“Outstanding”
Review of Havana

Havana
Reserve with OpenTable
Havana is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #18 of 151 Restaurants in Bar Harbor
Cuisines: Cuban, Latin, Seafood
Good for: Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Cross street: Wayman
Description: American fine dining with a Latin flair. Havana has an elegant modern atmosphere, an extensive wine list, knowledgeable staff and a sophisticated menu. Seafood, vegetarian and meat dishes are flavored with intelligence and respect and change weekly, sometimes daily. Havana is located in downtown Bar Harbor, just a short stroll up Main Street.
Reviewed July 11, 2014

The mojitos were original and outstanding. Arlo our server was professional and dedicated. The Paella was the best I ever had with so many flavors.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,000)

Reviewed July 10, 2014

My sister recommended this hot spot after visiting last month. My brother and I went and were also delighted! The manager came by to ensure we were completely satisfied and were over the top thrilled with each and every bite. The mojitos are the best I've ever had.
The outdoor seating is lovely. You can imagine being in Havana! The white fish of the day was so fresh and beautifully prepared and presented. The servers were very attentive and explained the menu thoroughly. I wish we had room for dessert on Mt Desert Island! Consider changing the name to Mt Delight Island now that Havana is here : )
I felt healthy and fed in mind body and spirit at Havana.

Reviewed July 9, 2014

We arrived for a late dinner to a cozy atmosphere. We were promptly seated by our hostess and quickly attended to by Enrique. After cursory review of the menu we had our minds set on sharing the mixed grill and Seafood Paella but, in discussion with our waiter, were persuaded to sample the freshly caught 100 lb halibut (Fish of the Day) instead. As a meat and potatoes type guy I was very impressed with the quality of the fish and the flavors on the plate. Delish. A must for foodies. The mixed grill was perfect for two and feature a house made chorizo. I would plan to eat here after 8pm as it is very busy otherwise.

1  Thank Richard T
Reviewed July 8, 2014

Our party of 6 were all excited upon arrival at Havana due to the busy outside eating area which gave a great atmosphere to the place.

Once inside we found it a lot calmer but very inviting, we were shown to our table and one of the big things we noticed was the amount of room afforded each table in the inside dining areas this is not always the case as many restaurants want to cram in as many tables as is possible.

The menu was interesting with plenty of choice including choices for the vegetarian in our party. The wine list was a little too complex with far too great a choice, a little confusing really however we managed and were pleased with our eventual selection.

We spent a very pleasant evening in a vibrant and eclectic restaurant and would certainly call back if vacationing in the Bar Harbor area again. It is located on the edge of the downtown but it is really worth hunting out.

Reviewed July 8, 2014

Was recommended by hotel as the best restaurant in town. We went with high expectations. It took forever to get our drinks, the waiter had to return to the table to ask again what we ordered. The food was brought out by a runner and he didn't explain the food. My wife tasted a green sauce with her fork and it almost brought her to tears. I like hot food and it was incredibly hot in flavor! The waiter whispered our discontent to the owner/manager. He looked our way but did nothing. $130 later, we couldn't leave fast enough. The food itself was okay but nothing special. One more suggestion, take your baseball cap off if you are the manager. Is this place a nice restaurant or a fast food joint?

2  Thank wildcatgolf
MichaelBoland, Owner at Havana, responded to this reviewResponded July 9, 2014

Hello Wildcatgolf (wish these things required real names as I think we would increase civility),

1. My apologies for the delay in getting drinks to you - it is frustrating on our end as well when that happens and we usually end up buying drinks for the guest when they are seriously delayed - I wish that we had done that for you.
2. Your title confuses me - if you mean to suggest that we don't care, you are very wrong. We definitely do care about every detail of our restaurant - we don't claim to get it right every time but you can not accuse us of not caring (see below)
3. I am sorry the sauce was too spicy - as we (the general manager) explained to you at the table we made a mistake in not ensuring that every employee when delivering food was giving a "heads up" to the guests about the high level of spice in this particular sauce (which is why we put it on the side) - due to this very episode we actually changed the sauce slightly and more importantly determined who had delivered the dinners and reminded them of the importance of this facet - again, it is truly unfortunate that your wife was so negatively affected by it but you can't claim that we don't care based on your limited experience.
4. We did absolutely talk to you about your experience and your statement that we did nothing is inaccurate and outright untrue. When we spoke to you we were told that you were satisfied and you didn't expect anything at all - even when a guest tells us that we still usually "comp" something if there was a mistake on our part but you seemed quite insistent and quite content with everything at the time.
4. I (the proprietor, Michael Boland) am in and out of the kitchen', sometimes handling food - a hat is my preferred method of preventing my currently unruly hair from entering your dinner - while I wear a dinner jacket most every evening I do also wear a baseball cap - it seems odd that you would note this in your review and I would venture to guess it affected your overall impression of our restaurant - that's too bad.
5. When we do make mistakes we always offer our guests compensation in the form of a gift card to give us another try - we would be happy to do the same with yourself - just send me your email or mailing address and i will send something to you immediately. The email address is on the website.