“Great Site, Nasty Manager”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Bar Harbor
Bar Harbor Oceanside KOA
Reviewed September 3, 2009

Our 7-day stay was spoiled within 30 mins of our arrival at an awesome waterfront site. As we were unloading our extended-length van (which we tow behind our motorhome), the manager arrived on site and asserted that we couldn't leave our van parked at the edge of our site as it might impede big rigs. We answered that we were cognizant of that and explained that we were about to move it, that we'd already inquired at the office where they'd like us to park it. Rather than acknowledging that we'd done all that any reasonable person should expect, he went on to elaborate, displaying an aggressive and unwelcoming demeanor, again asking how soon we'd move it, and then questioning whether anyone would be "camping" in the van, since he'd observed blankets inside the vehicle (we explained that mover's pads were protecting furniture inside the van, which was full from floor to roof, assuredly leavinig no room for stowaways).

In our view his opening remarks should have been a sincere and genuine welcome, followed by a polite inquiry regarding the offending second vehicle. Once given a reasonable explanation, he should have thanked us for initiating relocation of the vehicle, and he then should have promptly excused himself with some salutory expression of hope that we enjoy our stay and an invitation to stop by the office if we found anything wanting.

Another chance encounter with manager Ron seemed hardly desireable, so we took a pass on requesting that the lawn at our site be mowed -- a job obviously not done for days before check-in, nor during our stay.

He gets a well-deserved "F" in customer/hospitality relations !!!

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled as a couple
5  Thank mainelyrving

Reviewed August 13, 2009

We stayed in a kamping lodge and it is adorible and it is nice and clean but corters are a little bit tight for 5. the staff here is really nice and the views of the ocean are breath taking. the only problem with the kamping lodges are that you can see and hear route 3 (very busy road) but the rest of the camp ground is nice. the rooms had no cable but when your camping you dont need cable just have a nice fire in the fire pit in front of your cabin or camp site. this is a nice campground and i would love to come back!!! Also the campground is somewhat convienet to acadia and they have a shuttle to the park which is so convienet

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled with family
1  Thank Mkane95
Reviewed August 12, 2009

We absolutely loved this place. Full disclosure: This was our first camping experience,(as adults) and we didn't even stay in a tent, we rented one of their Airstreams & one of their cabins. The location on the water was fantastic. I was abit apprehensive at first as I thought with young kids it would be dangerous being on the water, but they had a blast. At low tide we would go on the rocks and make stone statues and skip rocks, they loved it. There are several activities during the days to keep the kids busy, though we were not able to participate in any of them. They have a small cafe, where they show movies at night, and serve breakfast on weekends. A small playground, small store (with your usual overpriced sundries!). One thing I thought was odd was that their showers were co-ed. I don't know if this is common. I remember the KOA I went to as a child, they had seperate showers for men & women. Even so, the showers were clean and satisfactory. The camground also has bike rentals, which I thought was resonable at $5.00 per hour. They aren't your standard bikes & our kids had fun trying to manuver them. The sites are close to each other. As I mentioned, we had two side by side, so we didn't mind, but I could see how I would have felt awkward had we had strangers next to us. As far a the RV sites, they also looked quite close. While I don't have a reference point, I can't imagine being happy in any of the sites I saw. I think the location of our cabin & airstream was actually the best one in the entire park!! I can't speak highly enough about the airstreams. They are in excellent condition. Quite comfortable and perfect for city folk like us who want to experience nature with the comforts of home!! The cabins were also excellent and sufficiently spacious. There is a pizza place across the street that delivers in case, like us, you get back too late one night to start the BBQ. The IGA is about a 7 mile drive. I would repeat this vacation in a heartbeat. It was so wonderful all the way around. What a magical place!!

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled with family
2  Thank mabellaMiami_Fl_
Reviewed August 10, 2009

We love this place. We stayed here over Memorial Day with adult friends and are bringing the kids and grandkids for Labor Day. It has enough activities yet remains quiet enough to really feel and enjoy nature and the changing waterscapes. The pie lady that comes around in the afternoon has the best blueberry pie!!!

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 22, 2008

My girlfriend and I stayed at the Bar Harbor KOA on Aug 9, 2008.

For us, this campground was just a place to stay overnight while we were enroute to our final destination.

Acadia National Park is a few miles down the road, so we spent the day before and after touring the national park.

This KOA maintained the same high standards expected of KOA campgrounds. The campground was clean and well marked. The shower and restroom facilities were clean and in good working order. The showers were a little small but acceptable.

We had tent campsite 409 which was near the water but not exactly next to it. We had a reasonable view of the water but had hoped for a campsite near the water's edge on the beach.

The biggest negative for this campground was the closeness of the campsites. Our campsite was hardly 10 feet from the adjacent one. Other campsites were equally close together.

The staff was friendly and courteous. The Sunday morning pancake breakfast for $4 was good. It consisted of 2 large pancakes, sausages, juice, and coffee.

Like hotel chains, you know what to expect from a KOA brand campground. The nightly rate for our tent site was about $55 and is expensive for a campground. Bar Harbor has many more campgrounds, but I do not have any information about them.

The camp store sold firewood for $6 per bundle, but nearby places outside of the campground sold them for $2 to $3 per bundle.

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 11, 2008

Stayed there july 2008 and had a great experience. The staff was friendly and wonderful to deal with. Stayed at the woodlands and the original campground. In the original we stayed at site 405, one of the deluxe tent sites. It is right on the water, possibly the most beautiful campsite I have ever seen.

The price was high ($54) and I would have not paid that much if I didn't have site 405 (the other deluxe sites are not as nice).

The bathrooms and showers are clean. As I mentioned, the cost was high, but it was worth it for us.

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank kennyBNewbrunswick
Reviewed September 7, 2007

This campground was spotless! Bathrooms were the cleanest I've ever seen in a campground. It seemed like workers were always around cleaning up the place. Stayed 3 nights in a tent on a site close to the water--it was really beautiful to sleep to the sound of the water and enjoy the spectaular sunset from our tent. Mornings were a little windy in the tent. A little pricey but a great camping experience

• Stayed: September 2007
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2  Thank djw046
#9 of 42 in Bar Harbor
Bar Harbor Grand Hotel
Bar Harbor Grand Hotel
#5 of 42 in Bar Harbor

Been to Bar Harbor Oceanside KOA? Share your experiences!