“pleasantly surprised”
Review of High Seas Motel

High Seas Motel
Ranked #20 of 41 Hotels in Bar Harbor
Reviewed September 2, 2010

It was only after staying in another hotel for one night (after staying here for 3 nights) that I really appreciated this motel. The room is large and there is ample counter space for toiletries. The grounds are very pretty and the pool is well maintained. The room came with a refrigerator. Although there is no microwave in the room, one is available in a common room where coffee is provided in the morning. I don't drink coffee. But, I was able to heat up water and make tea (I brought my own tea bags.) This is a basic, no frills motel, run by a very hard working couple who try their best to make their guests comfortable. I rarely write reviews, but I was so pleasantly surprised by this AAA 2 star motel that I had to share.

• Stayed: August 2010
1  Thank flehrer

Reviewed August 28, 2010

We loved the High Seas! Rooms were beautifully decorated. We made good use of the fridge and wireless Internet access in our room, as well as the microwave and coffee provided in the common vending area. Short drive to Acadia and Bar Harbor, but definitely not walking distance. In many ways, this is a plus because you are away from the crowds you find in the village of Bar Harbor. (There are still plenty of restaurants close enough by that you can eat well without driving that far; a couple of them are withing walking distance.) A good value for the area, and comfortable enough for a stay of several days to be enjoyable. I highly recommend the High Seas Motel.

One thing worth mentioning. We managed to lock ourselves out of our room within an hour of arriving because we pushed in the lock button on the inside of the doorknob as we exited. The maintenance person was quickly dispatched to get us back in, and we were told only to use this lock when we were inside the room. Sure enough, small print on the inside of the door also told us this. We didn't make this mistake again! :-)

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank SummerDriver
Reviewed August 22, 2010

When staying in Bar Harbor, you have 2 choices: spend $$$ for a top notch hotel/B&B in downtown Bar Harbor that is within walking distance of the harbor, or spend a more reasonable amount of money for what you really need: a clean, spacious motel with a few key amenities. We stayed at the High Seas Motel in August 2010 for a couple of nights and were completely satisfied - a cheerful welcome at the front desk, a very clean hotel room with all the basic amenities (including a small fridge), a few key extra amenities (a new, very clean pool, free Wi-Fi, morning coffee, playground for the kids to burn their extra calories), and a good location (just down the road from the entrance to Acadia & the visitor's center, nearby 2 restaurants for breakfast / dinner as well as Pirate's Cove miniature golf). Overall, we all expectations were exceeded and we look forward to staying here again!

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled with family
1  Thank Philipj11
Reviewed August 4, 2010

My girlfriend and I were looking at the last minute for a hotel in Bar Harbor, and were referred here by the employee of another hotel. We could not have been happier with our stay. The room was large, the price was right and the staff was more than courteous. Kelly was very cheerful and Rick was very helpful as well.The free wi-fi was a definite plus as well I would definitely recommend this hotel to anyone who wants to stay on the island and will stay there again next time we visit.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank NJMatty
Reviewed July 19, 2010

I have not found such a nice, clean and comfortable place for a roadside motel. Kelly is friendly. We were close to Bar Harbor and even with the President in the area, it was very quiet. I know where I'll stay whenever I'm in the area.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Yves2009
Reviewed June 23, 2010

Stayed here several years ago on vacation and reserved a room again when flying in for a family wedding. The front desk staff are knowledgeable and helpful. The room was spotless and the bed comfortable. The hotel is situated on Route 3 about three miles from down town Bar Harbor so it made for an easy commute to all the festivities. Being able to walk around the beautiful grounds in the evening made this a truly wonderful stay.

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled solo
Reviewed October 8, 2009

Me and my boyfriend went to visit Acadia National Park and Bar Harbor on a road trip with no hotel reservations so we found the high seas by calling all of the motels along route 1 until we found a vacancy. high Seas was very friendly and the cleanest place I have stayed in. The room is a simple generic motel room but, it is very big and very clean. It is just down the road from the Acadia National Park entrance and a short 8 min drive to downtown Bar Harbor. Highly recommend! it is a great value

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled as a couple