All reviews other guests egg salad birds nest private access wrap around porch old house expansive lawn b bs peaceful location breakfast was delicious quiet street helpful owners like coming home r r front lawn every morning in town
Reviewed July 31, 2006

I spent 7 days in July, 2006 at this lovely and quaint bed and breakfast in Bar Harbor, Maine. The cottage is truly that - I felt like I had gone back in time to the days when cottages were the norm on this island. The cottage sits near the end of a dead end street; facing Frenchman's Bay, where one can sit and watch lobstermen pull in their traps while reading a literary classic (all available on the many book shelves throughout this lovely old house) and sipping some lemonade in the late afternoon OR gather some newfound friends together for a game of badminton or croquet on the front lawn that meanders down towards the shore path and the water OR play the grand piano that sits in the parlor OR nap on the comfortable bed in your room while ocean breezes stream in through the open windows of your room. The rooms are lovely with wood floors and wood ceilings, art work and books - most with views of the ocean. The history of the house and the people who have inhabited it over the years is evident everywhere. There are no TVs or phones or clocks - so if you are looking for lodging that keeps you connected to the rest of the frenetic world and/or has a myriad of amenities and cushy furnishings, this is not the place for you. If you are interested in some quiet time, watching wildlife and hearing the sounds of working people, along with meeting some great people from all over, participating in some wonderful conversations and creating new friendships, this is a must-stay place. I truly felt like I got away from it all while I was here. Roberta is a genteel and attentive hostess - her breakfasts were simple, healthy and hearty; she also can pack bag lunches upon request and care packages for those travelers heading for home. A couple of things you may want to know are that this cottage is the only kosher B & B in the state of Maine and the menu for breakfasts is vegetarian - if you really want meat, there are plenty of restaurants close by that can appease those appetities for lunch and dinner. I absolutely loved my stay here and I was sad to leave. I lingered on the porch for an hour or two before I departed, simply watching the activities on the water and breathing the clean salt air. If you happen to travel to Bar Harbor and you are looking for some place where life is slow, easy and peaceful, please check out the Shore Path Cottage - it's truly lovely! Rhonda Wronski, Old Orchard Beach, ME

3  Thank LoveMDI
Reviewed July 27, 2006

My wife and I stayed at Shore Path Cottage in mid-July 2006. The property borders the ocean and is located a very short walk from Bar Harbor. It is a very short ride to Acadia National Park and other points onf interest on Mount Dessert Island.
Our room was comfortable and very clean, fresh linens and towells readily available. We also had nice views of the ocean and a nicely -tended yard, with lots of flowers. Unlike the usual "continental breakfast" served at most bed-and-breakfasts, home-made waffles and pancakes were also served in a very nice dining room. Our interactions with other guests was also very pleasant. My wife and I enjoyed our stay very much and would recommend Shore Path Cottage to any of our friends planning on visiting Bar Harbor.

Date of stay: June 2006
4  Thank BobSchremser
Reviewed July 16, 2006

I can't imagine where the other people who wrote reviews were or what they were expecting. I chose Shore Path Cottage on the basis of it's web site. It was PERFECT: lovely big room, fabulous view of the ocean; easy walk into town, great breakfasts, and a delightful owner. I first went in June, returned in August with my husband, and came again in Sept. I can't think of anything I can complain about. It was all top notch! I'd go back in a heartbeat and I've suggested it to many people.

Date of stay: June 2005
3  Thank Navigator951
Reviewed October 16, 2005

Although the inn keeper was very friendly, the Shore Path wasn't exactly what we were hoping for. The inn is a bit dated - but not "period dated", more just "out of date". For the cost of what we paid, in the future I would stay at a different inn.

Date of stay: September 2005
3  Thank Ambassador12979
Reviewed September 15, 2005

We've stayed in 4 B&B's in the last 4 years in Bar Harbor and Shore Path Cottage was our least favorite of all. I would not really call Shorpeath Cottage a Bed and Breakfast in the classic sense of the word. It feels more like staying at a friend's grandmothers' house who lives on a fixed income or a Youth Hostel. Just be forewarned. Families with children may love it. We did not.

The good points: Pretty cottage with fabulous water view location on the historic shorepath close to Main Street, room size was very large with a king size bed and water breeze, excellent price of $195.00/night. The owner is a nice older woman, kind of a hippie.

Now the bad:

Very, very noisey, absolutely no sound proofing in this house, if your neighbors are loud you will suffer. Shore Path welcomes children and therefore it's much louder than a B&B that does not. Late one night, children in the adjacent room were laughing and screaming and I had to knock their door to ask for quiet. Another night, at 11:00pm, the owner and a guest were making so much noise below our room, I had to ask them be quiet so we could sleep.

Food: Below average. Coffee was terrible and not available before 8:00am. The owner does not start cooking breakfast until ALL guests are seated at the table so you have to wait a long time to eat very average hot food. The breads, cereal and juice were below par. None of the usual afternoon snacks or beverages. Disappointing.

Housekeeping: Atrocious, sheets and towels were old, worn, mismatched and not replaced every day. We finally took the sheets off our bed after several nights so they HAD to be replaced. The maid did not clean the room until 4:30pm which meant we had to be out of the room in the afternoon.

Room: Although the room itself was very large, the shower and bathroom were ridiculously small. The room was cheaply appointed. Strangely, there are no locks on the bedroom doors so your possessions are unsecured when you are not in the room.

It's not a bad value if you are aware of the downside, but we would not stay there again. You feel the pennies being pinched by the owner at all times.

10  Thank Passport31160