“A contradictory place to stay...”
Review of West Street Hotel

and 1 more site!
West Street Hotel
Ranked #17 of 41 Hotels in Bar Harbor
Reviewed November 2, 2013

First of all, Bar Harbor, ME is my second home away from home when I leave Europe and have the chance to visit the US. I do love BH's people, streets, houses and Acadia, too of course.
This year I had the chance to travel there the fourth time and the first time alone. So I wanted to have a room with a view, a classy place close to everything 'important' within BH. I tried the have a room in those few hotels which are close to the downtown but regarding the peak season all of them were full.

I have learnt that the locals were furiuos against the new hotel which rules the cityscape nowadays if you look at the town coming in from the ocean. Yes, indeed. Comparing to all the other buildings there, the West Street Hotel is somewhat too large, too vain, a real monster among BH's beautiful, old-fashioned, small houses.
However I felt I had to try it...

Honestly, from the very first moment I stepped in, I fell in love with the place. It has a charming, friendly, stylish atmosphere. The staff is friendly and helpful, the rooms are huge and well maintained, the view from the balcony is breathtaking and the bathroom both in size and in amenities is more than one could expect.
On every level there is a so called 'pantry' where they offer coffee, bottled water, fruites and cookies all day long free of chare.

All in all, I found nothing to complain in this hotel. (Their fares are quite expensive though...)

I know that this hotel should not have been built in the middle of this charming town but since it has been there...I probably will use it in the future.

Room Tip: Do not book rooms without harbor or oceanview rooms!!!
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank RS1620
There are newer reviews for West Street Hotel

Reviewed November 2, 2013

WOW. What a gorgeous, fabulous new hotel in the heart of Old Bar Harbor. I was supposed to stay at the Bar Harbor Inn for 5 nights. Read my review and you will find out why I checked out. (Old Lady in Need of a Facelift) I looked at a few hotels around town, but this one topped them all.

The West Hotel is sleek, sassy and modern - a boutique hotel - with Tommy Bahama colors throughout (blue,red and yellow). We looked at a deluxe king as well as a two bedroom suite. For some reason they did not have a one bedroom suite floor plan. They have a beautiful gym across the driveway and an Infinity pool on the roof (5th floor) which is the place to be on a warm night to look at the stars. They also have complimentary WiFi that is lightening fast.

The deluxe room was beautiful - with balcony facing Frenchman's Bay , but I opted for the 2 bedroom suite. Overkill for the two of us, but at $650 a night it was a steal. I was paying $575
at the Bar Harbor Inn for nothing. ( Please note that the price of the West Street deluxe room was much lower than that.) I wanted space, and this corner suite on the 3rd floor fit the bill. And yes, we did use all the rooms. Amazing how that happens. Give me space and I will fill it. You come in from the hallway and go down a short hall. On your left is the 2nd bedroom and bath with a large window. To your right is the large brightly colored living room with two balconies and the other bedroom and bath beyond with its balcony. 3 balconies all with magnificent views of Frenchman's Bay. A different vista depending on which one you wanted to sit on. And best of all we had a perfect view of the Bar Harbor Inn. it does look scrumptious from the outside.
Best to leave it that way.

On each floor of the West Street Hotel they have a galley with one of those Kurig coffee one cup machines, chilled water in the frig, and cookies/brownies at night. All free! In the lobby they have a sundry shop and computers. Everything is light and airy, fresh and clean. light woods, the bright colors, a fireplace in the lobby too, and it is right in the heart of town. They have their own parking lot behind the hotel so you never have to worry about a parking space. From the West Street hotel, you can walk anywhere and everywhere and we did!

Just a few things to be aware of. If you do not get a 2 bedroom suite, your bathroom will have only a shower, but it is gigantic shower with all sorts of bells and whistles. The bathrooms are ultra modern. Second thing to be aware of is that the West Street Hotel is on West Street which is the main drag into town. There is no set back from the street - no lawn - and there is constant noise which I found to be fun. Nothing raucous and disturbing, just the sounds of the town. I would leave the balcony door open a bit so I could hear the garbage and delivery trucks come around 6:30AM. I am a city girl, so these sounds thrill me. I love to hear a town come alive. I watched the people come in from the cruise ships and scurry around trying to find tours and shops while I just relaxed. Ha. The noise is like white noise, but the higher up you go the less it is. Hotel has really 3 stories. Street level had the lobby and gym.

Room service, yes. This is from the restaurant attached to the hotel -Paddy's Irish Pub.
We did not use it as there are so many fine restaurants in this town. I would suggest you go to the website for the hotel. They have great photos that show it all, and you can see our suite
on the corner of West and Main, the third floor - suite below us had a wraparound balcony :))
If I ever come back to Bar harbor, this is the only hotel I would stay in. Did I mention that the service was also superb and that everyone was friendly and efficient. It has it all.!!

Room Tip: Every room is excellent. Get one facing West Street though. They do have ones facing the parking lot...
6  Thank Jean H
Reviewed November 2, 2013

The West Street Hotel is located n the heart of Bar Harbor. It is an easy walk to restaurants and shops. The hotel is clean, nicely decorated, and the staff is eager to please. The rooms are luxurious and most overlook the harbor.

If you are thinking about spending time in Bar Harbor, don't miss staying here.

Room Tip: The restaurant is better than average but there are some other outstanding choices in downtown Bar H...
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank NPSQuality
Reviewed November 1, 2013

We had this hotel booked a year in advance for our trip to Bar Harbor at the end of August. Although it is quite pricey, the room and the amenities totally make up for it! We had a premium king room facing the water on the fourth floor, and it was spacious and spotless. Love, love, love the beverage and goodie station on each floor! The pool on the roof was a great way to wind down after a day in Acadia or whale watching. The staff is very helpful and friendly too.

Although we ate elsewhere every day (if you truly want great lobster, drive about 15-20 miles out of town....seriously. Go where the locals go.), we would definitely stay in this hotel again, and also recommend it to anyone who travels to Bar Harbor. I would not want a room facing the parking lot though, so make sure you ask for harborview.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
4  Thank SUEzq65
Reviewed October 26, 2013

My wife and I stayed here for two nights. Everything about the stay was outstanding. Friendly, helpful staff, a clean room with a nice view of the harbor and a great location. Loved walking the streets of downtown Bar Harbor knowing our hotel was minutes away. We enjoyed the shopping and the night life. Will stay again next year!

Reviewed October 25, 2013

Although it was the last couple of days before the end of the season and the hotel would close until next Spring, the hotel and staff were prepared to meet any need we had. Very new hotel smartly decorated with a real fireplace always going in the lobby. Definitely recommend the bay side of the hotel as the other side only has a view of the parking lot. Bathroom shower was big and offered rain shower and a hand held shower head. Free coffee, bottled water and fresh fruit was available in the pantry located on every floor.

1  Thank JohnValine
Reviewed October 24, 2013

Our stay (2 nights in mid-october) was very enjoyable. Great staff and facilities. Paddy's pub has good food and a very nice atmosphere. Great views overlooking the harbor. Close to just about everything you would want to do/checkout in Bar Harbor. Good transportation options to get around. 5 stars plus for a rating....

Room Tip: Go for a harbor view room, 4th floor!
2  Thank Rachel-Dick