“Wonderful”

Cuisines: Seafood
Good for: Special occasions, Local cuisine, Business meetings, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Description: Refined pleasures await you in the Reading Room Restaurant. You will enjoy a dining experience where the delicious cuisine and attentive service are surpassed only by the breathtaking ocean view. Our menu includes fresh seafood, choice cuts of meat, daily specials and memorable desserts. Come join us and the nightly live entertainment of grand piano music which provides the perfect ambiance to the fine dining experience. Dinner is served nightly and the dress code is informal.Please note that we are unable to guarantee window tables You can request a window and we will do our very best!
Sydney
“Wonderful”
Reviewed November 10, 2013

We sat along the window every time and never got tired of the view. The service was impeccable but still relaxed. The food was fantastic and there were a number of options we liked the look of so after one failed attempt to eat elsewhere we just decided that despite the cost it was worth it to go back and enjoy ourselves

Visited April 2013

Ellsworth, Maine
“Rack of Lamb is Heavenly!!!”
Reviewed November 8, 2013

My husband and I had a date night and enjoyed our meal tremendously at the Reading Room. My lamb was simply delicious and his lobster pie was to die for! The appetizer of scallops was huge and very moist and juicy. We enjoyed plenty of fresh veggies and the sauce with the lamb was superb. We did save room for dessert, too. I had had the chocolate torte before and was ready to order it tonight but the server suggested I try the chocolate lava cake with vanilla ice cream. I now have a new favorite dessert! Hubby had the crème brulee'. YUMMY. Thank you Reading Room for great food, super service and atmosphere.

• Visited November 2013
“A Wonderful Step Back in Time”
Reviewed November 6, 2013

We dined at The Reading Room on our last night in Bar Harbor. If we had dined there earlier in our stay, we would have definitely returned. I've read some of the other reviews and am surprised how picky a few of them sound. It's an old hotel and restaurant, but that gives it so much charm. The furnishings are beautiful and not at all run down--I sometimes wonder what will make some people happy! Maybe nothing because this is a wonderful restaurant with incredible views, excellent food and friendly, top-notch service! It does takes you back to a more relaxed time in life when people sat back and enjoyed their meal and conversation. The piano player was great and played a nice selection of current music and classics. My wife had the lobster and said it was the best she has had since she was a kid. I had the salmon which was delicious. Everything we ate was perfectly prepared and presented. There were several birthdays around us. People were wishing each other Happy Birthdays all around and it was a very fun atmosphere. The Reading Room is a memorable restaurant that captures the spirit of a time gone by in a beautiful setting.

• Visited September 2013
Bar Harbor
“Delicious food, wonderful service”
Reviewed November 6, 2013

We had a wonderful dinner last night at the Reading Room at the Bar Harbor Inn. Cathy was gracious and warm, as she always is, in greeting us. Tonya was efficient, friendly and fun in serving us. All the food was delicious, and the Blueberry Pie was the best we've ever had! Debbie & Carole

• Visited November 2013
Baltimore, Maryland
“Pleasure in the small things!”
Reviewed November 3, 2013 via mobile

Chose this restaurant as it was one of the few seafood places still open in late October and my hotel gave a discount. It was a great meal, definitely more tasty than I expected for the moderate prices.

Started off with a sweet amuse-bouche of banana, chocolate, and toasted coconut. Yummy. Decent lobster bisque to start. Then a palate cleanser of some sort of berry sorbet garnished with lime. DELICIOUS!! I wanted more! For the main course, I ordered surf & turf: petit filet and lobster tail. The lobster was a generous portion and good. The petit filet might have been the best beef I've ever had! Cooked perfectly, so tender, and minimally seasoned. I can still taste it if I close my eyes! The side of asiago au gratin potatoes were memorable as well.

Dessert did not disappoint. Bananas foster bread pudding with vanilla ice cream. There was also a big dollop of whipped cream garnished with peanut brittle! So unique! I was sad not to have room for it all. Service was great and, yes, the view is beautiful. I arrived in time to catch the sunset. Would dine again for sure!

Visited October 2013