“Oceanside KOA”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Bar Harbor
Bar Harbor Campground KOA
Saint John, Canada
“Oceanside KOA”
Reviewed August 19, 2011

We have stayed here in the past and will be back again. The staff is friendly and helpful and the location is tough to beat (right on the water). The tent sites are a bit close to one another but pretty typical. Our site this time was in the 420’s and cost just over $30. We stayed in site 405 previously and I maintain that unless we got 405 I don’t think I would pay the extra for their deluxe sites.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
4 Thank kennyBNewbrunswick

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (35)
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed August 4, 2011

Stayed here in July 2011 for 3nts.

PROS: Our tent campsite had electricity, water and a cooking shelter with light which made things easier than normal tent camping. The sites were big and wooded with gravel pads to pitch your tent. Staff was generally friendly and shower and bathroom facilities were very clean.

CONS: Kinda pricey for what you get. Other than pool, there's not much going on compared to other KOA's we've stayed at and certainly less attractive than the Oceanside campground that is right on the water and a couple of miles up the road. We stayed on a Saturday night where it was quite loud all night from all of the campers and trailers coming and going on gravel rock. Camp store left a lot to be desired and activities facilities were outdated and run down (including pool table, playgrounds, etc). Pool was nice but the heater malfunctioned so it was quite cold (even in July).

Room Tip: For tent campers, ask for site away from path of campers coming in and out
1 Thank victormc
Leominster, Massachusetts
Reviewed August 3, 2011

We stayed in the Woodlands side of the campground with 3 other families. The site we were in (508) was very tight, but the other three sights our group had were larger. In general all the sights were in the smaller side but had decent tree cover. There were many tent campers and most if the tent sites seemed nice. Bathrooms were clean but the complaint from some in our group was that there were no shelves or benches in the showers to hold "stuff". Our group also felt that there weren't enough facilities for the size of the campground. Staff was helpful and they had the typical KOA activities for the kids. Did hear from some in our group that the person in charge of some of the activites was a little cranky. Wifi and pool heater were not working during our stay. Honestly, though, we all primarily used the campground as a place to sleep as we spent most of our time in Acadia or Bar Harbor. We did check out the ocean side section of the KOA. Sites seemed pretty close together and many were in the open. Overall this good place to stay and use as base to explore the area.

• Stayed July 2011
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed July 9, 2011

Although this campground is very clean and cute, our reservation was completely screwed up. We reserved two cabins side by side, we were also told which canins we were reserved for, to look at the campground map, and how we would really like the cabins because they were off by themselves, but when we got here they were not side by side, customer service was sweet but with a sorry we just can't help you.

Then when we were told about a tee shirt tie die activity starting "from" 230 pm. The kids got all excited, we all talked about which colors we were going to get while we unpacked but when we showed up at 345, we were told sorry its over it was at 330. We said we just
checkednin and the sign says from 230 they simply said well it ended at 330. Of course there was no notice of it ending at 330 itmjustmsaid "from 230". So we just walked away once again disappointed. we have 3 more nights here. . . Hopefully they will not be as disappointing as them first two hours here!

Boston, MA
Reviewed July 6, 2011

Spent five days at the Woodland site, per the encouragement of the the kind woman who booked my site. I was filled with regret when I drove by the Oceanside site on Rt 3, however these feelings were alleviated as soon as I saw our spacious, tree-covered site.

First of all, the staff were ridiculously friendly. Everytime a yellow-shirt wearing staff member drove by the site in a golf cart, they waved, said hello and occasionally stopped. At 11pm, when the large group of rowdy college students came back from the bar drunk and ready for part 2 of their party, they were quickly addressed to be quiet, and subsequently were. Every night, we had a fire, cooked on site, and stared at the wonderous stars. When it rained, we had a second protection from the trees. Our site was also expansive, like 3 in one and we were close to bathrooms, across from water. While we had a pretty wide site, it wasn't very deep and at times, it felt like we were right on top of the road, but thank goodness everyone was friendly.

The bathrooms were clean, and someone always seemed to be cleaning (staff would even take our trash to the dumpster for us). However, being there over a holiday weekend with a full campground, there didn't seem to be enough showers. Teenage girls lined the sinks to put on their gobs of makeup (really, we're camping!). Needless to say, they could stand to build a few more bathrooms.

Yes, the store was overpriced, but that was completely expected and we bought fire wood at the one of millions on the side road who go by the honor system. However, if you do have to make a last minute camp store purchase, they offer to take your purchase to your site. The other bummer was the advertised, "Sunday Sundae Party" which never really said it was free, but the name gave it that impression. When we arrived we were charge $2 for just ice cream or $3 for a Sundae. However, I will give props that the money was donated for charity, just advertise better next time.

7 Thank chara810
Boston
Reviewed September 29, 2010

I loved this camping trip. Although I do actually camp and always hesitate to call sleeping at a KOA "camping," I couldn't have had a better experience. My tent-site was right by the water. At night I made a fire, toasted marshmallows, wrote in my journal, and fell asleep to the sound of loons. Had the best night's sleep I had had in a long time. Woke up to the sound of seals, made another reservation for that night, and explored Acadia National Park.

Perks from my stay: Very friendly staff, firewood and other supplies available on-site for a small fee, free pancake breakfast the Saturday morning I was there, short walk to the rest-rooms, and a beautiful spot for watching the sunset. I'm not sure I would have enjoyed my visit as much if the campground was more crowded, but on my second night I fell asleep to the salty sea-breeze blowing through my tent and the full moon shining on my face. Amazing.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled solo
2 Thank AnnoftheWorld
tampa
Reviewed April 12, 2010

"We spent 2 weeks at the Bar Harbor KOA on a $75 full hook-up 50 amp site. The work camper parked us in the wrong site to start with. Several days later, the campground noticed the mistake and informed us we had to move over two sites to the correct site. There was no apology given either by the manager (who kept saying "" I am always right- the one thing I know is that I am always right) or the work camper. We moved over two sites and we were polite about it. The next day the same work camper mowed half of our site, then took out the weed wacker and wacked a huge hole in our prest-0-fit sewer elbow connector. WE saw him standing in a dead stare at it and opened our window and asked if all was ok...he answered ""I think I broke it""...Well, a huge hole in a plastic sewer fitting qualifies as ""yes, you broke it"". He took off and never returned. After going on line and researching the product, we printed out a list of places in Maine that it could be purchased and went to see the manager. He also never gave an apology and asked us to find one ourselves and he would pay for it. Nice, huh? We told him, that it was HIS responsibility to find and secure the part. Not happy about this, he said he would ""work on it"". 5 days later, the manager came to our site with the part...again, no apology what so ever...""Here it is, I hope all things come out OK"" and with a sneer, he left. We had 13 days of no rain and the 14th day it rained over nite. The prime $75 full hook up pull-thru sites were under 4"" of water and that includes the power pole. The sites around us were so bad that items floated out from under the 5th wheels. Every one around us was flooded...and this was not a bad rain....the lack of gravel and the tall grass (he never finished mowing our site and half of it was had 5"" glass) did not help. The manager said he would have some one come out with a sump pump to pump out the lot so we could cut the power.. (We hear last year when a tropical storm hit they had to pump water out of these same sites...they never improved the sites) ..after one hour, no one came to help us yet work campers buzzed all over in their carts, doing what seemed like nothing but buzzing all over. We were able to put on high sided boots and cut the power and remove the water logged and coated sewer, water and power lines and the pads from under our rig. (YOu need pads if you have a big rig or your jacks will sink and bog down into the messy sites and they will be forever lost). The mosquitoes here all over and a daily problem.....most larger rigs have their front wheels jacked up 8-12"" in the air....Yes, the front row is on the water and yes for smaller units, 5th wheels, pop-ups, trailers, this would be ideal camping....BUT if you camp like we do- retired, 4-5 months in the summer on the road- 40' or larger Class A....then find another campground in the area...several are there and they are cheaper and have the same features. Poor service, lack of management, and terrible full hook up sites- best way to describe this place. This campground has had done no improvement since our last visit in 2006-Beware big rig looking for a full hook up-People let their dogs run free and mess up without them picking up...no dog limit..camper next to us had 6 large dogs. Violations of the campground rules were all over and the work campers turned a blind eye to them. After all, as the manager said: People pay me $25 extra to reserve their exact site.that seemed to be his major concern....we did not pay the extra charge ..we never found that in the rules...this cash cow needs to be free of big rigs...sorry

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple
Narrows Too Camping Resort
Asticou Inn
Asticou Inn
#1 of 2 in Northeast Harbor

Been to Bar Harbor Campground KOA? Share your experiences!