“Great Location”

Cuisines: American, Seafood
Good for: Business meetings, Local cuisine
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Reviewed June 28, 2013

Ask for a table with a view; it makes this place jump from fairly average to rather good. Located right down by the harbor, it has a really nice view of the water and the surrounding islands. The food is better than average, but not spectacular. Our server was working his first night, but what he lacked in poise and ability, he made up for in enthusiasm and personality. Others have told us that the service here is quite good and we'll take them at their word. Other than the Hartstone Inn in Camden, there are very few superb dining spots in Maine north of Ogunquit, so this restaurant definitely rates above average for the area. Prices are in line for the area; about $100 t0 $125 for dinner for two with wine and a tip. There is outdoor seating on the porch; but it is VERY limited.

Write a ReviewReviews (2,148)

Reviewed June 25, 2013

Charming little "home-like" restaurant near the waterfront, with tables both inside and out. Service was excellent and the food was very good. We ordered the seafood stew which had a nice spicy bite to it, the pork chop, shrimp and scallop skewer, and the fish of the day, all of which was excellent. Prices were reasonable. The beer and wine selections were not expansive, but the available choices were very good. Definitely worth a visit.

Reviewed June 24, 2013

My husband and I dined here for our anniversary. We had dined there several years ago and had the most delicious porkchop we had ever tasted. We ordered it again and it was just as good as we'd remembered. It was grilled to perfection with sausage stuffing and a tasty glaze. The service was friendly and attentive. The manager was ever present, checking in on diners. The atmosphere is pleasant with local scenic artwork, an elaborate wood bar and a nice view on the second floor.

Reviewed June 23, 2013

I had the lobster bisque for a starter. It was good, but not exceptional. For my entree I had a haddock sandwich which had almost no seasoning and did not satisfy me. Ok service. Beautiful view of the harbor. if you are looking for a good, causal place to eat in bar harbor, I suggest thirsty whale. I do not have any intentions of going to galyn's again

Reviewed June 23, 2013

If I was reviewing based on food alone, this could easily be 4.5 stars. Very delicious options and very well priced (we got their lunch specials) for the area. Their location is also great, with the charm of an old house and harbor views.

The host is a charming old man with spectacles, he seated us by the windows and told us that Martha would be our server. However, "Martha" didn't show up. The place was not at all busy and two younger women walked by our table several times without acknowledgement, despite our attempts at smiling to them. Finally, our server took our order, she appears to be the old matron of the establishment. She dropped my fork and then set it back in front of me while grasping the tines. She also cleared our menus with such harshness that she almost scratched my face. Later we observed her colliding with the glass window and nearly spilling a drink on another patron. Whatever is going on here, they are clearly disorganized and incompetent. My partner is normally a very generous tipper, but this was one of the few times in our life that he was reluctant to tip at all. In the end he did, hoping a share of it would go to the kind old man who was the only decent person there, and perhaps the cook as well.

Oh, the food. He had a lobster plate that looked fresh and was quite enjoyable. My butternut squash cakes were flavorful, with unique accoutrements of red onion jam (surprisingly delicious!) and fresh tzatziki with salad. Also, the blueberry soda was sweet but not too sweet, nicely tasty.