“my dream come true”

and 1 more site!
Shore Path Cottage
Ranked #17 of 29 Bar Harbor B&B and Inns
Reviewed May 10, 2010

I stayed in Roberta's little writer's studio next to her beautiful main house in October 2009. These were two of the best weeks - wonderful guests, incredible host and beautiful location. I will return here every year. Perfect location for a writers' residency.

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled solo

Reviewed November 10, 2009

Cool white linens on the beds and lemon cake and homemade granola on the breakfast table won me over instantly. The quiet and peace of this location and our stay in this interesting house full of art and books were a treat. Its proximity to Acadia National Park can't be beat.

• Stayed: November 2009, traveled with friends
Reviewed November 5, 2009

I am very familiar with the cozy shore path cottage and think that it is sad that folks would find it necessary to write a semi negative review of a place I have fallen in love with. The Shore Path Cottage is unique and special in this age of cookie cutter lodging. When you first investigate the website, you can not help but notice that. In place of a professional photo there is painting of the Shore Path Cottage emiting a charm that seems to call to you. The website proudly states that this B&B has a vegetarian kitchen and I can tell you that the breakfasts are wonderfully delicious and healthy. I understand that I was not the only person who asked for Roberta’s granola recipe. No bacon or sausage or other meats that our doctors are telling us to avoid. Yes, they have no tv or radio but most of us travel with our ipods and lap tops now. Roberta has free wireless and tons of interesting books everywhere. A lot of us watched the Oprah world wide webcast with the author and spiritualist Eckhart Tolle on his book “A New Earth” which suggests that we should have quiet time to connect with what is around us. In the 60’s, they used to tell you to go find yourself.
So, if you want to be able to hear the mood of the ocean and the wind playing in the windchimes go to the ShorePath Cottage like I have. If you want to watch tv instead of connecting with the one you love, you would probable be much happier at a big hotel. The one thing that the previous folks and I agree on, Roberta is a charming hostess. She made a wonderful stay on Mount Desert Island for us and she is a mean cook too. We can not wait to get back.

Stayed: October 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank ekhart
Reviewed November 4, 2009

My wife and I were joined by my 92 year-old mother for a restful weekend visit to Bar Harbor and Acardia National Park in Maine near where I grew up. We settled into the comfortable bedroom on the first floor that had easy access to the living room and dinning room, both of which looked out over the islands in the bay. The B&B is situated right on the old walking path to Bar Harbor village and there is a grand lawn that stretches down to the sea wall. The accommodations were perfect for us since mother enjoyed knitting in the front room looking at the fall colors and angry sea and we walked into town and enjoyed walks along the sea. Breakfast was a joy, with home made breads and granola, yogurt, jams and eggs to order. The Shore Path Cottage is now our home in Bar Harbor, and we can't wait to return.

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled with family
Reviewed November 4, 2009

First a disclaimer: Yes, I honestly do write guidebooks, and have several titles to my credit. In the course of my work I do not review places independently that I otherwise cover for my publishers.

The above notwithstanding, the Shore Path Cottage is a very rare exception. I gladly would tell the world about this gem of a B&B in Bar Harbor!

It is wonderfully unique: It stands as the only accommodation of its kind on the fabled Shore Path, a genuine, late Victorian Era bed and breakfast with unobstructed water views (our room alone had three windows to the ocean, including one from the bath).

From the minute you first walk into the spacious (and toasty warm) parlour, you really are in another world. The owner, Roberta, a longtime resident, author, chef extraordinaire, and one of the most delightful persons you'll ever meet, is attentive to the nth degree. We were greeted with gingerbread cookies, warm scarves and hats (we arrived in late October), a candlelit fireplace, and what was unquestionably the best home made food on the island. Breakfast was superb, and Roberta even packed us lunches for our trip to Schoodic Point!

The rooms are far larger than any you'd ever find at one of the mass-market places, and each is appointed in a very welcoming, period- authentic manner. We stayed in Roberta's Room, and liked it so much we stayed a third night. A huge king-size bed, fresh linen, and a well-stocked library awaited us, as did a mountain of new toiletries, fluffy towels and robes. Falling asleep to the sound of the waves or the rain was so relaxing! It was so comfortable (and romantic) we barely made it out of bed each morning.

All of the regular amenities are here as well: free parking, Wi Fi Internet access, direct oceanfront views, and more. The beauty of the Shore Path Cottage is that you really are made to feel completely at home in a beautiful, intimate environment that is just minutes away from the shops and restaurants and of course, Acadia National Park.

If you want to be penned into cookie-cutter rooms like sheep and pay through the nose for it, there's two monstrous hotels up the road, and if you want to be squeezed into faux B&Bs without a view (let alone the hospitality of Roberta!), there are plenty of those as well. But if you want the very best during your time in Bar Harbor/Mt. Desert Island, the Shore Path Cottage is unquestionably the place to go.

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank 061511c
Reviewed October 28, 2009

Roberta and her Shore Path Cottage made our first bed & breakfast experience memorable. The Victorian house has such artistic and personal touch, it makes you feel like being part of an ongoing family history. Our room has a stunning view of both the meadow and the shore. Roberta's warmth and hospitality are as much impressed as her attention to every detail of the house. We enjoyed the chat with her as well as the delicious breakfast, and a super good chocolate cake at night!

I'm so glad that we chose to stay here.

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 31, 2009

Roberta's Bed and Breakfast is wonderful. What a nice, calm, cozy cottage in a great location. The Shore path cottage is luxurious and comfortable at a good price. My family stayed here for 4 nights, and we had a great time. We recommend this establishment and hope others enjoy it. Be warned - the tasty breakfasts are so good, you might not want to leave. HYB.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled as a couple