“The best place to eat in Bar Harbor - awesome”
Review of Galyn's

Galyn's
Ranked #12 of 152 Restaurants in Bar Harbor
Cuisines: American, Seafood
Good for: Local cuisine, Business meetings
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed September 7, 2009

This is probably one of the better places to eat in Bar Harbor. It's location is prime location right on the main street with a great view of the harbor and you can sit on the porch outside overlooking the street. The menu is a collection of creative seafood and steak and chicken dishes that are well put together and with a great taste. The other thing that makes this place great is not only the good food but the great service which is both friendly and fast from start to finish. The prices are moderate and before 6 you can get great lobster specials. Highly recommend it!

Reviewed August 24, 2009

My boyfriend and I had a great time at Galyn's after a day exploring Acadia. The food, ambiance, and service were all terrific. Also, prices were reasonable. We ate outside on the balcony overlooking the local park and enjoyed - for our appetizer - lobster bisque and side salads and Maine crabcakes for our entree. For our beverage, we ordered a tasty half liter of the house red.

I'd recommend this restaurant for couples looking for a quiet date and small parties looking to socialize over superior food.

Reviewed August 23, 2009

It was my first night in Bar Harbor and I wanted to eat lobster but in a place with air conditioning. Okay, so it looks out over the water and the tall ship, and they serve a decent lobster, but it seems this restaurant is resting on its former laurels. Service was okay, my server almost tried too hard, if you know what I mean, and it looks like part of their job is to upsell to pad their checks, which I never care for. The lobster was delicious, and the signature dessert of blueberry/apple cobbler was worth it, but I could have done without anything else. The sides were boring as was the soup starter. There were lots of staff standing around that didn't seem needed. So if all you want is lobster, go to a lobster pound somewhere else and get the meat without all of the unnecessary fuss.

Reviewed August 19, 2009

Very friendly staff. Service was excellent.

Wife had sauteed lobster, son had a steak, I had caesar salad. We were all happy - I had had a caesar a couple of days earlier at Mama DiMatteo's that was much better than this one, though I paid $8 more for it.

Brother in law had seafood of some sort and was pleased. He is the fish lover in the family.

I can't recommend the bread served pre-dinner.

Overall we were not displeased. Probably in the top three restaurants we visited.

Of the restaurants we didn't visit except to see what was going on, the best appeared to be Mache Cafe, Cafe Bluefish, Havana. There were long lines for breakfast at Jordan's, 2 Cats and Cafe This Way (where we did have breakfast - reviewed elsewhere).

Reviewed August 8, 2009

This restaurant was recommended to us by our hotel and it was the right choice. I had a Prime Rib and my wife ate a Filet Mignon. It was wonderful. The service was elegant and not so agressive like in many other places we encountered at our US trip.