“Really Good, Nice and Small”
Review of Mache Bistro

Mache Bistro
Ranked #24 of 143 Restaurants in Bar Harbor
Cuisines: American, Fusion
Good for: Romantic, Local cuisine
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Accepts American Express, Accepts Discover, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Full Bar, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Street Parking, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible, Wine and Beer
Description: Mache is a casual neighborhood bistro in downtown Bar Harbor, Maine. We offer an ever-changing menu:our appetizers, salads, entrees, small plates, and house-made desserts are prepared with the finest produce, freshest seafood, and organic & natural meats available. Full bar and eclectic wine list.
Southwest Harbor, Maine
“Really Good, Nice and Small”
Reviewed July 31, 2013

I recently went to Mache with some old friends who were visiting in town. Why does everyone visit in the summer? What about February?

Anyway, it has been some time since I was last at Mache. I was really excited by how good it was. All of our meals were great, the service was excellent, and the wine choices were balanced. I also forgot how much I love the feel of the place. Its quiet and intimate while also feeling busy. You dont have to shout to your friends, but its also not scary empty feeling.

Cant wait to go back again. This time I wont wait as long. Good job...

• Visited July 2013

Raleigh, North Carolina, United States
“Wow! Best meal in Bar Harbor -and I had crossed it off our list!”
Reviewed July 30, 2013 via mobile

So glad we went here! Had read some reviews that made me think there might be better places to go to for food but I was so wrong! The place is small so make a reservation. We called day of and got last table available on a Saturday night. Started with a stuffed piquillo pepper that would have been more enjoyable if given the time to warm up. So next ordered was the Chicken liver. Afraid it would be served ice cold we asked to have it sit out to come up to temp a bit before being served. Our wonderful servers response was -" excellent - we put it in the oven for a few minutes all the time in the winter". I asked about choosing between two mains and she steered me toward the Duck Confit entree "chef's favorite". So glad I did! Best entree of our trip. The skin was so crackly, the smoked duck breast was wonderful, the polenta was a perfect foil to the unctuousness of the dish. Incredible. Still thinking about it weeks later. Service was very good - somehow this one server with support staff handled all ten tables with grace and efficiency. Amazed by this place. A well fine oiled machine!

• Visited July 2013
Montreal, Canada
“Reservation a must!”
Reviewed July 29, 2013

Last night in Bar Harbor, we had made reservations here and understand why it's a must when we arrived. The room is very small with a tight table arrangement. Still the atmosphere is calm and quiet; as well, the service is attentive but not overly present. We had a difficult time choosing from the intriguing menu. Finally a couple of us had the grilled romaine salad, yes grilled! …very tasty! My main course was of salmon with a mushroom sauce, lovely presentation and very tasty. My companions also enjoyed their meals.

Visited June 2013
Syracuse, New York
“pricey but worth it!”
Reviewed July 28, 2013

My husband is NOT a fancy restaurant type of person... but I wanted to experience all kinds of food while in Maine. I will admit, his meal only had 3 scallops but as we were leaving, my meat and potatoes husband said he felt satisfied with his meal (as in, he wasn't hungry). You have to pay for your salads separate but my salad was amazing, I think the dressing was honey balsamic and there was fruit and greens in it with nuts, it was honestly the best salad I've ever had in my life. For my meal I had the steak and mashed potatoes, it was really good. They have amazing service here, constantly keeping an eye on your drinks, etc. I had a really good experience here and would recommend it to anyone. Just don't go looking for a plate piled high with food because it ain't happening!

Visited July 2013
Massachusetts, USA
“Good, but a bit overrated”
Reviewed July 27, 2013

This was our second meal at Mache Bistro (the first being about three years ago). Since it was my birthday I wanted a special restaurant. Service was great. Since it was an especially hot day, it was nice to have our water glasses constantly refilled! We chose not to have a starter and both my husband and I had the hanger steak with garlic mashed potatoes. He asked for his to be rare; I asked for medium-rare...but both came rare. Our server apologized for not checking right away and took mine back to the kitchen. As I feared, the re-cooked steak was a bit more medium than medium-rare and VERY hot. (I assume they took a torch to it since it was atop the potatoes.) Okay....but it wasn't really special. We were overcharged for the wine, and the server's immediate response (sorry, I charged for the wrong one) came too quickly. It made us think this was more purposeful than accidental. Overall, it was a good meal. Would we return next time we visit Bar Harbor? I'm not sure. There are a lot of good places to eat there.

Visited July 2013