flowers and even seperated some of the day lillies so my daughters could plant them back at our home in PA to remember the trip. They were also more than willing to help us plan out some of the best spots to see with small children. I must also add that I had to change my reservation to a week later and the owners had been very clear on the required notices to make this change. I follwed that and there was no addtional charge. Thank you Sunnyside for helping make such great memories for my girls.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank matthew f
Reviewed July 23, 2013

We just returned from 3 nights at Sunnyside and have nothing negative to say! The cottages and grounds are immaculate, simple, but updated! Nice, clean pool that was a huge bonus after the hot weather. When we asked for an extra fan (most rooms have ceiling fans) Helena provided immediately.
The beds are excellent, and are made up every day as well as the whole cottage tidied up.
The owners are wonderful and obviously put much care and work into this spot. We would def. go again. It is about 15 mins from downtown BH, but that was actually a bonus for us!

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank andrea t
Reviewed July 8, 2013

We stayed in one of the motel rooms here during 4th of July vacation for 3 nights. The price was really reasonable considering the holidays. The hotel is about 10 miles from the Acadia entrance and attractions in Bar Harbor town.

We really liked our cute little room, it was neat & clean, and was cleaned everyday. The owners are very friendly. There is air conditioning in the room which was absolutely necessary for the scorching heat. It is a perfect place for budget travelers.

Things to know:
There is no microwave in room. There is one in the office that you can use, but office closes at 10 PM, so if you want to use that you need to get back before 10 PM.

No breakfast.

The stand up shower is a bit small.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Enamul H
Reviewed June 27, 2013

We spent 4 nights here in Cabin 8. We had two bedrooms-a king sized bed in one room and two twins in the other. Good sized bedrooms with plenty of drawer space as well as being able to hang up clothes if needed. TV in each bedroom. Nice sized kitchen with a small fridge, microwave, coffee maker, stove top, dishes and utensils, sink, and a table with four chairs. There is also a gas grill available to use. Bathroom also a good size with a tub. Nice screened in porch with two chairs and a small table as well as Adirondacks and a picnic table outside in front of the cabin. The cabin was spotless as well as being very modern with up to date décor. The rest of our two week trip our family of four shared a single hotel room so having a few days with space to ourselves and not all having to take turns changing clothes in the bathroom was heavenly. Big outdoor pool-not heated but the temps got up to the high 80's our last day there and the water was perfectly refreshing. Guest laundry-$1.50 per load to wash or dry and they do sell detergent in the office if you don't bring your own. The property is located just off of Route 3-our cabin was set back far enough that we didn't notice any road noise-and the grounds are meticulously maintained. Approximately 7 miles to the Hulls Cove entrance of Acadia and maybe a 15 minute drive into the heart of Bar Harbor. Lots of restaurants, small shops, gas, mini golf, etc. within a few minutes drive or anything you could possible need, including a Walmart, a bit further in Ellsworth. Owners were very nice and accommodating. If we ever return to the area, which I certainly hope we will, I would not hesitate to stay here again.

Room Tip: Cabin was fabulous-I had initially planned on choosing a one bedroom unit with 2 beds in it but for...
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed June 25, 2013

We stayed at the motels room (all look lately renewed). They had a back door leading to green grass with a little playground and a pool. The kids said - it's a hotel, not a motel. They liked it.
They also have cottages. (With kitchen and everything. Most of the guests stayed in those, and they seem to like it, and from what I can tell from the outside, they are cute). The
The rooms were very clean, and had enough space for a family of 5. Everything works as it should. It took me a while to figure the air condition calibration, but once I did it worked great. The place is well kept. The owners are extremely nice. There is a washer and dryer, and Coffee in the morning.
Don't expect a big place. It's a mom and pap place, like some others, along the road to bar harbor.
Location is great for any spot on the Island: Both sides of Acadia, and Bar Harbor, are all easily reached with a car.
The only con: rates are higher then apear at the website. We were a family of five. We would have paid in a cottage about 150$. In a motel room ( our little one sleeps in our bed anyway, so 2 double is enough for us, but we still had to pay a bit more for that) 89$ in the last week of June.
I don't know how much lower it is for less people.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank IrsMomOf3
Reviewed June 24, 2013

We stayed in a one bedroom cottage and were very pleased with everything. Our cottage was recently renovated and Pride of Ownership showed through in every aspect of the place. The owners were very friendly and helpful. The price was very reasonable also. Highly satisfied and would recommend again and again!

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple