“Exceeded Expectations”

ImprovAcadia
Ranked #1 of 3 Fun & Games in Bar Harbor
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: We offer fully improvised comedy shows six to seven nights a week during the season. We feature a cast of professional improvisers from Chicago and Maine. See the performers create a hilarious show using only your suggestions and their quick wits! Call to get show times and to make a reservation. Full bar, light snacks and desserts available. First show of every night is family friendly. Under 21 must be accompanied by an adult.
Reviewed July 29, 2008

We were a little nervous going to a comedy show in a tourist town, as we have done that before (Outer Banks) and have not had good experiences. My best friend especially was reluctant to try it, as she has even seen terrible improv before. I had a great experience with improv in Chicago, and we had no other plans for the evening, so I felt that $15 was a reasonable expense for a night's entertainment. Also, everyone gave it such high ratings! Well, they were right! Our fears were totally unfounded. Everything was super funny, and we have highly refined comedic tastes, if I do say so myself. The other point I wanted to mention to their credit: so many suggestions from the young (under 10 yr. old) majority in the audience were SO LAME, as one would expect, and the actors really pulled things out of the fire admirably. (Give me a suggestion of a super power you might want to have, such as the ability to pour coffee out of your finger or something crazy like that...Kids: Flying!!!11!) They did a great job with stupid suggestions, and I think that was the most impressive thing. I think next time we'll take the later show. I'd like to assume that an older, adult audience would do a better job, but who knows. Honestly, I didn't really expect people to take their small children to a comedy show in the first place, but to each his own.

With no reasonable bowling as far as the eye can see, I'd like to recommend ImprovAcadia as the best nighttime activity in Bar Harbor.

2  Thank Sarizona
in 29 reviews
"skits"
in 21 reviews

Reviewed July 23, 2008

We went with our 3 kids (9,11,12) in July 2008 to the family friendly 8pm show. After all the wonderful things we did on our trip, this was the one event that received the highest rating from all 5 of us. We were near tears laughing. We called ahead (that am) and they reserved for us a table in the front. The kids were timid at first but then started volunteering words, and our daughter was on stage. In the end no one volunteered for the finale so I did...I'm so glad, I only wish we'd videotaped it. They asked about our day, and a few key qualities of our family members, then reran the day in their own way. It was "hylerical" as my kids say. Highly recommended!!!

1  Thank tyegator
Reviewed May 30, 2008

I've seen improv before and this was one of the best. The three performers incorporated so much of the audience's comments and experiences, including my own group of friends in a dream sequences. It was hilarious.

Reviewed September 10, 2007

I went several times during my trip to Bar Harbor, and enjoyed each performance. I had never seen live improv before, and was amazed at the fast pace, and even faster thinking going on! the bartender improvised some drinks for us, which was fun, and the show was laugh-out-loud funny. A good time was had by all!

1  Thank FPDoc
See more reviews
Reviewed September 10, 2007

We were referred to ImprovAcadia by some of our friends in the Bar Harbor area. I almost did not survive the experience - I have rarely enjoyed a comedy performance so much. They took one of our suggestions for a "game" & ran with it - I laughed so hard I cried, then I ran out breath & still could not stop laughing. The cast was as talented as any I've seen on stage (been to a bunch of Chicago Improv) or on TV, & they gave a spectacular performance. It was a great value at the price, & it put a fun spin on our evening. We'll go back to see them next time we vacation in beautiful Bar Harbor.

2  Thank AntonOmaha