“Poor excuse for an Italian restaurant...take a pass on this one”
Review of Mama DiMatteo's

Mama DiMatteo's
Ranked #52 of 152 Restaurants in Bar Harbor
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed September 9, 2012

We found the menu to be very limited. When we asked the waiter about the sauce on the pasta marinara, he was honest and stirred us away from it. However, that same sauce is on the veal parm that he did recommend. He reassured us that it was real veal and that the chef was back there pounding it out. When it came to the table, it looked more like veiner schnitzel than veal parm with a watery red sauce. My husband ate it because he was hungry. I ordered the pasta mediterranean (a primavera in an oil and white wine sauce). I could count the tomatoes, spinach, black olives, and canned pickled artichokes that were in with the pasta. It was pretty void of veggies. Now you would think that veggies are an ingredient you can be generous with from a cost standpoint...it was what I call a "wish" dish. Wish it was really the way I thought it was going to look and taste. There's really nothing Italian about this place, they just call themselves Italian. Don't waste your time or your money in going here... there are too many other great choices. I really wish I could give this a better review.

Reviewed September 9, 2012

This was one of our regular haunts for our annual trip to Bar Harbor. This year however, the waiter was terrible and the food was extremely ordinary. My wife had the pesto haddock and I had an all-you can eat early bird pasta and chicken special. Waiter never even asked if I wanted more, but I would have declined anyway. Very bland. My wife's dish was also rather disappointing, with a dollop of pesto spread over the top of a broiled haddock. Probably will skip it next year!

Reviewed September 6, 2012

If you need Italian- this one works. Also nice bar. Reasonable wine prices. Ling and clam was a litttle flat. Lasagna was very good. Salad was fresh but, too cold at serve time. We ran out of seafoood onour night. Nice bread basket with oil and bean dip.

Reviewed September 2, 2012

We usually arrive right, getting at 4:30 opening so have no trouble getting a table, but the place is usually jumping by the time we leave. It’s not Boston Pizza, it’s a nice quiet place out of the “touristy” zone. Ask your server to add a little balsamic to the oil and pate that comes with your bread, yummy! We’ve been several times and the food has always been spectacular, the service excellent. If you are looking for a large meal, there are several endless pasta bowls to choose from. The Mac ‘n Cheese is my favorite. The quality and cost compared to the meal we had in Rockland yesterday is uncomparable!

Reviewed August 24, 2012

located away from main st action. quiet patio area, we were able to hear the music being played in the park. food was good. kinda small portions, but was enough to fill you. had some unusual Italian selections. was very nice. not cheap. but nothing in Bar Harbor is cheap.