“Amazing experience!!”

Atlantic Climbing School
More attraction details
Owner description: Named BEST OF MAINE by Down East Magazine! Featured in the New York Times! For 20 years Atlantic Climbing School has been the leader in rock climbing instruction and guiding in Maine. Healthy fun for the whole family! Half day and full day courses are available for individuals, couples, families and groups of all ages and ability levels. As Maine's premier rock climbing school we guarantee the best instruction, the most experienced guides and of course, the most rewarding rock climbing experience you'll ever have. All of our staff are certified AMGA Instructors and Guides and we are proud to be the ONLY guide service in Maine to have this distinction. In fun, in professional commitment, in everything we do - at Atlantic Climbing School, WE CLIMB HIGHER. All equipment provided. No experience needed! Accredited by the American Mountain Guides Association
Reviewed August 25, 2012

My family and I came to Bar Harbor this year for a week of "outdoor living" as we have visited the southern coast before and enjoyed it. As avid kayakers and bikers, Acadia Park seemed like the perfect playground and it did not disappoint! The highlight for my 12 y.o. son and myself was our half day adventure with the Atlantic Climbing School. We arrived at the office at 8 am and after meeting Alexa, our guide, and fitting some shoes and helmets, we were off for the cliffs. She opted to take us up to the less crowded Precipice where we hiked in to some amazing rock faces with incredible views. As first timers, Alexa was very patient, thorough, and most encouraging with us. My son and I completed three climbs on different faces each a little more challenging than the last. Of all the activities we squeezed into the short week, we agreed this was the best. Thanks Alexa and The Atlantic Climbing School!

4  Thank MichaelChristian

Reviewed August 23, 2012

With Hannah as our guide, our adventurous climb occurred at Otter Cliffs. We began with a safety and procedure lesson and got climbing right away. We were nervous and excited. Hannah's clear and thorough instructions calmed our jitters. We successfully completed three different climbs, each one a little more challenging than the previous one. At each climb Hannah gave advice on how to make each trip successful. We were thrilled with the adventure, the views were breath taking and the excitiment exhilarating. WOW. A must do activity when in Bar Harbour.

1  Thank Kkblair
Reviewed August 22, 2012

This was perfect for getting a feel for rock climbing. Alexa was the instructor for our family of 2 adults and 3 kids (12,11,10). We did 3 courses, each successively harder. She was fantastic with questions from the kids. The experience was a great introduction and both challenging and fun.

Reviewed August 22, 2012

Our day on the rocks with guide Ansel was fantastic. He was super friendly and knowledgeable, and picked climbs that were challenging enough to be fun/interesting, but not so hard that we couldn't do them. Of course, there were times when we THOUGHT we couldn't do them, but his advice and encouragement got us through and left us feeling like exhilarated, exhausted, climbing rock stars.

We started the day at South Bubble, which had more of the technical kind of climbing I'd seen in the past - flatter surfaces and more little crevices to work with, rather than big chunky rocks like in a gym. The views were amazing, but there wasn't a lot of air movement on the ground so it was pretty warm. This is definitely the place to start rather than end the day if it's going to be at all hot out.

We then moved on to Otter Cliffs which had a great breeze to keep it cool in the afternoon and a totally different kind of climbing. Here again, our guide did a great job of picking the right climbs for us making sure we felt safe and supported throughout.

My one complaint is that the chalk bag they provided for me was reeeeally low on chalk and I wasn't able to get enough on my hands to really hold the rocks. I ended up having to use my boyfriend's chalk, which was fine, but if he hadn't had his own chalk, it would have been a real problem. Suggest checking that your chalk bag is good and chalky before you head out.

Other than that, it was a flawless day. In addition to having a fun and challenging time, we told the folks at Atlantic Climbing School that we were interested in learning a little more about top-roping and the basics of outdoor climbs. Ansel did a great job of blending instruction with recreation and we walked away feeling like we knew more - both about climbing and our own abilities - than when we started the day. All in all, a really amazing experience.

Reviewed August 21, 2012

Excellent experience!
Atlantic Climbing school has an extremely friendly and professional crew of instructor. They will take you to some great clims with spectacular views, no matter your skill level.
Both their locations are great to check out but if you only have time for one Arcadia is the most senic of the two.