“If you enjoy rusty brown water, poor drainage, and bugs, then this is your spot!”
Review of Sea Breeze Motel

Sea Breeze Motel
Ranked #41 of 41 Hotels in Bar Harbor
Belmar, NJ
Reviewed August 29, 2009

I should have known better than to give my husband free reign over planning our Maine vacation, since he refuses to read internet hotel reviews before he books. He reasons that he chose the Sea Breeze Motel based on the relatively high price for the area ($165 per night) and the ocean view, thinking that it would be a clean, quality spot to stay the night while we checked out the Bar Harbor area. How wrong he was! I knew we were in trouble when we pulled into the dark, poorly lit, overgrown driveway that led up to the dirty, unkept motel. We had our three kids in the car and it was rainy and late, so I figured that the place couldn't possibly be all THAT bad, and my husband went to the office and paid. When we got to the room, I noticed that it was shabby and dirty-looking, but we were tired and like I said, it was late, so we decided to suck it up and stay the night anyway. We unpacked and I started to fill up the bath tub to bathe our baby. The water was BROWN - it looked like iced tea. As if that weren't bad enough, both the tub AND the sink weren't draining properly. The final straw was when my older son went to use the toilet and it wouldn't flush. I looked at my husband and said, "This place is absolutely disgusting". We called the front desk to complain, and two of the workers came to our room and plunged the toilet. I pointed out the brown water, and my husband asked for a refund. At first, the worker (who also was the person that checked us in) told us that yes, he would refund our money. We packed our car back up - in the rain - with our belongings and our three children. We went to the office to check out and get our refund, and suddenly the story changed. We were told that we would be moved to another room instead. I knew that every other room in that place was going to be the same as the one that we had just left, and I asked to speak with a manager. The manager was off-site, so the desk clerk/maintenance person called her on his cell phone. She was extremely indifferent, and kept telling me, after I stated my case SEVERAL times, that she didn't understand what the problem was...I finally said, "THE [--] WATER IS BROWN AND WON'T DRAIN! I HAVE AN INFANT WHO NEEDS A BATH! YOUR HOTEL IS DISGUSTING! WHAT IS NOT TO UNDERSTAND???" (Yes, I'm sorry to say that at this point, I was freely using expletives) The manager calmly said that the water is city water and EVERYONE in the area had brown water, and that I would not be getting a refund (I later found this statement of hers to be completely false. The next night we stayed at the Edenbrook Motel, which was not only extremely clean and closer to town, but also $60 cheaper...and the water there was crystal clear). She seemed to have absolutely no business sense whatsoever, as she was not the least bit concerned or apologetic that we were having these problems and were so unhappy. I called the police to ask what our options were, because at this point I felt as if I had just been robbed. The dispatcher told me that they had heard complaints about the Sea Breeze Motel before, but that it was a civil matter and I should call my credit card company immediately and cancel the payment. I got off the phone and relayed this info to my husband, whereupon I learned that he had paid CASH for the room. I think this explains why they at first offered a refund and then suddenly started singing a different tune - they knew they had already made their money off of us. I seriously wanted to cry. Defeated, we moved to a different room, and the desk clerk said he would check the water for us. He filled the sink with hot water - which this time, rather than being brown, was a sort of dark-yellow urine color. Upon seeing this, he nonetheless proceeded to tell me that the water was fine. I said, "So this water doesn't look extremely discolored to you?" He replied, "No". My husband and I felt at this point as though we were living in the Twilight Zone and pretty much gave up and decided to just try to get a decent night's rest. We unwillingly unpacked - AGAIN. I went to use the bathroom, and when I shut the door the towel hook flew off and landed on the floor. Then when I lifted up my pillow to fluff it before bed, a black insect was there to wish me a good-night (I have since learned - after reading a few reviews of the Sea Breeze - that we were not the only people to find a little "surprise friend" underneath their pillow). I could go on and on and on...but I guess I already have, huh? Haha. The next day we beat it out of there faster than you can say "bedbugs". The lesson? ALWAYS read hotel reviews BEFORE you book, NEVER pay with cash, and when you see the Sea Breeze Motel, RUN FOR YOUR LIFE!

Stayed August 2009, traveled with family
6 Thank travelingchik

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (52)
CT
Reviewed August 23, 2009

Stayed here for three nights and have a very positive experience. We have a large family and found the pricing and approach of the staff very kid-friendly. The pool was pleasant, usually empty whenever we needed it, with a beautiful view of forest and sea.
We'd definitely recommend it if you are looking for a good price and staff who are willing to go the extra mile to help with special requests.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with family
talking rock
Reviewed August 1, 2009

what a dump . the rooms have never been updated. there is no wifi unless you sit in the lobby. the water in the bathroom sink was so rusty is was RED- we were moved to another
room , the grab bar fell out of the shower with the first use the shwr doors were off the track
there was only one pillow , on a king bed, in the second room----went back to the 1st rm
to get pillows. there are no hair dryers , the carpet is nasty, spider web in bathroom
hot tub closed (not that we would use it )
the people are nice---this seems to be an ownership problem
we will not be staying there again employees----find another place to work !

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple

Travelers are raving about these Bar Harbor hotels

Springfield
Reviewed July 18, 2009

As several people have already said, this place is nothing special, but the sheets are clean! We stayed at the Sea Breeze Motel over July 4th mostly because they are a pet friendly motel. We were in room 320, no bay view, but could pull our car right up to the door. Like much of the motel our room was in need of some updates, new mattress, carpet, hanging light, etc.

On the website it looks as if someone could sit on the deck and see the bay, I'm not sure if that is true because I could only see it when I was standing by the pool area. The trees have grown since the picture was taken. The pool was open, but the hot tub was closed the entire time we were there. My guess is it will not be open at all this year.

Positive things about this place if someone can overlook the exterior:
Since the motel sits back a little ways from the road it is very quiet.
Mini Refridge in room and TV
Pet Friendly - all size dogs welcomed ($25.00 extra for entire stay not daily)
The Explorer buses run right by this place and stops only about 3 tenth of a mile up the road. This is great if you don't want to drive into Bar Harbor, Acaida Park, etc.
Mini golf, ice cream place, and restaurant right up the street.
Employees are very nice.

If you are not planning on staying in your room and just need a place to stay with clean sheets- this is it for the price. There camping in a tent and then there is this place.

Would I recommend this place to a friend- that is a tough question because all of my friends have different expectations. Some I would (people who can go without the glitz and can handle roughing it a little) and some I would not (my ritz carlton friends).

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
2 Thank lmoore406
Lombard, Illinois
Reviewed June 27, 2009

The location of this property is outstanding.....too bad the place is a mess.
We selected the Sea Breeze from their Internet site.
What a disappointment.
We knew we were in trouble when half the lights lining the road into the hotel were out. Upon checking in we headed to our room. The stairs up to the room were in need of a major paint job. Paint was flaking off everywhere. Openning the door to the room, which was badly warped, we saw a yellowed discolored bedspread that looked as if it was from the early 1960's. When we pulled the bed spread down we found a black bug under one of the pillows. That was it... We when back to the lobby and asked for a refund.
The desk clerk was very nice and called the manager. We were told the manager was on the way. We waited about 5 minutes when the desk clerk said the manager told him to give us a full refund. Which they did.

We also noticed the outdoor carpeting on the balcony was ripped in numerous places, the weatherstripping from the sliding door was loose and the heating/AC unit was falling off the wall.

It's really too bad the place is such a mess. The location is beautiful. Perhaps sometime in the future someone will invest the money and make the place all it can be...

Blake &Kris
June 2009

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple
Tampa, Florida
Reviewed June 13, 2009

Stayed in a room right next to the office. Hardwood floors, fridge, coffee maker, very clean. Furniture was dated, but it was clean and I really didn't feel like I was staying in a Motel. Easy access to all the Islands attractions. Would stay there again.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled with family
Nesbit, Mississippi
Reviewed May 22, 2009

Room 316, had broken toilet seat, my wife hurt her tailbone as a result. When the desk rep was advised,she had an indifferent attitude. This Unsafe situation was just "Blown Off".
The cleanliness of the room was lacking as the carpet needed to be changed out or at least shampooed. The cobwebs are throughout the floor. The mattress needs to be replaced as it sinks to the middle.
It is sad to see a facility with this history and potential to be allowed to fall into this disrepair.
I hope that Management will address the issues that they are being made aware of otherwise this property will fad into the history of Bar Harbor.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple