“Best Restaurant on the Island, Hands Down”
Review of Burning Tree

Burning Tree
Ranked #47 of 144 Restaurants in Bar Harbor
Good for: Special occasions, Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Bar Harbor, Maine, United States
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Best Restaurant on the Island, Hands Down”
Reviewed October 7, 2013

I've been to the Burning Tree many times, and it is by far the best cuisine on MDI. The food is incredible and delicious. The chef's creations are imaginative and creative with the unexpected combinations of flavors. The seafood is almost always perfectly cooked, and their wide selection of dishes are all fantastic. The ingredients, as well as the flavors are all local, and the restaurant fits the island's personality perfectly. Anybody visiting the island who wants a great dinner, albeit a bit pricy, should come to the Tree. You won't regret it.

• Visited October 2013
1 Thank Will G

North Scituate
“The worst dining experience of my life.”
Reviewed October 1, 2013

We went to The Burning Tree to celebrate my birthday. Even though I love seafood, nothing on the menu was appealing--way too complicated--I don't like fish camouflaged and over seasoned.
I finally settled on an appetizer, a Thai chicken wing. It was OK. My companion had a pasta dish with a seafood mousse (I think lobster, scallops, and shrimp??), wrapped in Swiss Chard.
He took one bite, and asked "What IS this stuff?" He was so disappointed, he almost sent his order back, and did not finish eating. The prices are a bit high, especially in light of our experience. Will never recommend this restaurant.

3 Thank Cynthia S
Bar Harbor, Maine
“One of the Island's best restaurants”
Reviewed September 24, 2013

My wife and I ate here a few weeks ago and we still talk about how good it was. Being a local I make it a point to visit many of our restaurants in order to help visitors make dining decisions and this place is in my Top 2 list of restaurants on the island. The seafood (and it is mostly seafood) is prepared extremely well and is quite inventive and the service is top notch. My wife, being gluten and dairy intolerant, asked several questions about various dishes and each question was met with a knowledgeable response, not a " wait while I go back to the kitchen" response. This is a clue you are at a great place, IMHO, for the servers reflect how things are done in the kitchen. Food is fresh, the veggies are garden grown beside the restaurant, and the wines were an added complement to the meal. You have to drive several miles outside Bar Harbor to get there but do yourself a favor and drive.

• Visited August 2013
Maine
“One of the Best on the Island”
Reviewed September 22, 2013

Food is imaginative and well-prepared. They make extensive use of the produce from their gardens. We had a chat with one of their gardeners. Service is excellent. And the vibe is low-key. We try to get there every year when we visit Acadia

1 Thank KaseyME
Cornish, New Hampshire
“Fresh, unique dishes!”
Reviewed September 16, 2013

My husband and I went here recently. There are a lot of unique menu choices. However, there are very few entrees that are not fish/seafood-related. I don't like fish or seafood so I chose rabbit although I would have liked something else. The rice that came with one of our dishes was absolutely delicious. Dessert was yummy. It's awesome because the restaurant uses ingredients that they grow right there in their own garden. Very fresh! Our waiter was wonderful. Their Cosmo is original; they use crabapple instead of cranberry. Very tart! Our bill was about $100. Reservations are strongly recommended if not required as it's a popular spot.

2 Thank Liz-Karl