“Atlantic climbing school”

Atlantic Climbing School
More attraction details
Owner description: Named BEST OF MAINE by Down East Magazine! Featured in the New York Times! For 20 years Atlantic Climbing School has been the leader in rock climbing instruction and guiding in Maine. Healthy fun for the whole family! Half day and full day courses are available for individuals, couples, families and groups of all ages and ability levels. As Maine's premier rock climbing school we guarantee the best instruction, the most experienced guides and of course, the most rewarding rock climbing experience you'll ever have. All of our staff are certified AMGA Instructors and Guides and we are proud to be the ONLY guide service in Maine to have this distinction. In fun, in professional commitment, in everything we do - at Atlantic Climbing School, WE CLIMB HIGHER. All equipment provided. No experience needed! Accredited by the American Mountain Guides Association
Reviewed July 23, 2013

We went to Bar Harbor last summer (2012), and decided that we wanted to try real rock climbing as a family (we have been to indoor climbing places). Our kids were then 9 and 6. Everything was really organized and we had a wonderful guide. I can't remember her name now. She was young- she hadn't graduated from college quite yet, but she was an experienced climber. She was able to make it a really challenging, yet fun, experience for all of us-- even our 6 year old, who was a little timid about doing this.

If we were to go back, we'd def. do this again, and use Atlantic Climbing School.

All reviews
in 5 reviews
"whole family"
in 5 reviews

Reviewed July 23, 2013

It has been a tremendous privilege to have taken courses with the Atlantic Climbing School over the last handful of years. ACS has consistently delivered an experience catered perfectly to go above and beyond my own goals and expectations. The owner of ACS, Eli, (who was also my guide and teacher) is very personable, fun, and professional with a true passion for teaching and having a great time.
Four years ago on my first course with ACS, I had such an awesome experience climbing with and learning skills from Eli that it sparked an ambition in me that has honestly changed my life. I have since been able to take what I learned to confidently and safely begin climbing recreationally on my own. About a year ago, I returned to ACS to take a Single Pitch Instructor course in which Eli taught a curriculum of essential rescue and guiding techniques for a small group of us who wanted to learn more complex and advanced skills. Eli made even the most difficult skills easy to understand and fun to learn with his great knowledge of the subject and playful attitude.
I would recommend the Atlantic Climbing School above all others to ANYONE from absolute beginners looking for an unforgettable climbing experience in a gorgeous setting to the more experienced climber who is looking to learn some hard skills. Thank you ACS!!!

Reviewed July 22, 2013

We chose Atlantic Climbing School because of the positive reviews. Very professional and safety oriented, our guide Ansel immediately assessed our abilities and tailored climbs so that we were challenged. We chose a 1/2 day experience climb, which allowed for five separate courses. We climbed at Otter Cliffs in Acadia National Park, which was absolutely amazing! We would definitely do this again!

Reviewed July 20, 2013

We decided to use Atlantic Climbing School because they were #1 on TripAdvisor when I booked the trip - and that title was well deserved! Our group consisted of myself (32), my good friend (32), and her daughter (12). None of us had any rock climbing experience before so we did the Experience Course and they took us to South Bubble. After a short hike over quite a few boulders we make it to the climbing spot. I'll just say this is NOT for the faint of heart!

Our guide, Joel, was awesome. He was very laid back and confident and showed us the basics - the names of the equipment pieces, the many ways in which to keep a climb safe, how to tie the appropriate knots, etc. Then we began to climb, one by one. Anytime we got into a spot we had trouble maneuvering around, Joel was there with encouragement, advice, and a reminder to be patient and do what feels right. I tend to get stressed out when I feel rushed and I never felt that way once on this entire trip - and there were quite a few spots that stumped us and left us trying new things for 5-10 minutes. Joel assured us that when he climbs, he sometimes gets stumped and just stands there for 20 or more minutes waiting for something to come to him and that's part of the fun. I think this approach is what made me really love rock climbing and left me itching to do it again.

It was exhausting and though our legs were turning to jelly and our arms were shaky, my friend and I did 4 climbs, just willing ourselves to do more because were enjoying our time so much. My friend's daughter climbed right up to the top on her first climb and got scared of the height - Joel was calm and talked her down and though he offered, he didn't even have to go get her. She only ended up doing about half of another climb but she was excited to tell her friends of her adventure and her accomplishments.

If I am ever in Bar Harbor again, I will be sure to take another climb with Atlantic Climbing School and maybe next time try Otter Cliffs! I would also love to take that climb with Joel as he made that experience as wonderful as it was and I highly recommend him as a knowledgable, laid-back, and friendly guide. Thanks to Atlantic Climbing School and Joel for an unforgettable trip to Bar Harbor!

1  Thank tabby8517