“It does not get much better than this...”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Bar Harbor
Bar Harbor Campground
Reviewed September 4, 2010

In crossing the US by bicycle I have slept in many many camp grounds and so would consider myself reasonable literate in what counts or the seasoned traveller and what doesn't.

The Bar Harbour Campground is excellent on many levels. First off, reception is excellent, via phone and by visit. The office is clean and pleasant and business like with friendly staff too. They did not accept plastic, but there was an ATM in the office so no real problem there - one mark off for not accepting plastic in the US.

The site itself, for a 2 man tent and bicycle was perfect. There was a choice of locations for a very modest fee and I went for a spot neat the bathrooms. Full marks.

The wash rooms (mens) were spotlessly clean and very hygienic throughout, both lavatories, sinks and showers. The floors are resin coated and also very clean - no grime. The showers used a 25 cent coin op to run for 5 minutes and the water pressure was exceptional. The hot water was very very hot and fully adjustable - no shortage here. In short, excellent. I will deduct one mark for coin op showers instead of timer operated showers here - shame really as the toilets and shower configuration were exemplary.

There are proper washing up sinks for cutlery and the like and a trash unit nearby for refuse. The noise levels are quiet and all in all it is a very very high standard site.

I did switch on my laptop to see if there was wifi at the tent (like there would be - ever!!) and I nearly collapsed when I saw there was, which makes this site practically unique amongst American sites.

In short, an excellent short or long term stopover, very highly recommended because all the basic details are there - hygiene, cleanliness, site quality, staffing, and wifi - the basics done very well.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled solo
4  Thank Morgan_in_America

Reviewed September 1, 2010

Cash only! Posted only when you get there. No mention of it on the web site, Camp brochure or in Phone conversations. Quite a shock upon arrival. My first question of "You don't take credit cards?" was greeted with, "If you don't like it there are other campsites in the area that will". It was late and we didn't have the option. I never mentioned it again yet this extremely rude older woman was brusk through the rest of the transaction. She was very loud and abusive and repeated the same quote 2 more times. We stayed, determined not to have our 1st experience to Maine be a bad one. I was concerned for my family the entire stay and did not tell management until we left. No compensation was made for our embarressment. Management stands behind this behavior. Do not go to this campsite.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled with family
11  Thank ClaireE_10
Reviewed August 27, 2010

We were there in early August and arrived before noon as it's a first-come, first-serve basis and we wanted to find a good spot. All the water view tent sites were taken so we picked a tent site under the trees, which turned out to be pretty nice. The site was close (but not too close!) to the bathroom and we did not have any problem with the bathroom as it seemed clean and well stocked with toilet paper and paper towels. Showers are a quarter for 5 mins. The campground price is more than what we are used to paying for a camp site but comparable to other campgrounds on the island. It's conveniently located to Arcadia National Park entrances and the town of Bar Harbor. The campground was full by the weekend. We plan to go back next year.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 25, 2010

My wife and puppy have been camping here for the last 9 years. What a great family campground.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank WayneDella
Reviewed September 4, 2008

My friends and I had a good experience at this campground. 1 caveat, we only stayed there for 1 night just to save some money rather than staying the whole time in the hotel. Below are some tips.

1) No advance reservation. It is first come first serve. I called the day before to check if they had any rooms. They had plenty of room for tent camping, no room for RV parking.

2) Arrived close to 8pm (front desk close at 9). Front desk was very helpful.

3) How it works? Front desk can let you know what is still available and explain the location, etc. You then drive around the park and checked out the campsites he/she pointed out as still available. You should then set up your tent then come back to the front desk to pay. The one with the ocean view were all taken. Besides, if you have a tent you don't want to stay there anyway since you will be surrounded by RVs.

4) We picked a campsite underneath the trees rather than exposed in the open. Luckily, we picked a campsite that is far from other campers except the one to our right. They were about 20 feet away and only a few little trees separated us. Let me put it this way, I had a 3 second stare with our neighbors in the AM.

5) We picked a campsite with water & electricty hookup, and a place to start a fire, total $37.

6) Firewood at the campsite cost 4 dollars, which should last you about 2 to 3 hours. Grab some newspapers at the front desk and use that to start the fire.

7) Place is about 10 minutes to Bar Harbor & Acadia National Park.

8) Bathrooms were clean and there were several around the campsites. It was about 50 yards away.

9) Shower is a quarter for 5 minutes and it was clean also.

10) The people that stayed there were very family-oriented and friendly. We felt safe & comfortable.

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled as a couple
2  Thank RRTraveler101
Reviewed June 23, 2008

This place is AMAZING! It is a huge part of my life. I have been going here every 4th of July from the time I was 2 years old. This year my son will be 2 and it is his second year! Everyone who works here is WONDERFUL! I got maried here last year and they went out of their way to make it easy for us. They are clean, kind, the place is pretty and I have never had a problem with bugs biting here. The bathrooms are big and easy to get too. They also allow pets, to make things easier. The BIG mini-golf course is right across the road, they have a trail to get there. It is VERY kid friendly, they are sticklers to the speed limit, and they dont mind if you color and play on the road. If you know where to go there is also a trail to the ocean. This campground is awesome, and I can't wait to go in less than 2 weeks.

• Stayed: July 2007
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank valmb2
Reviewed May 17, 2008

I have been trying to go another camp ground every after the first year,but my kids always vote this campground back only because it has PAVED roads for bikes. There are not enough bathrooms and dishwashing stations. For their size they DO NOT have enough laundry area it should be DOUBLE the size. The pool area DOESN'T have enough seating for a hot busy day. I also think the playground is WAY below standard. They pride themselves on being family oriented but yet 90% of people using it seem to grumpy old people wanting QUIET QUIET!! HELLO it is camping,if you want quiet GO TO A HOTEL!!! They have rule that make it so they can kick people out for making other mad,so if the person on the site next to you doesn't like you they can complain over and over and U will be asked to leave. They need to rent the sites take the money and put a sign up front that say this campground is FOR FAMILIES of ALL sizes and PLEASE if you expect EXTREME quiet DO NOT take a site here. I can see rowdy people but the way the police the place is a little over the top for a FAMILY campground. The only plus I see other than paved roads for familes is the size of the sites and how far apart they are from the next,except on the hill with the ocean views. They also have WAY to many no electric sites so sometimes you have to fight to get a site for a camper because so many people camp with tents and use electric sites and there are NONE left for camper,so I am SURE they loose A LOT of business because of this. They need to limit usage of camper sites by tents unless they are like us and rent 2 sites together one for tenting parking visitor vehicles and one for camper. We have a huge family and we also pay extra for this on our camping bill every day, so why do they say they are so family friendly. They alos have no kid type activites set up for fun like 99% of all the other local campgrounds, but their size is what sells them I guess and the paved roads is what sells my kids. I hate the hassle of the military guard style security they higher and waiting in lines for hours waiting to wash clothes and dishes,plus driving to the bathrooms unless U are lucky to find a close enough site to one of the 3 bathrooms they have for the WHOLE camp ground!!!

• Stayed: July 2007, traveled with family
2  Thank Wavin2Ya
Management response:Responded April 6, 2017

We are sorry that you did not enjoy your stay. We try to keep everyone safe and enforce our quiet hours. The playground has been upgraded as you can see on our website. We have only a few weeks when the town is so busy that we are to maximum capacity. The end of July, and the first two weeks of August are very busy. We try very hard to keep our family business up to standards. I hope you will come back and enjoy your stay.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Bar Harbor
#9 of 42 in Bar Harbor
Bar Harbor Grand Hotel
Bar Harbor Grand Hotel
#5 of 42 in Bar Harbor

Been to Bar Harbor Campground? Share your experiences!