“An Amazing Taste Experience” 5 of 5 bubbles

Mache Bistro
Ranked #22 of 143 Restaurants in Bar Harbor
Cuisines: American, Fusion
Good for: Local cuisine, Romantic
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Accepts American Express, Accepts Discover, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Full Bar, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Street Parking, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible, Wine and Beer
Description: Mache is a casual neighborhood bistro in downtown Bar Harbor, Maine. We offer an ever-changing menu:our appetizers, salads, entrees, small plates, and house-made desserts are prepared with the finest produce, freshest seafood, and organic & natural meats available. Full bar and eclectic wine list.
new york
“An Amazing Taste Experience”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 10, 2012

Mache Bistro is one of those perfect cozy places that everyone should have in their neighborhood. Everything about this place is just terrific, from the knowledgeable, professional service, the wines (both white and red), the delicious food, the welcoming atmosphere, there is not much room for improvement, which is a good thing. I for one would love it if they opened a branch near me at home :)

This was our second visit to Mache and it was every bit as good as the first. We started out with an excellent duck appetizer, followed by a bowl of mussels for me and sword fish for my husband. The mussels were juicy and plump, perfectly cooked in a flavorful broth, and the sword fish was truly outstanding. Sometimes sword fish can taste strong, or “gamey” but not this sword fish. It was grilled and served over a wonderful polenta and my husband claims it was one of the best fish dishes he has had. Having tasted it, I concur.

I wish we did not live 10 hours from here or we’d be much more frequent customers. This is truly a neighborhood gem and the difficulty in getting prime time reservations is totally understandable once you eat here. Don't miss this place!

• Visited October 2012
1 Thank travelerNewYork

Boston, Massachusetts
“Excellent dining in this unique and flavorful restaurant”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 4, 2012

This restaurant is truly amazing. My husband & I booked for an early dinner at 6PM. We were never rushed, pushed or hurried in any manner to complete our dinner before the 7-7:30 rush of diners. We ordered 2 appetizers, a squash soup & duck pate to start, followed by the beet salad. All were exceptional! We shared all of our apps and ordered 1 dinner, the lamb chops which were exceptional. We finished with a coffee, and a dessert soaked in something with a dollup of coffee ice cream. Not only was the food exceptional, but the service as well, attentive without being intrusive. One of the more fine dining experiences that I have had in quite awhile. Yum is all I can say!

• Visited October 2012
Albuquerque, New Mexico
“All these glowing reviews are 100% right!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 2, 2012

Thanks to the TripAdvisor reviews, I made a reservation during our 3 night stay in Bar Harbor. The food, the service and the atmosphere are first rate. I lived in Los Angeles for years and it was very reminiscent of the casual but stylish flair you find in a small, inspired cafe with a chef who's really got things figured out. Especially loved the poached pear as a starter, and our pork chop and steak entrees were perfectly cooked, and that's not an exaggeration. Loved it, would love to go back. It was a real treat.

• Visited September 2012
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Not your typical French”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 29, 2012

Great flavors great food. Not your typical French food but well worth the trip! It is a little way from downtown bars & restaurants and I think that is a plus too. Easier parking!

• 4 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Boston
“Lives up to the hype”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 27, 2012

There's been a lot of hype about this place after the NY Times featured the restaurant in its "36 hours in Bar Harbor" article. Between this article and rave Tripadvisor reviews, I had very high expectations, and they were completely met. The restaurant serves French-inspired "new American" food with an emphasis on local foods, which will make ecologically minded locavores really happy. Service was perfect and the ambience was classy. The vegetarian dish (portobello mushrooms with goat cheese) was superb, even better than the meat dish that I had (which is saying something).

Reservations are essential, particularly on the weekend. We made a reservation for 5:30 on a Saturday, but the restaurant was full by 6:00 pm. If you don't have a reservation, you can try walking in right when the restaurant opens.

This is the type of place that I wish could be transplanted to my home town.

Visited September 2012