“GREAT for kids...of ALL ages! You will learn so much!”
Review of Lulu Lobster Boat

Lulu Lobster Boat
Lebanon, PA
9 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 101 helpful votes
“GREAT for kids...of ALL ages! You will learn so much!”
Reviewed August 22, 2013

Our innkeepers at the Bass Cottage Inn told us this was the #1 attraction we had to do, and told us how great Captain John was, so we called and made reservations for the 11:45 tour. I cannot express how happy I am that we did this tour. Captain John is a HOOT but he is also extremely knowledgeable about the area, and his "speech" doesn't sound like a speech at all (although he must say the same things over and over it still sounds "fresh"). I understand he speaks French and Mandarin as well. Way cool.

I was impressed that they let you borrow "sea bands" for those prone to motion sickness (like me). Say what you want, but I didn't feel nauseous AT ALL and I credit those sea bands.

The thing I liked most was how fun he kept it for the kids on board. He made sure each one of them felt included and got an up-close look of the lobsters when he brought them on board. I have not been on many "educational" tours where the kids were actually laughing. And in this case, the adults were too. His quick wit is endearing to all ages. If you have kids, take them on THIS TOUR, and you will be the coolest mom and dad EVER. My son is 16, and you can imagine kind of finicky, and he even loved it!

As the boat heads out on the water he starts talking about the area and the ins and outs of "lobstering" (lobster fishing) - then he will start to talk about seals, and it's because you are on your way to see them. The seals were my favorite part! Egg Rock Lighthouse is next and you will get a nice bit of history about it and lighthouses in general. We got lucky to see not one but 3 bald eagles.

One note: no matter where you are sitting on the boat you will have a great seat. But if you sit along the side near the open windows it is easier to take pictures! Get there earlier so you have a choice. The last people on board filled in the middle portion of the boat. I was glad to have a "window seat".

You will leave this tour with a deep understanding of All Things Lobster and have a nice couple of laughs to brighten your day. If you are in Bar Harbor with or without kids, you need to take this tour. It's worth the hype!

Allentown
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 13 helpful votes
“A Must Do in Bar Harbor”
Reviewed August 21, 2013

We took the 6:30P.M. lobster boat. The sunset was beautiful and it was the perfect night. The captain of the boat was AMAZING! He was so knowledgeable about lobsters! The captain kept all of the kids on the boat involved. It was simply wonderful!! He also made sure that we were able to take the best possible pictures of seals and a beautiful lighthouse.

It should be noted that my mom is having difficulty with her knee and is unable to walk very well. They allowed my mom to board the boat first and even found her a stool to put her feet on so they wouldn't dangle. Their kindness was much appreciated!

Don't miss this wonderful tour!! It is well worth the $30 per person!

Washington DC, District of Columbia
22 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 52 helpful votes
“Informative, Interesting, Very Rewarding”
Reviewed August 18, 2013

We took the 10:30AM cruise as a couple on 08-17-2013. The young female mate was a bit sour, to say the least. She wore the black cut up shorts and seemed to be a generally unhappy individual. The boat captain and lobster specialist was OUTSTANDING!!!! This was an outstanding experience. We were educated in many areas, bald eagles, seals, black birds native to the Bar Harbor area and of course lobsters. This individual has a dry, very wonderful sense of humor. We were VERY PLEASANTLY SURPRISED as to how much knowledge was shared on this two hour cruise. We were NOT part of the cruise boat group. Thank you captain!!!! Please consider finding another mate that is not so unhappy. (this is NOT the lady with the dog that books the trips).

Cedar Rapids, Iowa
8 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 14 helpful votes
“don't miss this one!”
Reviewed August 18, 2013

My husband and teenage son were able to take a “Lulu’s Lobster Boat” tour during a recent stay in Bar Harbor. Listen up folks, this is not to be missed. You will walk away with great tour of the harbor and more than you ever thought there was to know about lobster fishing, lobsters, the regulations that this industry faces and why it has kept Maine’s lobster business healthy and prosperous. If that sounds boring to you it is because I can’t do justice to how enjoyable of an experience it was in a simple paragraph. You will walk off that boat and be proud to have met Captain John and his crew. Captain John is as unpretentious as they come, but let me tell you that he is a very smart, very eco-concious, caring, engaging, enjoyable person that just so happens to run a lobster boat. It doesn’t take long to identify how passionate he is about his business and how proactive he is about maintaining a healthy lobster climate in Maine.

Ohio
86 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 184 helpful votes
“This Is A "Must Do" Tour In Bar Harbor”
Reviewed August 17, 2013

I was in Bar Harbor for the day on a cruise ship stop. I tried to book this trip on a previous cruise ship visit while in port; however, it was sold out. This time I called in advance and booked over the phone. I had to pay in advance, but was told if the ship is unable to stop there I would get a full refund. I got the senior discount and it was $30 per person. The cruise ship Holland America Veendam sold the same exact tour for $56 per person. It is locally owned one boat operation and we were all on the same boat. The tour is basically a 2 hour class in "Lobster Fishing 101". The Captain is an active lobster fisherman; however now instead of maintaining hundreds of traps and catching/selling lobsters for a profit, he now just runs a tourist tour (maintains a few dozen traps and releases what he catches, etc.).He also does some research relating to different lobster bates for a local college. He explains all about lobster fishing and the lobster; etc. He also goes to a nearby island to view the wildlife (seals, bald eagles, and other birds, etc.) as well as a local lighthouse. He has an outstanding presentation and a great sense of humor. The boats hold about 35 guests and has ample seating, i.e. nobody felt crowded. The ship's PA system works great. He walks around the boat with the lobsters so everyone sees the lobsters "close up".They also offer the complimentary use of binoculars and wrist "sea bands"" (if you are subject to motion sickness). The complimentary drinks included Coke Zero, Diet Coke, Creme Soda, and bottled water. In case you wondered, I think the boat did have a bathroom: however, I don't think it you would want it use it. This is a lobster boat. This was a fantastic 2 hour boat tour of the harbor area in Bar Harbor.