“Good but could have been better”
Review of Cafe Bluefish - CLOSED

Cuisines: American, Seafood
Good for: Romantic, Local cuisine, Special occasions
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed August 24, 2011

We arrived in Bar Harbor about 8pm and needed dinner. Cafe Bluefish was one block for our Inn and seemed a good choice. And it was a good choice, but it could have been better. Mostly, they need to hire another professional waiter. The restaurant seemed a mom & pop place, and our waiter possibly seemed to also be cooking. He would disappear for long stretches. Took forever to get a 2nd drink. When our dinner came we still lacked a place setting. The food was good, but they don't have a "professional" package in place. When you enter, you ring a bell for someone to come out of kitchen to seat you. I thought that was cute, but it really augured the fact that we were more in someone’s dining room than a professional restaurant.

Reviewed August 23, 2011

On the night of August 15, 2011, I just wanted a good meal away from the crowds in bar Harbor. A few blocks from the main drag I found the Cafe Bluefish. This restaurant surprisingly exceeded my expectations. I was immediately welcomed by the pleasant wait staff and seated at a nicely decorated table which had a book on Mediterranean cooking for my reading pleasure. Being solo, I had read most of my tour books. They also had cards and other books as well as the customary crayons for the young ones. Yes, this was a breath of fresh aircompared to the other choices in Bar Harbor. Not that they aren't good - they just are not in the class of the Cafe Bluefish which has an extensive, wide ranging menu including steamed lobsters, boneless breast of duck, beef, chicken, as well as various sea food delicacies.

This night I enjoyed their Poached Salmon which was beautifully christened with a sherried mustard remoulage. To start, I had a very delicious crab bisque accompanied by an excellent chardonnay from the Blackstone Winery in California which Emmy, my attentive server, picked especially for me. In addition to the Poached Salmon, the meal included a very nicely mashed sweet potato and seasoned rice. I savored these presentations artifully prepared and served by the warm and at the same time professional staff. And, to top this off, I enjoyed their Old Fashioned Blueberry Crisp served warm with ice cream. This was the last night of my vacation in Maine which included Booth Bay as well as Bar Harbor. Of all the restaurants I ate at, the Cafe Bluefish was definitely the BEST by a long shot, I wish I had found them sooner. Thanks for a wonderful dining experience. Highly Recommended.

1  Thank Don414
Reviewed August 14, 2011

We stopped in for a late, light dinner and were impressed. The food was excellent and the service was equally good. The atmosphere was very relaxed and more bistro than coastal Maine.

Reviewed August 8, 2011

My family and I ate at the Bluefish the other night and had a great meal, as always. We go to Bar Harbor about every other year and have been a fan of Cafe Bluefish for many years! i was telling a friend how much we enjoy the Bluefish and she said she saw a really nasty review on trip advisor. Since we really love it and have been going for years, I was curious so I went on line and looked at the review. All i can say is .....Geeeeez. The food is just wonderful and, even in this new world of exciting new cuisines, their food is unique and excellent. The blueberry martini's are, honestly, the best in Bar Harbor....not quite as strong as some i've had but NOT weak! Their salads are never, ever watery and the salad with the maple balsamic dressing is heavenly. I did, once, think my rice could have been hotter and if the place is jam packed, service can be a little slow but we are die hard fans and there are so many great books and old magazines to look at that we don't WANT to hurry too much. Just get us our blueberry martinis and we are happy campers! The 'famous' lobster strudel is yummy but our favorite dishes are (besides the salad I mentioned) the pecan salmon and the Haddock florentine. We hope they will stay in business for many years to come!

Reviewed August 7, 2011

This was exactly what I expected of Bar Harbor. It had a charming quaint atmosphere. Cafe salad, pecan crusted chicken and german chocolate mud pie were to die for. The waitstaff was friendly, timely and informative about the area. I would strongly recommend this to anyone visiting the area. I'll be back to try more the next time I visit I can hardly wait!