“Our home away from home”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Shore Path Cottage

and 1 more site!
Shore Path Cottage
Ranked #20 of 31 Bar Harbor B&B and Inns
Guilford, Connecticut
“Our home away from home”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 19, 2013

My four daughters and I recently made our first ever trip to Bar Harbor, and we could not have been more delighted with our experience at the Shore Path Cottage. We found the inn to be comfortable and clean, cozy and homey, truly steps from the water on a quiet street yet a short walk to the activities of town. Most importantly, the lovely owners made every effort to ensure that we were happy and that our needs were met. My daughters, age 10-12, were heartily welcomed and the overall feeling was one of acceptance of families of all ages--this was truly appreciated! The house is beautifully and naturally furnished, filled with books, art work, and family photos, giving the feel of a real "home." My children loved the rooms with the children's art work and poetry. We spent every day hiking, canoeing, kayaking, and swimming in the beautiful waters of Acadia, then happily returned to our lovely cottage to relax (cookies and lemonade awaiting!). We plan to keep returning to our "home away from home"!

Room Tip: All rooms seemed equally comfortable and charming; larger rooms are truly large and will easily acco...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (37)
Tampa, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 19, 2013

The most beautiful place I could imagine visiting in Maine. The family owned B&B are the sweetest people, they even accommodated me with GF cake & granola for breakfast. Breathtaking porch & water views! Very clean, neat & comfy rooms. I would recommend this specific B&B to truly experience the heart of Bar Harbour Maine.

• Stayed August 2013
Halifax, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 18, 2013

This was a treasure to find. A family owned and run establishment with attentive service. They upgraded our rooms at no cost. Beautiful outdoor yard that is kid friendly with games and lots of chairs. Very clean and a stately old, original home from the turn of the century. The shore path is spectacular. A library to die for if you are a reader. Great showers too. None of this spritzy drips of water. Real water pressure that is a true eye opener in the morning. Very nice breakfast, healthy with options. They even accommodated a person who was lactose intolerant. A great place.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Cleveland, Ohio
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 13, 2013

I felt very comfortable at this B&B. Delicious breakfasts! Very clean private bathroom. Spacious room. Right on the Shore Path, so we woke up and went running in the AM.Moments away from the center of town. Loved location, loved the relaxing atmosphere. Wonderful hosts! Even enjoyed kosher meals on Shabbat. What a treat! Would love to return!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 9, 2013

My first thought was" , ah so cozy and friendly!" We got the best room...Roberta's......it is spacious and great views of the sunrise......we are off the water so it's not as close as I thought....the family is gracious and every morning we sat around a large dining table and compared notes on the best hikes and dining...no tv. That was refreshing...it helped me have a quitter stay! Homemade breads and special egg dishes.....I think you will like it like we have...

Room Tip: Robertas. The best!
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Hyde Park, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 1, 2013

My husband and I dropped off our son at Camp Merrowvista in NH and headed to Bar Harbor where I'd made reservations at Shore Path Cottage. Prior to our trip, I'd looked online and saw quite a few places and just picked the property because of good reviews and also because it looked like a charming place to stay. I sent a reservation request and received a call a short while later from Roberta, the owner, who confirmed we were indeed staying with her at Shore Path Cottage and that we would receive our choice of the Bird's Nest in which to stay.
From the time that we drove up to Shore Path Cottage, my husband and I were enamored with the place. Roberta and her two daughters, Lisbeth and Melinda, are lovely hostesses who are sincerely warm and friendly. We were shown our room and adjoining bath and asked if we liked where we'd be staying and we told them it was perfect, which it was.
Our room and bath were contained in a structure adjoining the home, which I was told when I made the reservations, and it was, as I said, perfect as we had our own little "Bird's Nest" to retreat to after the days' and evenings' activities. The decor is charming and is what one would expect in a beach cottage, blue and white being the main colors with some yellow thrown in, wood flooring, wicker night tables, two windows through which a delightful breeze flows throughout the days and especially in the evenings, a closet, shelves with books, a dresser and table with two chairs. Plenty of lighting and a king size bed complete with four plump pillows round out this haven. The adjoining bath is neat and clean with an incredible shower. We also received clean bath towels, hand towels, washcloths, and bath mats every day. We wouldn't be adverse to re-using the towels but I imagine that because of the damp sea air not being conducive to towels air drying in bathrooms, we were given new ones daily.
We were invited into the dining room to partake of afternoon tea on the day we arrived, and on every day thereafter there was always hot water for tea and lemonade as well as scrumptious confections like lemon cake, pound cake, peanut butter cookies, and chocolate chip cookies.
On our first night, Roberta called a local restaurant to make reservations for us and we enjoyed her recommendation very much. The Shore Path is located just 6/10 of a mile from the harbor and everything is easily accessible and within walking distance.
Breakfast the next day as well as every other day was like eating at home with one's own personal chef. They offered eggs every day and one day there was a frittata. There's always a large bowl of Roberta's amazing homemade muesli with fresh fruit and yogurt. Blueberry muffins, bagels, English muffins, jams and butter, banana bread, buckwheat blueberry pancakes, juice and good strong coffee that is actually very good are some of the fare we had when staying with Roberta.
The home is lovely. It reminded me of a moored ship as my husband and I approached it from the Shore Path (This is another wonderful bonus; the house's lawn descends right down to the Shore Path where one can walk directly into town along the shore and harbor.). Even though it is a house, there is a magical fluidity to the property. Perhaps it's the mermaid masthead looking out over the waters. Maybe it's the beautiful blue and white exterior or the lush foliage surrounding the property. Whatever it is, this is what I pictured Maine to be like along with the tidal basins surrounded by stands of pine trees that I saw on our way into Bar Harbor and in Acadia National Park. When I read George Howe Colt's The Big House, this is what I imagined- a rambling old (historic and kept up incredibly to preserve the past, welcome new guests, and create a warm relaxing atmosphere) home full of comfortable furniture in which to sit, beautiful wool rugs, and eclectic art, and a sprawling lawn with chairs in which to sit and take in the salt air and view.
This little vacation rejuvenated me and my husband and we'll carry our time in Maine at the Shore Path Cottage perhaps like talismans to ensure good days to come before our next visit to Roberta when we'll once again be able to hear the welcoming creak of the screen doors and the warm greetings from this hostess extraordinaire.

Room Tip: Look at the photos online. Talk to Roberta or her daughters. They'll help you choose the room th...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank betweenthelens
New York City, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 18, 2013

We spent 5 days in the comfort and warmth of The Shorepath Cottage. It was like staying with family. Roberta and Lisabeth accommodated all our needs and even were able to anticipate what we would need for a great stay in Bar Harbor and Acadia. The breakfast was delicious. The setting is beautiful. In town, but quiet with a feeling of privacy. On the water with the Shorepath right at the end of the lawn. We loved this B & B!

Room Tip: We loved Cecily's Suite.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family