“Great value” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #39 of 41 Hotels in Bar Harbor
Australia
“Great value”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 26, 2008

This is a great value place that is also clean and, when I was there at least, very quiet. Fine for single travellers and couples, perfect as a base. You cannot beat it for price. The rooms are very small and a little creaky at times. They essentially combine to form a large demountable type building and are a bit quaint in that they have fake pine panelling inside and old 70's style photos of maine scenes on the walls. My room had a TV, air con, double bed, clothes racks, free wi fi which worked perfectly and a private bathroom. It was cleaned every day and was spotless at all times. The staff were very friendly and helpful. You can't book online. It is perhaps an 8 minute drive into bar harbour 'downtown'. There is a lobster pound next door and plenty of places to get food within walking distance. I would stay here again without hesitation, get out into Acadia National Park as long as possible during the day and spend some of the savings on the room price on lobster!

• Liked — price, cleanliness, wi fi that works
  • Disliked — small room, no phone, no safe and lock just a key
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled solo
      Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (45)
Connecticut
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 5, 2008

We took a family vacation to Bar Harbor and booked two rooms at the Robbins Motel during Labor Day weekend. Knowing we wouldn't spend a lot of time in the rooms, we didn't think it was worth it to spend top dollar at one of the B&Bs. We found the Robbins Motel on tripadvisor and made reservations based on the many positive reviews. My sister-in-law and I are very tough critics typically staying at Sheratons and Marriotts, but the most important thing to us is cleanliness and to that end, the Robbins delivers. We got what we expected - clean, affordable accommodations.

• Liked — Clean, affordable, pleasant staff
  • Disliked — Road traffic can be noisy
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled with family
MA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 3, 2008

After reading many reviews we were skeptical about staying here - well, we were pleased with our stay.
The property owners were very nice, they keep the property clean, the rooms were clean (cleaner then some 5 start hotels we've stayed at and we pay 250-350/night at those places)
If you are looking for a clean, cheap place to stay, with a bed and a shower then this is the place for you - don't expect room service or any fancy amenities.
We were very happy with our stay and plan on staying there on our next visit to Bar Harbor.

Stayed August 2008
1 Thank PCS22
hugauke
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 27, 2008

My boyfriend and I stayed at Robbins Motel in mid-August. It was very clean, cozy, and inexpensive! The staff was very friendly and helpful, and their dog a sweetheart.

We will definitely stay there again!

• Liked — Clean and affordable.
  • Disliked — Nothing.
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled as a couple
Ireland
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 21, 2008

Last year my husband and I spent a month in New England and this is my worst memory of the whole holiday. After reading the reviews on their own website we actually phoned fron Ireland to book a room. When we got there I was so disapointed but it was already paid for so we stayed. The room was dismall dark and dreary. No sunshine ever gets into it. The motel backs into a wood which keeps the rooms dark but on a lovely summer evening you dont want to sit in a dreary room.It was clean enough but terribly outdated. Let us just say that you get what you pay for.

• Liked — Nothing
  • Disliked — Dreariness
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Firvine
NB
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 2, 2008

If you are coming to town late or you are budget minded, this is the place for you. Very clean, very practical, not huge but fine for $58.00 high season so have no fear, Robin's is here!

• Liked — Inexpensive
  • Disliked — No problems, fine
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled as a couple
Brunswick, Maine
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 31, 2008

Years ago I posted about this motel in the Bar Harbor Forum. I'm guessing that maybe at the time I stayed here it wasn't among the motels listed on Tripadvisor?

Now that I see it's on the Tripadvisor list, I'll add my review for a little more balance.

Hate to sound elitist, but this is a true dive. Just what you'd expect for the incredibly low price. I worried for my safety. I feared that the place would catch on fire or that the door might get busted down by a drunkard and that I'd be found dead the next morning and my mother would come up to Maine to see where I died and say "Omigosh, I can't believe she stayed HERE!"

I am one of those people who hates to spend money on expensive lodging and I'm always pushing the envelope on "budget" lodging.

Every now and then I push too far and regret it and end up staying somewhere that is downright creepy. I go to Bar Harbor a lot, and everytime I pass the Robbins Motel I shiver remembering my night there.

I wouldn't encourage anyone to stay here unless money is the singlemost important concern and all other expectations are very low.

• Liked — Getting out alive the next day!
  • Stayed July 2004, traveled solo