“Good imaginative food, well cooked”
Review of Mache Bistro

Mache Bistro
Ranked #17 of 152 Restaurants in Bar Harbor
Good for: Local cuisine, Romantic, Special occasions
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Description: Mache is a casual neighborhood bistro in downtown Bar Harbor, Maine. We offer an ever-changing menu:our appetizers, salads, entrees, small plates, and house-made desserts are prepared with the finest produce, freshest seafood, and organic & natural meats available. Full bar and eclectic wine list.
Reviewed October 1, 2009

We are on the third week of our trip and eating out everyday is gettng wearing, but this restaurant was worth it. Very nice food, portions just right and good service and atmosphere too.

Reviewed September 30, 2009

This was probably the best meal I had all summer, not just in Bar Harbor, but anywhere. Definitely on the higher-end both in price and quality for Bar Harbor, but well worth it. Everything was cooked perfectly and was full of flavor. The unique take on a "lobster roll" as an appetizer, served in a wrap with brie cheese, was excellent. We had the scallops and steak main courses, both fantastic. Would definitely recommend if you are looking for something more upscale in BH.

1  Thank RWorb
Reviewed September 28, 2009

After having a week of "so-so" food in Bar Harbor, my husband and I were so thrilled to have found Mache Bistro. There is a wonderful selection of organic dishes for all tastes. As someone who doesn't like seafood, eating good food in Bar Harbor was very difficult for me. I had filet mignon and it was perfectly cooked and not overly seasoned, unlike most non-seafood options at other restaurants. After our meal the owner came out to check up on us and we had a delightful and warm conversation. Everything about Manche Bistro was comfortable and classic. It is a true gem that stands far above the sea of mid-grade tourist dining. Please go to this place. You will not regret it!

2  Thank ugagirl28
Reviewed September 19, 2009

Believe it! Our first visit, I had the most delicious coq a vin I've had in a long time. My husband enjoyed a cassolet.....thoroughly enjoyed it. On our second visit, I had seared scallops over smashed sweet potatoes, while my husband had salmon. Salads were generous and very tasty too. Everything was wonderful. The owner has creative wine selections too. Always a featured white and a featured red, along with a decent list.

2  Thank Mags023
Reviewed September 15, 2009

I was so pleasantly surprised by Mache Bistro. It was excellent! We walked in after a long day of hiking and sightseeing, and it being our last night, we decided to get a bottle of wine. The wine list was accessible, affordable, and down-right down to earth! The bartender let us try 2 different wines before we chose our bottle. We had to wait a bit for our table, but we were feeling relaxed and happy from our hiking endorphins so we didnt care. When we sat down, our waitress was bubbly and made us feel excited to try the food. Right off the bat, we were overwhelmed by the menu...everything looked awesome! My boyfriend wanted the pear, but I didnt, so we went back and forth with the waitress about 100 times, until we decided on the lobster roll, the duck confit, and the calamari, and the hangar steak with bleu cheese butter to split as our entree. As we waited anxiously, we enjoyed our wine and talked in our cozy, candlelit corner. Our waitress came over soon enough with our appetizers and set the pear down! She got so confused that she made a mistake and brought it out for us. It was DIVINE! Best mistake ever. AND we ate everything else we ordered...I mean, we licked our plates clean! It was all delicious, thoughtful, fresh food. Definitely the best meal of our trip and the best I have had in a while. Chicago has a lot of great food, but Mache nailed the wine, food, service, and atmosphere better than I have experienced in a long time. So good. You have to go!!

2  Thank PlansTooMuch