“Unexpected pleasure”
Review of Lulu Lobster Boat

Lulu Lobster Boat
Reviewed August 26, 2013

This was part of a cruise boat package that barely appealed to us, billed as a wildlife cruise tour. We went outside the harbor several miles and stopped to observe a large colony of seals ashore on rocks, two types actually, but mostly harbor seals. This was on a rocky island with a picturesque light house on it. The bonus was sighting a pair of mature Bald Eagles perched on the lighthouse.
On the way back we stopped for a demonstration by the skipper of lobstering. He pulled up a trap with 4 live lobsters and gave an excellent 45 minute presentation about lobster fishing. The presentation was intelligent and informative, yet suitable for all ages. This was worth the price of admission!

All reviews
in 8 reviews
"great for kids"
in 10 reviews

Reviewed August 25, 2013

Lulu Lobster Boat was one of the highlights of our trip. Not only is the captain amazingly knowledgeable, but he is just so entertaining. I just found it so amazing that he hasn't lost his enthusiasm after doing this for many years, 3-4 times a day.

If you suffer from motion sickness, the captain will hand you a set of pressure point bracelets that worked wonder for us. So there's no need to panic if you didn't bring your own medicine. But if you still prefer more traditional over the counter medication, there's a Rite Aid nearby that opens at 8 am.

Our trip started with a ride out to seal habitat where we got to see many seals swimming near by bed of rocks that get exposed during low tides. We also rode right by an unmanned light house where the captain gave us a detailed history lesson. Afterward, we went to an area where he pulled up one of his own traps, and gave us all the information we ever wanted to know about lobsters and Maine's conservation effort.

Make this a must stop if you're ever in Bar Harbor.

1  Thank Joe L
Reviewed August 22, 2013

Our innkeepers at the Bass Cottage Inn told us this was the #1 attraction we had to do, and told us how great Captain John was, so we called and made reservations for the 11:45 tour. I cannot express how happy I am that we did this tour. Captain John is a HOOT but he is also extremely knowledgeable about the area, and his "speech" doesn't sound like a speech at all (although he must say the same things over and over it still sounds "fresh"). I understand he speaks French and Mandarin as well. Way cool.

I was impressed that they let you borrow "sea bands" for those prone to motion sickness (like me). Say what you want, but I didn't feel nauseous AT ALL and I credit those sea bands.

The thing I liked most was how fun he kept it for the kids on board. He made sure each one of them felt included and got an up-close look of the lobsters when he brought them on board. I have not been on many "educational" tours where the kids were actually laughing. And in this case, the adults were too. His quick wit is endearing to all ages. If you have kids, take them on THIS TOUR, and you will be the coolest mom and dad EVER. My son is 16, and you can imagine kind of finicky, and he even loved it!

As the boat heads out on the water he starts talking about the area and the ins and outs of "lobstering" (lobster fishing) - then he will start to talk about seals, and it's because you are on your way to see them. The seals were my favorite part! Egg Rock Lighthouse is next and you will get a nice bit of history about it and lighthouses in general. We got lucky to see not one but 3 bald eagles.

One note: no matter where you are sitting on the boat you will have a great seat. But if you sit along the side near the open windows it is easier to take pictures! Get there earlier so you have a choice. The last people on board filled in the middle portion of the boat. I was glad to have a "window seat".

You will leave this tour with a deep understanding of All Things Lobster and have a nice couple of laughs to brighten your day. If you are in Bar Harbor with or without kids, you need to take this tour. It's worth the hype!

Reviewed August 21, 2013

We took the 6:30P.M. lobster boat. The sunset was beautiful and it was the perfect night. The captain of the boat was AMAZING! He was so knowledgeable about lobsters! The captain kept all of the kids on the boat involved. It was simply wonderful!! He also made sure that we were able to take the best possible pictures of seals and a beautiful lighthouse.

It should be noted that my mom is having difficulty with her knee and is unable to walk very well. They allowed my mom to board the boat first and even found her a stool to put her feet on so they wouldn't dangle. Their kindness was much appreciated!

Don't miss this wonderful tour!! It is well worth the $30 per person!

See more reviews
Reviewed August 18, 2013

We took the 10:30AM cruise as a couple on 08-17-2013. The young female mate was a bit sour, to say the least. She wore the black cut up shorts and seemed to be a generally unhappy individual. The boat captain and lobster specialist was OUTSTANDING!!!! This was an outstanding experience. We were educated in many areas, bald eagles, seals, black birds native to the Bar Harbor area and of course lobsters. This individual has a dry, very wonderful sense of humor. We were VERY PLEASANTLY SURPRISED as to how much knowledge was shared on this two hour cruise. We were NOT part of the cruise boat group. Thank you captain!!!! Please consider finding another mate that is not so unhappy. (this is NOT the lady with the dog that books the trips).