“If you want camping, don't go here.”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Bar Harbor
Bar Harbor Campground
Belchertown, Massachusetts
“If you want camping, don't go here.”
Reviewed August 2, 2013

This "campground" is more of a place that offers small plots of ground to pitch a tent (or park your RV). When you arrive, you drive around for about 20 minutes trying to find the most secluded spot, which you will not find. Then, you (over) pay for the small, non-secluded spot that you settled with. All of the sites are right up against each other. The tent sites that you are told are "heavily wooded", are not. They are right by the main road, where you can hear the screams from a mini-golf course all day until nearly 11 at night. The RV sites and anything with an ocean view are wide open, so be sure to use your tent's fly, even if it's not raining, so you can change and sleep without onlookers.

Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Lgalesi
, Manager at Bar Harbor Campground, responded to this review, April 6, 2017
I am sorry your stay was unpleasant. We do the best we can to make our campers enjoy their stay. July and August are very busy in the area. Thank you for your input.

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
Merrimack, New Hampshire, United States
Reviewed July 31, 2013

This was our second visit to Bar Harbor Campground. There are several nice sites to choose from. Bathrooms are convenient and clean although they seemed a bit nicer during our stay last year. (I know it is camping but there were a lot of cobwebs that could have been easily removed). I like that they don't take reservations. Wifi was fine. Close to Bar Harbor and Acadia National Park so I appreciate that it is low/fair price campground with basic amenities. Sites are nicely spread apart. Great pool on site with a very nice view. Good laundry facilities. Staff is friendly. We will definitely go back.

pittsburgh
Reviewed July 29, 2013

After a very long journey, arrived at Bar Harbor Campground and took two spins through to find our ideal site. Chose a shady, level area without hook-ups. We are a family with 4 kids, ages 8-17 and were on Mt. Desert Island to get in some hiking and fresh air. Front desk staff were very nice and we had no trouble finding a spot even on a very busy summer weekend.
Bathrooms were clean and well maintained. (Tip: Keep your "bathroom bucket" in the car, so when you return from evening activities, you can stop at bathhouse on the way and avoid having kids walk back and forth in the dark.)
The views from the playground were awesome, be sure to get up early for sunrise! (And pick your blueberries for pancakes!)
Very quiet, only awoken by the frogs in the pond!
Water, that tasted pretty good, was surprisingly close to site. (We borrowed some electric from neighboring site to fill air mattresses.)
Laundry machines were in good working order, and a SO appreciated after a rainy day! ($1.00/cycle- change machine in laundry room.)
Location, very convenient to town, Acadia, activities back toward Trenton/Ellsworth. Hanneford's Grocery in Bar Harbor had much better pricing and selection than the IGA on the way in. Notes some of the other campgrounds we considered while traveling around and were really happy with our choice.

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Reviewed July 29, 2013

We stayed here one night last week. We had planned on staying two or three nights, but the weather didn't cooperate. To say that I'm a "fair-weather camper" would be generous... but, this place was really nice. The bathrooms and showers were clean and conveniently located throughout the grounds, and they offered additional amenities that seemed nice. This is a family park, and so quiet hours are strictly enforced, and universally respected. The place seemed nearly full and bustled with activity during the day, but after 10:00, my husband and I could have been the only two people there. It was very peaceful.

My only *very small* gripe is that the people working at the counter (the owners, maybe?) seemed a little more cranky than they needed to be. They were efficient, but not particularly willing to answer our questions, and a friendly smile was completely out of the question.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 29, 2013

This campground is ok nothing special about it, we chose this campground because it says that it is the cleanest campground including bathrooms but its not what we expected, although the surrounding s are clean but the bathrooms and showers are not very and they are outdated. They advertised that it has free wifi, we were happy about it because me and my husband are computer nuts but we're disappointed, there's only a certain spots that has wifi, and unfortunately the spot we chose there is nothing! we tried to go to other spot and park our car so we can use wifi but its just useless wifi is very slow we just wasted a good 2 hour. I felt that we were deceived they should advertised what they can offer and not what they don't.

• Stayed July 2013
1 Thank Charliebaby09
Hanover, Massachusetts
Reviewed July 25, 2013

I originally had reservations with a campground who will remained unnamed because they treated me fairly. The site at the other campground did not work for us after traveling six hours to get here. You can imagine how disappointed my family was when we arrived. After gathering myself, I remembered the Bar Harbor Campground from my research. In a panic, had my son ask for directions on his iPhone and it lead us improperly down a dead end in which I had to back into State Highway 3. Nevertheless, we found our way to Bar Harbor Campground. As we arrived, the staff was extremely helpful. One of the staff "ground crew" informed me that a full hookup site had just become available and directed me to the site. Because it was a 50 amp service, the site was an additional $2. I had five in my party so it was an additional $1 for a total fee of $45 a night. Even though it is cash only, you can pay for a night at a time, so you have time to access an ATM to pay for your entire stay.

When I began setting up, the same "ground crew" staff member offered to get me a plank to help level my camper and was back within minutes which was extremely helpful. The staff continued to drive through the campsite for recently vacated sites to clean the fire pits and do an other required maintenance.

Everything about the campground is great from the friendly staff to the clean facilities. Did not have to use the bathroom facilities except a time or two, but were clean and modern enough.

The campground is quite and very family friendly. It is convenient to Acadia which is the attraction to Bar Harbor and as advertised, is the closest campground to Acadia. If you are planning to see Acadia and Bar Harbor (which are the only two activities to do up here), this is the best location at half the price of other campgrounds. Throughout my stay in the last week of July, there were vacancies at all different types of sites. Plus if you cannot get a site here, most of the other "reservation" campgrounds had vacancies as well (except KOA at over twice the price).

I too had reservations about not be able to reserve a spot at a campground. I initially didn't take the risk, but circumstances and luck eventually got me to Bar Harbor Campgrounds. I stayed one day short for the free 7th day, because we wanted to see more attractions on the way home and booked with another campground halfway home. If you can come midweek, I think it would be best based on the number of vacancies throughout the week. Give the staff a call and they can give you better information, but they have to be as non committal as possible in case there are no vacancies. The lower camp sites closer to the gate are quieter and the ones closer to the pool have more families. I stayed at the lower camp site and my kids rode their bikes to the pool. Happy Camping!

2 Thank Ed L
massachusetts
Reviewed July 15, 2013

The campground was ok. I felt that the sites were not very private though we camp quite a bit and tend to appreciate the more remote wooded places. The staff was very friendly. The location was a bit further from downtown and the park than I thought it would be, but there was a shuttle available if you did not want to drive. All and all an ok place to camp.

• Stayed July 2013
#3 of 41 in Bar Harbor
Atlantic Oceanside Hotel and Event Center
Holiday Inn Bar Harbor Regency
Narrows Too Camping Resort

Been to Bar Harbor Campground? Share your experiences!