“Great Breakfast Place!”

Cafe This Way
Ranked #6 of 152 Restaurants in Bar Harbor
Good for: Special occasions, Local cuisine
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Description: serving breakfast and dinner, considered casual and fine dining. Large breakfast menu, and eclectic dinner menu.
Reviewed July 29, 2013

We came here as a result of a recommendation -- and we were so happy we did! the Breakfast Menu is varied and creative -- lots of vegetarian choices. Coffee was wonderful, hot, and came quickly. My husband had pineapple juice, and it was great,too. I had Eggs Benedict with tomatoes, spinach and artichokes. He had a breakfast burrito. It was a wonderful experience, and we will come back here again and again. Tables turn over quickly, so don't be discouraged by a line!

Write a ReviewReviews (2,327)

Reviewed July 29, 2013

Hidden away on a side street this great Café restaurant was a pleasure! Friendly greeting and warm atmosphere! The six girls from Quebec were impressed! I will insist on the Vegetarian Shepherd’s pie. So often vegetarian dishes in non-vegetarian restaurant are boring, not this dish: the crispy eggplant, tasty sauce, and refreshing salad in the side was fabulous! My friends also all enjoyed their choices. Wine selection satisfied this finicky group!

2  Thank QcGirlsOnBikes
Reviewed July 29, 2013

My husband and I were encouraged by a friend to check this place out while we were in Bar Harbor, and it's easy to see why. The staff was so friendly and helpful. We were able to sit on the deck, which was a treat on such a pleasant evening in Bar Harbor. I ordered a cocktail from the bar - a basil lemonade - which was tasty, but a little too sweet. Later, I had a glass of wine, which suited my taste (and the meal) much more appropriately.

For dinner, we shared the duck tostada as an appetizer, and it was very good. A small portion, but appropriate for an appetizer. My husband ordered the tuna as an entree, and I had a special: bluefish and shrimp piccata. Both meals showcased the freshness and flavor of their ingredients. I thought the piccata was a really clever twist on a classic dish, and I loved every bite of it.

For dessert we had Blueberry Pie. New to Maine, I didn't realize until later that blueberries are sort of special in the area, but I certainly enjoyed eating them in this classically prepared pie.

Bar Harbor seems to be filled with great little eateries, so it may be hard to choose. I can't speak for all the restaurants in town, but I can say that this place is not to be missed.

1  Thank MasonZ167
Reviewed July 29, 2013

Upon seeing all the positive reviews on here, I figured we had to make Cafe this way one of our stops. But we really were not impressed. I ordered the eggs/hashbrowns meal - I don't remember its actual name. The eggs weren't good and the hashbrowns were so dry they were inedible. I have never had bad hashbrowns in my life but they had some sort of spice on them and they were drier sawdust. Actually, that's exactly what they tasted like. And our waitor didn't come back over to ask if everything tasted alright so I didn't get a chance to ask him for butter. Who serves someone toast with no butter on the table or on the plate? My husband and I both agreed that this place is really overrated. Prices are decent but we would've enjoyed another place better most likely.

1  Thank Lauren W
Reviewed July 29, 2013 via mobile

When we visit Bar Harbor, even though we rent houses with fully equipped kitchens, we will come to this restaurant at least 5 times for breakfast. Their eggs are served in wonderful creative ways (I just had 2 eggs on top of sweet potato home fries on a bed of kale). There are many vegan and vegetarian options. The food is very high quality. My son (pickiest eater in existence) eats his weight in French Toast every morning. We've never had a bad meal at Cafe This Way.