“Great Discovery”
Review of Quimby House Inn

Quimby House Inn
Ranked #32 of 42 Hotels in Bar Harbor
Reviewed April 16, 2014 via mobile

Not the Bar Harbor season but still a great place to visit. Clean and quiet room. We were on the first floor of the Annex building, first floor...great for our dogs and us. An easy walk to the center of town.

Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Nfld

Reviewed April 8, 2014

Not too far from the main street of Bar Harbor which is great for going to the local restaurants. Big clean room, warm and friendly staff willing to accommodate your needs. Massage is available which is always welcomed in a stress filled life. Hopefully we will come back again when the weather is warmer so we can enjoy a whale excursion or the beaches.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank maddie1064
Reviewed April 1, 2014

In my various touring of New England, I found myself in Bar Harbor at Quimby House during both the summer and winter and both times ended up staying in room 101. The accommodation was great! Real clean room and spacious! Tim and Danielle were really friendly and knowledgeable with great recommendations for places to eat and things to do, yes even in winter! It's family owned and operated which made it very comfortable and laid back, yet still very professional. Though there isn't any breakfast, the coffee was good and the breakfast restaurants were literally a 2-5 minute walk from the inn. Kinda liked that they didn't serve breakfast, so I could explore more of the surrounding breakfast restaurants like 2 Cats, Jordans, The Black Friar, and Jeanie's Great Maine Breakfast which I would have never discovered had they served breakfast. Blueberry Pancakes! Thanks for the great stay both times!

Room Tip: If you're looking for a king room, room 101 is spacious, comfortable, and easily accessible (esp...
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed March 19, 2014

My wife and I stayed here for a night during our vacation in August. We waited until the last minute to book a room, which is never a smart thing to do in a popular summer vacation spot. The morning of our stay we called around to different hotels asking if last minute rates were available. We spoke with the owner who was generous enough to offer us a queen suite in the annex. The room was very spacious. You walk up a staircase and into the living room. There were several couches and a TV. Going down the hallway there was a kitchen, bathroom, and the bedroom at the end of the hall. The kitchen was dated, but clean. It had an oven, microwave, refrigerator, full sink, and a small supply of utensils. The bathroom was average size with a tub shower combo. The bedroom was large with two dressers, a closet and a queen sized bed.
Overall this is a great place, especially if we were there for a whole week. The extra space and full kitchen would save money and make for a comfortable stay. Location wise, this was right down the street from the main street in Bar Harbor with all the shops and restaurants. It was nice to be able to walk to everything and not have to drive.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank jfdalbey
Reviewed March 5, 2014

We reserved for two nights about 3 weeks ahead but this tough winter and other issues caused me to cancel with the 10 day penalty period. No problem at the time of cancellation with the expected $25 penalty assessed but refundable if we rebooked. We were able to rebook

Tim was very friendly and helpful. Danielle not so much. She was unwelcoming and changed the rate she had quoted on the phone, adding for the extra person. I had told her our number of 3 originally. She was snarly when I requested the AAA discount which I had learned about from TT. Bottom line price was reasonable for our stay. It was the attitude not the rate that bothered me.

Overall our room was quite attractive and very spacious. All the linens were new as was the bathroom. Nice amenities. Good location, although not much is open in the dead of winter in Bar Harbor but we did find places to eat, and since we were there to visit family that wasn't an issue. Parking is very good and they made no complaints when we had to park a u-haul truck there overnight. Good coffee available at most times.

I was fearful that our room (209) being in the front on the busy street would be noisy. Not in the winter at least but I wouldn't book it in the busy summer months.
I am somewhat disabled but despite that I choose the second floor room but be aware that there is a 18 step steep stairway to get to the second floor but there is one sturdy banister.

Room Tip: Avoid 209 if it is busy season, or if you can't do stairs. Otherwise it is very roomy with 2 Q...
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled with family
4  Thank CarlanneNewJersey
Reviewed November 10, 2013

We booked a room here on the day before we arrived in town, based on the Trip Advisor reviews. However, I would say the TA reviews somewhat overstated the accommodations here.
The Inn is family owned and operated, which is nice. I think they have various size room options, which may be nice for families traveling together. I thought our room was large, by today's standards, with plenty of room for luggage. And, it seemed to be reasonably priced for its location, which is "in town" - about 3 or 4 blocks from the main street leading down to the pier/docks area. So, it is within walking distance to the area of town with more shops and restaurants. We felt safe walking back to the inn at night.
However, I would not call the decor "quaint" or "Victorian" - I would call it "dated". The decor seemed to me to be from the early-mid 90's. While it seemed to all be clean, that doesn't mean it couldn't use some refreshing and updating at least in the guest rooms. The linens were not a great quality, in my opinion - adequate, but nothing special. Other people complained about the TV in the room - I didn't have as much of an issue with that - we weren't there to watch TV, and probably only turned it on briefly one morning during our stay.
That being said, if you are looking for an inexpensive place to stay in Bar Harbor, and plan to be at Acadia National Park or elsewhere during most of your stay, QHI is a good bargain option.
As many others have stated, breakfast is NOT included with the room, but 2 Cats, across the street is an outstanding (if pricey) option for breakfast - we liked it so much, we ate there twice!

Room Tip: If you select a room at the front of the inn, you will hear road noise/traffic/pedestrians at night.
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
4  Thank nfall2010
Reviewed October 16, 2013

We travel with a large golden retriever so we are always looking for nice, pet friendly hotels. This is our second trip to Bar Harbor and we wanted a different hotel from the one we stayed at before. We found Quimby House Inn and checked it out on Tripadvisor. It got very good reviews so we decided to make reservations there. What a wonderful surprise when we arrived! The room (suite actually, which we weren't expecting) was very cozy and clean. We had a bedroom, large bath, kitchenette, and living room. The beds were comfortable and the water was hot and had good pressure. The staff in the office were very nice as well as the housekeeper. It was a short walk to downtown Bar Harbor and we went a few different ways. We stayed in the annex which is a separate building from the main building. When we return to Bar Harbor, we will definitely stay at the Quimby House Inn.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple