“A good alternative to the pub grub downtown”
Review of Mache Bistro

Mache Bistro
Ranked #26 of 148 Restaurants in Bar Harbor
Good for: Special occasions, Local cuisine, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Description: Mache is a casual neighborhood bistro in downtown Bar Harbor, Maine. We offer an ever-changing menu:our appetizers, salads, entrees, small plates, and house-made desserts are prepared with the finest produce, freshest seafood, and organic & natural meats available. Full bar and eclectic wine list.
New York City, New York
“A good alternative to the pub grub downtown”
Reviewed July 7, 2013

Our meal here was fine, but there were hiccups in the execution of our dishes (e.g., the lentils accompanying the scallops were flavorless) that kept it from achieving greatness. This is a small and quiet place, so reservations are recommended. The service was good and the prices are reasonable - it's a fine option for a nice dinner, but I'm surprised that it's the top-rated restaurant in Bar Harbor.

Ellicott City, Maryland
“Amazing place!”
Reviewed July 7, 2013

Small restaurant in downtown. Great food, great service -ask for Irenie from Russia. The food is amazing.

Visited June 2013
Rockville, MD
“don't even bother”
Reviewed July 6, 2013

This is unbelievable. This restaurant was number one on trip advisor so we wanted to go. Process: leave a VM for someone to return the call. We did and provided the requested details. The caller who phoned us back was rude and tried three times to talk us out of our reservation. We'd wanted 7 - 7:30 and they only had 8:15 available. We are on vacation so we were flexible. She tried again to get us to "rethink". She said they only had a couple tables left for Tuesday night and maybe we didn't want to eat that late. We insisted and made the reservation. After talking to my husband later, we decided that any restaurant that didn't want us wasn't going to provide a great experience. I called back later in the day and canceled. Nothing is worth that kind of poor treatment before you even arrive!

5 Thank Lviehmyer
MacheBistro, Owner at Mache Bistro, responded to this review, July 7, 2013
As we do with all our guests' reservation requests, we try to honor the time requested. Because we only have 10 tables, however, more often than not we are booked...especially at 7pm (when 75% of our guests want to eat.) I have fielded restaurant reservations for 20 years, and it has been my experience that when I offer a table at 8pm or later, or 6pm or earlier to any one who has asked to reserve "at 7pm", 8 out of 10 people really do not want to eat that early, or that late. They usually take the table, but then cancel at the last minute, because they really did want to eat closer to 7. Because of this, in these circumstances, we ALWAYS ask our guests if they are sure that 8:15 is not too late for them (or 5:30 is not too early for them) based on the fact that they really want to eat at 7. Most of the time, the guests replies they are happy to eat at the other time, and I take their reservation. Other times, they simply say "yes, you are right, that is a bit early/late--what do you have tomorrow?" Unfortunately, this guests did not respond either way, but rather with an odd, combative, accusatory tone "it sounds like you don't want to me to eat there!" I explained that I wanted to make sure eating that late would be fine..again, her response was combative "well if I did not think it was fine I would tell you!" OK. So, we took the reservation, although I knew it would not end well. When she called back later that night to cancel, she also threatened "I will be writing a bad review!" We are pleased to be rated so highly by our guests on TripAdvisor, but cannot be held hostage to reviewers. We do our best to make sure our guests have the best possible experience here, and the vast majority of them do. And it is for those guests that we carry on.
“Awesome!”
Reviewed July 5, 2013 via mobile

This place is fabulous! If you go there don't miss the French Lobster Roll. I recommend a reservation as there are just a few tables. Very romantic atmosphere. Nice wine list. Every thing we tried was excellent. Waitress recommended an excellent wine to go with our entrees. Highly recommend.

1 Thank streepoc
Boerne, Texas
“Best on the island!”
Reviewed July 4, 2013

My friends have raved about Mâché Bistro for a couple of years. Man were they right! We were greeted by Houston who took great care of us. My friends and I shared a variety of appetizers, entrees and desserts and honestly I couldn't tell you what my favorite was. It was that good. The duck and hanger steak are definite must tries. For dessert the Pain Perdu with Meyer lemon was to die for. Make your reservations early, it's a small restaurant.

• Visited July 2013