“Exceptional Experience ~”

Kirksville, Missouri, United States
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Exceptional Experience ~”
Reviewed March 5, 2013

While vacationing in New England last October we were fortunate to stumble upon one of the dining highlights of our trip. Jack Russell's was an A+ experience from beginning to end. We were greeted warmly, received impeccable service and last but certainly not least loved the cuisine. Being two vacationing couples from the Midwest, steak is something we are quite familiar with on the menu of better restaurants. No disappointment here. Without hesitation we returned the next evening for dinner. From prime rib to eggplant parm all was excellent. Pricing was surprisingly in line for all that you received. Often it seems in todays eating out experienece overpriced & mediocre is the norm......be ready to be pleasantly surprised. Loved it!!

• Visited October 2012
1 Thank Debbie R

• Hebrew first
Middlebury, Vermont
“Warm and friendly”
Reviewed February 28, 2013

Not too many options this time of year, but they don't act like it. Our second visit and it was even better than last time. Great steak and owner/bartender ran the place perfectly.

Visited February 2013
1 Thank Geoff C
Lewiston, Maine, United States
“Second trip!”
Reviewed February 27, 2013

Have been twice - once for Valentine's and once after a hiking trip in Acadia. The perfect mix of nice for a special dinner, and casual enough for lunch and a beer after a hike! Delicious food, awesome staff.

Visited February 2013
1 Thank Jasmine J
New York
“Questionable”
Reviewed December 12, 2012

I am still left confused about this place. Are they trying to be a fancy steak house or not? The servers are all dressed in their Sunday best and have a manor in accordance with steak house. My first bout of confusion came when we were seated and handed paper menus. Wait, PAPER menus at a steak house? Adding to the confusion was that the wine list was on a hard menu holder just like you would expect from an upscale restaurant. Not only that, but instead of printing new menus, which I’m assuming would be fairly cheap, they just crossed off things they apparently no longer had available. Okay, weird. My husband and I are huge fans of micro brews so we of course ordered two of their house brews. Both were bland and my husband actually couldn’t finish his porter. So far it’s not looking good. We were served soft pretzels instead of a bread basket which is rather strange, but soft pretzels are one of my favorites so we happily gobbled them up. I feel that if they wanted to truly act like a steak house they should have either handmade the pretzels or serve frozen ones with a house made mustard sauce or a trio of gourmet ones. On to the mains – hubby ordered a strip steak medium with bruchetta (we were told served with Melba toast) and a horseradish pesto dipping sauce. The strip steak was definitely between medium well and well done. For a steak house this is just atrocious. The bruchetta itself wasn’t bad, but it was served with a HALF of ONE piece of Melba toast. Seriously - half a piece? Neither the kitchen nor server noticed this? The horseradish pesto was pretty good and thankfully he ordered it to dip the steak in since it was dry. I ordered the special which was a 6 ounce filet mignon along with mashed potatoes and a Gorgonzola dipping sauce. My steak was also ordered medium, but came almost rare. It was quite evident that while my husband’s strip steak was rather thin and my filet was very thick they had both been thrown on at the same time and more than likely taken off at the same time as well. Neither of our steaks bothered us enough to send them back, but if I was picky or expecting an upscale steak house I would have been extremely disappointed in their ability to cook a steak. The potatoes were fine, although served with a packaged pat of butter, which again is just not right. The Gorgonzola dipping sauce was incredibly good. All and all our meal wasn’t the worst, but to pay those prices we certainly expected more. I do have to say our server was really friendly and attentive and everyone seemed very nice. It’s just too bad the kitchen (and the beer) can’t live up to the hype they promote.

• Visited September 2012
1 Thank Inferno2727
Australia
“First class!”
Reviewed November 5, 2012

Great beer, friendly professional staff, and the best crab cakes ever! Highly recommended. And thanks for staying open through the Winter!

• Visited November 2012