“Location,location,location and dogs........”

Ranked #12 of 41 Hotels in Bar Harbor
San Carlos, California
“Location,location,location and dogs........”
Reviewed August 3, 2013

If you want cookie cutter,brand-name perfection,this is not it.If you want Maine experience,access to Acadia and Bar Harbor,quiet,ocean view from every room,this IS it! Our room has a full kitchen set up,fridge,sink,real plates,microwave,full stove /oven ,We are in 7110, not all rooms are so equipped.It is very quiet and our dogs love it.At 10 p m we are still on the deck enjoying serenity on an August Saturday night! The rooms are semi updated, not perfect,but clean and very comfortable.Be a little flexible.Stay here,you will be glad you did.By the way, breakfast is healthy and very good.Staff is helpful.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Beverlydbichons

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (370)
Bergenfield, New Jersey
Reviewed July 31, 2013

My wife and I just visited Acadia with our 11-month-old daughter and stayed at AO for four nights. We got one of the suite rooms in the new Atlantic View building so that our daughter could have her own space (so that we'd all get a better night's sleep). The room was very large and comfortable. We had a small balcony with a few of the dock and the ocean (see attached picture). The staff was incredibly friendly, helpful, and polite throughout our stay. Of particular note was the dining room staff during breakfast that were very accommodating with requests and very friendly with our daughter. The hotel is ideally situated between downtown Bar Harbor and the entrance to Acadia, making our days that much easier to plan out. We highly recommend the Atlantic Oceanside Hotel to others and would consider staying there again if we return to Acadia/Bar Harbor (which is likely).

Room Tip: Ask for a room in the new Atlantic View buildling.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Minneapolis, Minnesota
Reviewed July 29, 2013

The room we were given was very outdated, with old furniture that has definitely seen better days. The things that have been updated have been done so cheaply. For instance, the carpet is cheap, the bed skirt is cheap and wrinkled, and the lighting and sink fixtures are also cheap. This is not what I would expect considering what we paid to stay here. The room is also very noisy. The sound from the next room carries as if there were no wall between. There's moss growing on the outdoor carpet of the balcony, and the Wi-Fi is beyond slow. Although the view from the balcony was nice, I would not recommend this place to family or friends, and I would not stay here again.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
GM_AOH, General Manager at Atlantic Oceanside Hotel and Event Center, responded to this review, August 3, 2013
I am sorry that you found your experience at our property not to be enjoyable, and wish that you would have immediately called me so that I could have moved you to a more suitable room. We have 4 guest lodging building's on our 13 acre campus, that include an indoor and outdoor saltwater pool, 11,500 sq. ft. Event Center, Full Service Restaurant, 150 seat breakfast room, Private Sand Beach, and 500 foot pier that services 2 nature cruises boats daily. 2 of the 4 buildings have new guest rooms, and 2 of the 4 are scheduled for renovation over the next 2 winters.

We have just put in a new WIFI system that is state of the art and seems to be working well. Again I am sorry that you were unhappy, if you will call the hotel and ask for the General Manager and share this experience with me, I will be glad to make some kind of arrangements with you to make you happy.

Our Teams Goal Is To Become The Number One Service Hotel In Bar Harbor and to Make Every Guest That Stays With Us,Have The Best Stay Ever! Again I look forward to hearing from you.
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed July 29, 2013

Rented the Song of the Sea apartment located right on the harbor on West Street. The 2 bedroom/2 bathroom rental was in impeccable condition and included everything you needed - kitchen supplies, washer dryer and bath towels. It would have been nice to have 2 double beds in the second room rather than 2 twin beds but we made the best of it. The location was right on the water with fantastic views of the harbor and centrally located to everything in Bar Harbor. The staff was very responsive to our needs and any issues that arose during our stay. For the value, location and accommodations you can't go wrong with the Song of the Sea. We hope to stay there again in the future!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
Hilton Head, South Carolina
Reviewed July 28, 2013

We stayed at the Willows in July 2013 and I booked it going on the reviews of others. We were really looking forward to our trip as we were celebrating our 40th anniversary. We were very disappointed. Upon arriving, we had to literally push with a lot of force to get our door open. We told management about it and they said it was an old building. My husband is a contractor and knew this could easily have been fixed, which started us out on a negative note. We did have a beautiful view on the balcony but only had one very small, worn out love seat to sit on. We stayed there for six nights. The final blow was on the last day when we got back to our room and had no bath towels, only hand towels and wash cloths had been left. I had put a bath towel in the one drawer before we left so that we wold have an extra clean one. When my husband called the front desk they said they wold be right up, 25 minutes later we were still waiting and called back. We were told that they had a shortage of bath towels. 5 minutes later they called back and said" why don't you use the towel in your drawer ?" We were livid when we found out that they were looking in the drawers where our clothing and my jewelry were kept! My husband went straight to the office and asked for the manager... No apologies were given... He stated that the building was old and that is how they check for bugs! Needless to say, we will not be returning nor would we refer it to anyone!!

2 Thank Debbie G
GM_AOH, General Manager at Atlantic Oceanside Hotel and Event Center, responded to this review, July 28, 2013
Thank you for taking time to write us about your stay in the way the Willows. The Willow's is celebrating its 100 birthday this year, and we do have a problem when it is humid with the doors sticking, please accept my sincere apology for this and I apologize if our staff did a poor job of explaining why the doors stick.

I am sorry for the misunderstanding about your towels also, because of the shortage of closet space in the Willows, we store extra towels in the dresser drawers for our guests and this is what the guest service agent was a referring to. We also do wipe down all empty dresser drawers, but do not touch any drawers that have guest’s items in them.

Our Willows B & B is one of most popular lodging options on our property as you can see from the reviews on tripadvisor, and I sorry that this experience caused you to have a bad experience, I will be refunding a portion of your stay back to your credit card once I review your account, and again I am sorry for the misunderstanding. Our goal is 100 % guest satisfaction and that is a goal we failed to make with you and will work harder every day to make sure it does not happen again.
Sarasota, Florida
Reviewed July 28, 2013

From the minute we got there until we left everything was wonderful! We had a beautiful room in the willows. We loved the antique feel of the room. The staff couldn't have been any better. Everyone went a step above to make sure we had anything we needed. I was so surprised to see that there was gluten free bread and a designated toaster. That is a first for me. There is nothing negative I could say about anything. The desk staff were very helpful about the local attractions. They supplied me with maps and information. Kudos to all.

Room Tip: Ask for a room in the willows.
Council Bluffs
Reviewed July 27, 2013

My husband and I (from Iowa) were traveling with my parents (from Texas and in their mid 70's) and had two separate rooms. We were ALL very pleased with our stay. We each had a room with a balcony and view of the bay. We sat outside on our balcony with my folks (it easily accommodated the 4 of us) after a crazy day of sight-seeing, and enjoyed local cheese and a bottle of wine that we had purchased earlier in the day. The room was very comfortable and the beds were nice and firm. We also enjoyed a wonderful complimentary breakfast the next morning that rivaled most restaurant breakfasts! The ladies tending to the breakfast room were very helpful and ready with refills or to clear plates. "Wade" was also an attendant for the breakfast room and circled the area with a smile and shared information on the area. He was wonderful! We were all very impressed with this hotel and will definitely come back for another stay!

Room Tip: Make sure to reserve a room with a view and balcony!
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family