“Beautiful view”

Cuisines: Seafood
Good for: Local cuisine, Romantic, Business meetings, Special occasions
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Breakfast, Lunch, Delivery, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Description: Refined pleasures await you in the Reading Room Restaurant. You will enjoy a dining experience where the delicious cuisine and attentive service are surpassed only by the breathtaking ocean view. Our menu includes fresh seafood, choice cuts of meat, daily specials and memorable desserts. Come join us and the nightly live entertainment of grand piano music which provides the perfect ambiance to the fine dining experience. Dinner is served nightly and the dress code is informal.Please note that we are unable to guarantee window tables You can request a window and we will do our very best!
Reviewed June 1, 2014

Brunch today was delicious great selection but my husband was disapointed no waffles. The view was fabulous. A bit pricey but nice to do. I understand they only do Sunday brunch the first of every month.

1  Thank Dorothy040205

Reviewed June 1, 2014

My wife and I celebrated our 39th wedding anniversary at this delightful inn. We stayed in a room on the second floor of the inn which had a wonderful view from the balcony. The room had been recently renovated and was first rate as were the services we received from the front desk. The dinner we had at the Reading Room Restaurant was in all respects perfect. The restaurant staff is attentive without being over bearing. We spent 2 plus hours enjoying the food and again the views of the bay. Paula did an excellent job of taking care of us and several of the staff including Ms. Walton, the food service manager, inquired if everything was to our satisfaction. It is always nice to enjoy a well cooked meal. It becomes a wonderful experience when the people involved are so pleasant.

BHI-GM, Manager at Reading Room Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded June 7, 2014

I am so happy that you enjoyed your meal. Our seasoned staff is something that I am very proud of. Paula has been with us for over 10 years and she does a great job. I appreciate you mentioning her. It is my hope that dinner in the Reading Room Restaurant is truly a wonderful experience for each person that joins us. Happy Anniversary and thank you for choosing us.

Wonderful experience...
Service, view & food..all top notch..
We shared the Rack of Lamb...They presented it on 2 plates with Salad & fresh vegetables & smashed potatoes...with gravy...A basket of assorted breads..and a special strawberry, mango, goat cheese & walnut starter..It was certainly enough for 2....
And topped it off with a dish of delicious strawberry & rhubarb crumble with Ice cream..

If we come back to Bar Harbor...we will definitely be back..

Thank you for taking the time to review your experience in the Reading Room. Many people have told us that our Rack of Lamb is one of the best meals they have ever had in a restaurant. Our Pastry Chef does a great job baking fresh breads and creating amazing desserts each day. I am so happy to hear that enjoyed everything and I look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Reviewed May 30, 2014

We started on the deck at Happy Hour (From 4:30 to 6:30) which is a well kept secret and the best spot in Bar Harbor to spend a little time before a fabulous dinner. The bar staff was friendly and the wait staff was well trained and all smiles. We have been going there for about 15 years and Cathy Walton the Food Service Manager works very hard to make sure every detail is taken care of. No question this is the gem of Bar Harbor.

Thank you so much for the kind words about your experience in the Reading Room Restaurant. I always refer to our porch off our Oasis Club Lounge as “Bar Harbor’s Best Kept Secret”. It is so enjoyable to sit there and watch the sun go down while sipping one of our specialty cocktails. Our friendly staff is one of the things that make the Reading Room so special – I am always so proud of them. Thank you again.

Reviewed May 30, 2014

6:30 reservation the dining room was pretty empty but we were sat close to the entry door. Really my whole reason for going to this restaurant was for the view. Now all I could see was the grass and a small slice of the water.... Not at all the sunset. It took me a while to recover from this disappointment. Especially as I watched several other people get seated at much better spots. We almost left, but decided to just go with it as I was hungry and was hoping the good food would overcome the poor view.

Appetizers were just okay. Wouldn't order the Brie again...much too sweet. Dinner was average. The lobster was good. I've had better. The lobster pie ok just okay. Nothing to write about. The desert wasn't great (seemed very processed) and the serving staff took it away before we could finish which we didn't really care too much about but it still bugged me as we weren't done.

200.00 later - I am disappointed to have wasted my night here... Wish I would have gone some place else...

1  Thank mtimes3

I appreciate that you took the time to review the restaurant. I am so sorry you had such an unpleasant experience. Dinner in the Reading Room should be a wonderful experience and I apologize if we let you down. I have spoken with our chef about the issues you mentioned and I will reiterate to our dining room staff the importance of the impeccable service we are usually noted for. I hope that you give us another chance. I sincerely apologize.