“Relaxed Fine Dining”

Cuisines: Seafood
Good for: Romantic, Local cuisine, Special occasions, Business meetings
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Description: Refined pleasures await you in the Reading Room Restaurant. You will enjoy a dining experience where the delicious cuisine and attentive service are surpassed only by the breathtaking ocean view. Our menu includes fresh seafood, choice cuts of meat, daily specials and memorable desserts. Come join us and the nightly live entertainment of grand piano music which provides the perfect ambiance to the fine dining experience. Dinner is served nightly and the dress code is informal.Please note that we are unable to guarantee window tables You can request a window and we will do our very best!
Reviewed June 21, 2013

We have been visiting Mt. Desert Island for years, but finally dined at the Reading Room and will make it a traditional summer stop from now on.

Our table for six was by one of the windows overlooking the harbor and, as our reservation was for seven, we viewed the beautiful sunset as well as the Margaret Todd setting sail and returning to the dock. Our waiter, Kirk, was very personable and professional and the rest of the wait staff was polite and friendly.

Everyone was delighted by the appetizer they had ordered, from the crab cakes to the carpaccio and an asparagus strudel. I ordered the lobster bisque, which was full of flavor and lobster meat.

For dinner, my husband couldn't stop talking about how wonderful his salmon tasted. Good things were said about the rack of lamb, the filet mignon and the haddock; but the real winner of the night was our vegetarian friend's meal, the vegetable Wellington. She was nice enough to let everyone sample it and it was divine!

We were tempted to try the recommended wine pairings with each menu item, but opted for a specially priced bottle of chardonnay, which was buttery and perfect.

Dessert consisted of yummy blueberry pie, a Grand Marnier creme brulee, and a chocolate torte that was so rich my daughter could only eat half.

A very pleasant evening and we will be returning next year for our "last summer night in Maine" dinner.

Reviewed June 20, 2013

Delicious food, ambience, view! Charming and talented Chef Louis Kiefer conducted a fun and informative culinary demo that delighted my friend and I on an otherwise dreary rainy day. Chef went so far as to prepare breakfast treats and water in a bag for our early morning departure as a surprise to us. Such hospitality! I've spent about 10 summer vacations of just under a week at the gracious Bar Harbor Inn and after the Chef's warmth a hospitality, I'll be back for more! By the way, I purchased his cookbook online after I returned home.

Reviewed June 20, 2013

This exceptional restaurant succeeds in delivering an extraordinary dining experience,
combining great people, delicious food, wonderful service, gorgeous decor, beautiful piano music and an incomparable panaramic view of beautiful Bar Harbor, Maine. Thank you so very much
to all the talented and caring professionals who are responsible for creating this unique
experience, especially David Witham, Cathy Walton, Joe Marshall, Fred Link and Bob Bahr.

Reviewed June 20, 2013

high end restaurant, but well worth it. your mouth will water with all the food choices. and you will not be disappointed, I promise!

Reviewed June 20, 2013

The setting is wondrful, the restaurant has a wonderful panoramic view of the harbour. The food was high quality and good portions. I had the lobster pie which was one of the best entrees I've had. My wife had the lobster out of the shell which was also very good. We shared a creme brulee which was divine. The service was impecacable.