“Best KOA I've seen”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Bar Harbor
Bar Harbor Campground KOA
Reviewed September 29, 2010

I loved this camping trip. Although I do actually camp and always hesitate to call sleeping at a KOA "camping," I couldn't have had a better experience. My tent-site was right by the water. At night I made a fire, toasted marshmallows, wrote in my journal, and fell asleep to the sound of loons. Had the best night's sleep I had had in a long time. Woke up to the sound of seals, made another reservation for that night, and explored Acadia National Park.

Perks from my stay: Very friendly staff, firewood and other supplies available on-site for a small fee, free pancake breakfast the Saturday morning I was there, short walk to the rest-rooms, and a beautiful spot for watching the sunset. I'm not sure I would have enjoyed my visit as much if the campground was more crowded, but on my second night I fell asleep to the salty sea-breeze blowing through my tent and the full moon shining on my face. Amazing.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled solo
2  Thank AnnoftheWorld

Reviewed April 12, 2010

"We spent 2 weeks at the Bar Harbor KOA on a $75 full hook-up 50 amp site. The work camper parked us in the wrong site to start with. Several days later, the campground noticed the mistake and informed us we had to move over two sites to the correct site. There was no apology given either by the manager (who kept saying "" I am always right- the one thing I know is that I am always right) or the work camper. We moved over two sites and we were polite about it. The next day the same work camper mowed half of our site, then took out the weed wacker and wacked a huge hole in our prest-0-fit sewer elbow connector. WE saw him standing in a dead stare at it and opened our window and asked if all was ok...he answered ""I think I broke it""...Well, a huge hole in a plastic sewer fitting qualifies as ""yes, you broke it"". He took off and never returned. After going on line and researching the product, we printed out a list of places in Maine that it could be purchased and went to see the manager. He also never gave an apology and asked us to find one ourselves and he would pay for it. Nice, huh? We told him, that it was HIS responsibility to find and secure the part. Not happy about this, he said he would ""work on it"". 5 days later, the manager came to our site with the part...again, no apology what so ever...""Here it is, I hope all things come out OK"" and with a sneer, he left. We had 13 days of no rain and the 14th day it rained over nite. The prime $75 full hook up pull-thru sites were under 4"" of water and that includes the power pole. The sites around us were so bad that items floated out from under the 5th wheels. Every one around us was flooded...and this was not a bad rain....the lack of gravel and the tall grass (he never finished mowing our site and half of it was had 5"" glass) did not help. The manager said he would have some one come out with a sump pump to pump out the lot so we could cut the power.. (We hear last year when a tropical storm hit they had to pump water out of these same sites...they never improved the sites) ..after one hour, no one came to help us yet work campers buzzed all over in their carts, doing what seemed like nothing but buzzing all over. We were able to put on high sided boots and cut the power and remove the water logged and coated sewer, water and power lines and the pads from under our rig. (YOu need pads if you have a big rig or your jacks will sink and bog down into the messy sites and they will be forever lost). The mosquitoes here all over and a daily problem.....most larger rigs have their front wheels jacked up 8-12"" in the air....Yes, the front row is on the water and yes for smaller units, 5th wheels, pop-ups, trailers, this would be ideal camping....BUT if you camp like we do- retired, 4-5 months in the summer on the road- 40' or larger Class A....then find another campground in the area...several are there and they are cheaper and have the same features. Poor service, lack of management, and terrible full hook up sites- best way to describe this place. This campground has had done no improvement since our last visit in 2006-Beware big rig looking for a full hook up-People let their dogs run free and mess up without them picking up...no dog limit..camper next to us had 6 large dogs. Violations of the campground rules were all over and the work campers turned a blind eye to them. After all, as the manager said: People pay me $25 extra to reserve their exact site.that seemed to be his major concern....we did not pay the extra charge ..we never found that in the rules...this cash cow needs to be free of big rigs...sorry

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled as a couple
11  Thank Polly B
Reviewed October 1, 2009

We stayed four nights at the Bar Harbor KOA in August, mainly because every other campground we contacted was full. First the good things - the bathrooms were very clean and never crowded despite the fact that the campground was full; also the staff was overall friendly and helpful. The negatives - it's quite expensive for sleeping on the ground; it's very close to Route 3 and you will hear traffic noises day and night; the on-site shop is overpriced - they charge $6 for a bundle of wood when you could find wood for $2 to $3 all over the island; the pool was at another site several miles from ours and the water was hot and felt almost slimy; the sites are very, very close together; it's nice that it's near the water but "Pebble Beach" should really be called "Large razor-sharp rock shard beach" - it is small and unwalkable, even in shoes! Your response to this place will depend on how much wilderness you want in your camping. I found the RV field near the water appalling with long ranks of huge and ugly RVs blotting out any semblance that you were in a natural setting. If you camp to get away from civilization this isn't the place for you. Or me!

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled with family
3  Thank AnnieMagee
Reviewed September 3, 2009

Our 7-day stay was spoiled within 30 mins of our arrival at an awesome waterfront site. As we were unloading our extended-length van (which we tow behind our motorhome), the manager arrived on site and asserted that we couldn't leave our van parked at the edge of our site as it might impede big rigs. We answered that we were cognizant of that and explained that we were about to move it, that we'd already inquired at the office where they'd like us to park it. Rather than acknowledging that we'd done all that any reasonable person should expect, he went on to elaborate, displaying an aggressive and unwelcoming demeanor, again asking how soon we'd move it, and then questioning whether anyone would be "camping" in the van, since he'd observed blankets inside the vehicle (we explained that mover's pads were protecting furniture inside the van, which was full from floor to roof, assuredly leavinig no room for stowaways).

In our view his opening remarks should have been a sincere and genuine welcome, followed by a polite inquiry regarding the offending second vehicle. Once given a reasonable explanation, he should have thanked us for initiating relocation of the vehicle, and he then should have promptly excused himself with some salutory expression of hope that we enjoy our stay and an invitation to stop by the office if we found anything wanting.

Another chance encounter with manager Ron seemed hardly desireable, so we took a pass on requesting that the lawn at our site be mowed -- a job obviously not done for days before check-in, nor during our stay.

He gets a well-deserved "F" in customer/hospitality relations !!!

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled as a couple
4  Thank mainelyrving
Reviewed August 13, 2009

We stayed in a kamping lodge and it is adorible and it is nice and clean but corters are a little bit tight for 5. the staff here is really nice and the views of the ocean are breath taking. the only problem with the kamping lodges are that you can see and hear route 3 (very busy road) but the rest of the camp ground is nice. the rooms had no cable but when your camping you dont need cable just have a nice fire in the fire pit in front of your cabin or camp site. this is a nice campground and i would love to come back!!! Also the campground is somewhat convienet to acadia and they have a shuttle to the park which is so convienet

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled with family
1  Thank Mkane95
Reviewed August 12, 2009

We absolutely loved this place. Full disclosure: This was our first camping experience,(as adults) and we didn't even stay in a tent, we rented one of their Airstreams & one of their cabins. The location on the water was fantastic. I was abit apprehensive at first as I thought with young kids it would be dangerous being on the water, but they had a blast. At low tide we would go on the rocks and make stone statues and skip rocks, they loved it. There are several activities during the days to keep the kids busy, though we were not able to participate in any of them. They have a small cafe, where they show movies at night, and serve breakfast on weekends. A small playground, small store (with your usual overpriced sundries!). One thing I thought was odd was that their showers were co-ed. I don't know if this is common. I remember the KOA I went to as a child, they had seperate showers for men & women. Even so, the showers were clean and satisfactory. The camground also has bike rentals, which I thought was resonable at $5.00 per hour. They aren't your standard bikes & our kids had fun trying to manuver them. The sites are close to each other. As I mentioned, we had two side by side, so we didn't mind, but I could see how I would have felt awkward had we had strangers next to us. As far a the RV sites, they also looked quite close. While I don't have a reference point, I can't imagine being happy in any of the sites I saw. I think the location of our cabin & airstream was actually the best one in the entire park!! I can't speak highly enough about the airstreams. They are in excellent condition. Quite comfortable and perfect for city folk like us who want to experience nature with the comforts of home!! The cabins were also excellent and sufficiently spacious. There is a pizza place across the street that delivers in case, like us, you get back too late one night to start the BBQ. The IGA is about a 7 mile drive. I would repeat this vacation in a heartbeat. It was so wonderful all the way around. What a magical place!!

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled with family
2  Thank mabellaMiami_Fl_
Reviewed August 10, 2009

We love this place. We stayed here over Memorial Day with adult friends and are bringing the kids and grandkids for Labor Day. It has enough activities yet remains quiet enough to really feel and enjoy nature and the changing waterscapes. The pie lady that comes around in the afternoon has the best blueberry pie!!!

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled as a couple
#10 of 41 in Bar Harbor
Bar Harbor Grand Hotel
Bar Harbor Grand Hotel
#5 of 41 in Bar Harbor

Been to Bar Harbor Campground KOA? Share your experiences!